Skip to content

Gizmo vs One Kibble…

Show Off Your Dog
  • My dogs sleep with me. I really don't see that as a contributing issue.
    What I would do is get the b used to being alone is short time frames. As you have time, you can do it.
    That is, leave him inside, go outside and come back in. Make it very short, 1 min or less.
    slowly increase this time until its just a matter of routine.
    Keep the coming and going very low key, like you were going out to p/u the mail or
    put the laundry in the washer. Just routine, I will be right back.
    I dont' have time to find the whole printout, but will try to do it this afternoon for you.
    It does take some time, and it does work.

  • @sharronhurlbut:

    My dogs sleep with me. I really don't see that as a contributing issue.
    What I would do is get the b used to being alone is short time frames. As you have time, you can do it.
    That is, leave him inside, go outside and come back in. Make it very short, 1 min or less.
    slowly increase this time until its just a matter of routine.
    Keep the coming and going very low key, like you were going out to p/u the mail or
    put the laundry in the washer. Just routine, I will be right back.
    I dont' have time to find the whole printout, but will try to do it this afternoon for you.
    It does take some time, and it does work.

    I agree. My B sleeps on my bed and he hasn't developed any issues really.

    Just like with humans and anxiety/phobias, you need to use gradual exposure. This is why I got in the habit of always excluding Kananga when I was doing chores around the house. When I went to go do laundry, I'd shut the door. But a few minutes later I would be back. During that time I'd hear him whimper a bit but he'd calm down right away.

    You can start by doing this and move up to completely leaving your home for short periods of time.

    I started this habit right away with him and have never really discontinued it. I think its a helpful exposure to let them know you'll always be back.

  • Sure shows the ""cat actions" that a b have been described to have. Great show!!!

Suggested Topics

  • Prince Gizmo the first

    Show Off Your Dog
    8
    4 Votes
    8 Posts
    3k Views
    sanjibasenjiS
    @enquiring_mind said in Prince Gizmo the first: @sanjibasenji no, he's from mysterious talisman in Belarus. That's not even close! Ha!
  • ONE EAR… Cara

    Show Off Your Dog
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Well, she is 8 mos old and one ear up sometimes, the other rarely and neither really firm. LOL I have a defective-eared Basenji. All the adults though have ears up so maybe. She is so perfect personality wise. I just find the ears funny.
  • Gizmos contest entry…

    Show Off Your Dog
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    8k Views
    bcraigB
    I think you have it locked up, what is the prize? Did you sew his perfect forehead wrinkles into place?! ;-)
  • Some old ones

    Show Off Your Dog
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    6k Views
    irenaI
    @BasenjiByTheBay: Haven't made it through all of them but what great wrinkles on the little guy. Too cute! Yeah he has a perfect wrinkles :). He is a one of the few with this wrinkles in Czech Rep.
  • Gizmo has been born!

    Show Off Your Dog
    36
    0 Votes
    36 Posts
    15k Views
    nobarkusN
    Welcome to the world and forum Gizmo. Post pics when you can.
  • Win one for the Gipper

    Show Off Your Dog
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    8k Views
    J
    I am new to the breed and want to say that I am pleased to see some folks willing to step up to the plate and voice concerns. Bs are a different breed and there are truly concerns for breeding them as I have read some of their history. Thanks to you who share your knowledge and thanks to Andrew for taking concern!