Looking for a cool, fun name …

• Houston

Edgar will be very loved and well taken care of in our home, I doubt very seriously he would not take to us and our home, potential names and all.
    He is a pup and they are very malleable, so long as they feel safe and loved..again, IMO.

I have a friend that had a baby in august, she and her hubby, have yet to name that baby, they have 9 or so differnt names they are trying out, before they settle on one..Crazy, IMO, but it is just that an opinion.
    I haven't seen the baby yet, I want to have a name to googogaga to.

Diana, would you get your next Podengo from the same breeder, or a different one? Are there a lot of breeders for grandes in Portugal?

• I give all my puppies a name because I don't really like calling them puppy girl 1 or blue collar puppy. Talking to people and blogging about the puppies is much easier when you can say "Fudge opened his eyes today." I don't expect that the new owners will keep the names when they go to their new homes. Their puppy names are often whatever pops into my head about them when they fat squishy blobs. Fudge, Coal, Heart, Streak, Chili, and Pepper were baby names for the two litters born here. Sophie had her name before she was born and being the only girl in her litter she was obviously Sophie from the start. Fudge became Ramses, Coal became Cole, Heart is still Heart, Streak is now Rio, Chili is Zeke, and Pepper is Ringo. None of them seem to have any problem adjusting to their new names and new homes.

When I volunteered at the shelter we gave all the dogs names and most of them learned their names within a few quick training sessions and many got even newer names when they went to new homes. Dogs are so wonderfully adaptable and don't really mind what their name is as long as they know it means they are loved and wanted.

• I am the first gen born in the US and grew up speaking both languages - back then in schools the programs they had for those who didn't always speak English was to drag you out in the hallway and slap you until you spoke only English. Yes folks that was the 50's.

I do know some words but everyone that I had to speak Portuguese too is long gone. It must however be my pronunciation and rhythm as she responded far better to my mother a native speaker.

Re: Genetic diversity - right now at this moment there is 1 adult smooth male and 1 adult smooth female and 11 puppies in the US. 1 sister of my female in Canada. That is not enough diversity for a breeding program - I could just populate the states with dogs of the same breeding but doing the same thing over and over - does not advance the breed.

As we in the US have become more interested in the larger sizes - the Portuguese are doing more registration and are contacting us so yes there are some other lines available. The breeder of Hanna has a litter coming any day that is a different female and a different male that would be great to bring something here to add to what we have.

re: names - many years ago my kids commented that we paid more attention to the ones that had names so we have always 'named' them something - many stuck many didn't but they were all called something and sometimes more than one something.

• Diana your cool lady. I wish I had known you when you raised your B's. Thank you for answer on Genetic.

Rita Jean

• Chewbacca was in the original "first" Star Wars movie - so that is a "first" of sorts, right. 😉

• My daughter says - first Wookie in space.

• Ha ha ha. That works. 🙂

• Edgar could have many nick-names, Eddie, Ed-boy, Gar, Gar-man (like the GPS), Mr. Ed, and there won't be many other Edgars out there at the dog park!

Our Eddie is "Fast Eddie", original name was Skippy but he was not that! He was skinny but now we say he has "lost his "S"" and is just Fat Eddie. When he is in trouble, he is 'Edward', and he knows all his nicknames. We have a friend with an Edwin, little white fluffy pooch.

I like Edgar, like Dan, I prefer 2-syllable names. Wait till you live with him, some other name may stick to him that fits his personality. Big Congratulations on your new family member.

• @MacPack:

Edgar could have many nick-names, Eddie, Ed-boy, Gar, Gar-man (like the GPS), Mr. Ed, and there won't be many other Edgars out there at the dog park!

Our Eddie is "Fast Eddie", original name was Skippy but he was not that! He was skinny but now we say he has "lost his "S"" and is just Fat Eddie. When he is in trouble, he is 'Edward', and he knows all his nicknames. We have a friend with an Edwin, little white fluffy pooch.

I like Edgar, like Dan, I prefer 2-syllable names. Wait till you live with him, some other name may stick to him that fits his personality. Big Congratulations on your new family member.

LOL, that's funny Ann, lost the "S"!

• MacPack: that's hilarious! 😃

dmcarty: They did the same thing to Indians when they took the children away from the reservation and sent them to Carlisle, PA Indian School, among other places. If they were caught speaking their native language, they were beaten. I guess the method of teaching back then was if they won't learn it nicely, beat it into them. We've come a long way.

Your Podengos are very pretty.

Suggested Topics