Quick help please???

How much hydrogen peroxide do you give a basenji to make them throw up? Do they throw up immediately, or does it take awhile to kick in? I was breastfeeding my baby, and Tosca "might" have eaten a plastic nipple shield. My husband was supposed to watch her, and hid it under a blanket, thinking she couldn't get it. I didn't see her eat anything, but now I can't find it. Will it hurt her if she throws up and didn't eat it? I just would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks!

It will not hurt her is you give it and she doesn't throw it up (what she might have eaten).. and usualy 1 or 2 tablespoons is enough.. and usually within 10 to 20 minutes

Put her outside in the fenced yard, or in the bathroom for easy clean up…you can also check what she throws up to see if she did in fact eat it...

Thanks everyone…I ended up calling the after hours vet and did the hydrogen peroxide thing. I could only get her to eat like half a cupful and that was enough, she did throw up. However, I am a dumbass and realized after she did not throw it up, that I accidently threw it in the garbage can...it got wrapped up in some other stuff I was throwing away. Luckily, Tosca just threw up twice and is now fine...she got some good attention and some yummy treats once her tummy had a chance to settle down. Good to know this method works though, just in case for the future.

I usually keep a liquide medicine syringe with a tube on it rubber banded to my bottle of hydrogen peroxide, this way everything is right where you need it just in case….. The sad thing is when the pup looks at you like what did I do to deserve this?

Houston

Glad to her that Tosca is Ok, also glad to hear of this method..my dogs are good at eating stuff they are not supposed to eat..like Moses, he just chewed two superglue tubes this morning..he lips were partially glued shut..with some rubbing with my fingers in the area, he is now fine, my fingers however has tons of super glue on them..oh well..

@Kebasmom:

I usually keep a liquide medicine syringe with a tube on it rubber banded to my bottle of hydrogen peroxide, this way everything is right where you need it just in case….. The sad thing is when the pup looks at you like what did I do to deserve this?

Yes, perfect… I too always keep a liquid med syringe with my bottle of peroxide... then you just fill the syringe and squirt it down their throat

@Kebasmom:

The sad thing is when the pup looks at you like what did I do to deserve this?

Worst feeling ever!!!! Lola got to half of a chocolate covered granola bar (completely my fault for leaving in reach & forgetting about it!). I was out in the country when it happened, so I had to drive 20 minutes to the nearest grocery store for hydrogen peroxide. The lines were long, the bottle was less than $1, and I had heard somewhere you have a 30 minute time limit before the chocolate does damage. So I grabbed $2, and threw it at the manager telling him I had an emergency. He insisted he ring it up & give me change, meanwhile I'm FREAKING out!!!
I go outside, give her a couple of capfuls (of course she's totally calm & looking at me like I've gone nuts, which, of course, I have).
We walk around & within 5 minutes she starts throwing up. She looked so miserable throwing up, it broke my heart. She threw up 5 times, and then she moved right on with her life like nothing had happened! She was completely non-plussed & I'm in tears, near hysterics, because I've done something so horrible & my dog is suffering because of my stupidity. Saying its "sad" is quite the understatement.

I know…Tosca looked so pitiful while throwing up...and here I had made the mistake the whole time by throwing the damn thing away anyway...I felt so bad! Luckily, since I only managed to get a little bit in her, she only threw up twice, and right after the other...so it was over in five minutes. I gave her lots of nice pets the whole time, but she still looked so sad 😞 Just a short while after, though, she was running around like normal...and I gave her some summer sausage once her stomach settled down, so I felt a little less bad after that.

@Andrew:

Worst feeling ever!!!! Lola got to half of a chocolate covered granola bar …I had heard somewhere you have a 30 minute time limit before the chocolate does damage.

Just wanted to share this link showing the amounts of different types of chocolate it would take before you see a toxic reaction.

http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01325.htm

If it was a sugar free granola bar, and contained Xylitol, that would have been much more dangerous however.

-Nicole

Looks like your connection to Basenji Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.