• Pedro, this is awful news for you. I am so very sorry. I had a dog with fanconis, you will find a lot of support here. Its importand that you find a vet who can help you keep your basenji as healthy as possible for as long as you can.
    If you post the town you live in, I am sure someone can help you find a vet with the knowledge you need.

• thanks everyone!!!!! i'm going to do my best to help him live till hes'12 to 14 yrs old ! he'll be the oldest basenji to ever live with this sh~T!!. how much does it usually run in medical bills for this?.

• thanks lisa,i have been on the phone allday trying to get ahold of john at the ofa !, but now i guess i don't have to ask him about it now!!. i'm soooo mad that a breeder would sell a puppy like this to someone and not tell them!>>>

• hi guys ! i just called the pet shop and told them i wanted my money back!, one of the workers there said that they would to something for me but ,she herself could say whay it would be!!. does anyone have a blk&wht basenji that 500. w/shipping/??, please someone say yes!. that is clear from fanconi, AND I WILL NOT BREED HER!. WE CAN EVEN DO A CONTRACK WITH HER!!. . OH WHY WOULD IT BE BEST TO GET HIM FIX?, WOULD IT HELP WITH HAVEING THE FS!??>

• At this point you really want to lower the stress on his body and organs. By keeping him intact every breeding season whether there are females around or not he will get surges of testosterone. These surges of hormones will put added stress on his body. It is better to neuter him now while he is in good health to help reduce the stress on him in the long run.

I am sure that there are people on this list with Fanconi dogs that help give you an idea of the cost of the disease. It will be important for you to locate a vet that will be able to run the blood gases for you. Not all vets have access to the equipment so it is something you will want to find out now before you need it rather then wait until you do.

• Being in-tact can be stressful for them during what is typically known as breeding season for Basenjis, even if you don't have bitches around. You would want his life as stress free as possible.

As far as costs, there are some others on here with Fanconi affected Basenjis, so maybe they can share that information with you.

• Yes, getting him fixed now, while he is well, is the best thing for him.
    Re getting a second basenji. Maybe you should wait until you get your boy all set up with nutering and a good vet to do his blood work.
    That would give you time to get yourself prepaired for what is to come with your basenji boy.

• Guys u are sooo darn cool!!!!!. I guess that is the best thing for him! Being fixed!, thanks for everything u guys have done for me on the breed situation, and the genestest, & just plain out helping me with this!!. I might be able to get my money back from the petshop!, and i'll put it aside for his vet work. !!. And i'll wait on a nother one just yet!. Thks all for ur help & advise too!!!>

• hi Pedro - in the future I am going to be getting a basenji. I am fortunate that I found this forum and am doing a lot of research so that I buy from a good breeder so that I can avoid Fanconi. My heart sank when you said you want to give your dog back. 😞 I think there are a number of people on here that can help you with information regarding Fanconi, symptoms to look for, and what to check every month (urine). The urine test is simple and not expensive at all. Pedro, try not to think of your basenji as expendable. Your dog has probably come to love you over time, and looks to you for his well being, comfort and affection. I hope you understand where I am coming from. I think we don't cherish life, of any kind, enough in our world sometimes.

• With treatments, you will have many years with your basenji.
    Everyone here wants to help you make that happen.

• NO!!!!!!!!! I'M NOT GIVEN HIM BACK!!!. THERES'NO WAY I WOULD DO THAT!!. U MISUNDERSTOOD, ABOUT GETTING MY MONEY BACK FROM THE PET SHOP!!!.they are willing to work with me on this and maybe get at least 1/2 my money back but keep the dog!. I WILL NEVER GIVE HIM BACK! PLEASE DONT' THANK THAT OF ME I WILL AND WOULDNT'EVER GIVE ANY PET OF MINE BACK !!.I STILL HAVE YET TO SEE WHAT I CAN GET HIM ON FROM A VET TO HELP HIM!!. NOW THE VET WANTS TO DO A BASELINE BLOOD TEST, & A URINE TEST!!.

• but i keep the dog too!!.

• Pedro…good for you. It shows true heart to care of any dog...none of us get any joy from hearing your fanoni results. We all know you will do whatever it takes to make sure your b is as healthy as can be.
    We are all here to help you, anyway we can.

• thks!. it means a lot to me.this little brat is being a BRAT RIGHT NOW WITH HIS FOOD!! HE LIKES TO DUMP IT AND THEN PICK AT IT !!THAT LITTLE STINKER!!.HES'SOOO FUNNY HERE. AND AS A BASENJI OWNER I PROMISE TO ALL OF YOU I WILL DO WHAT EVER I CAN TO MAKE SURE HE LIVES A HEALTHY AND GREAT LIFE HERE!!. I ALREADY HAD TO PUT MY CAT OF 18YRS DOWN JUST LAST YR. AND DAM IF MY FRIEND CALLED ME AND A YR TO THE DATE SHE CALLED AND ASKED ME IF I WANTED A SIEAMEES KITTEN!. IT WAS LIKE MY BABY THUMPER HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THAT, AS U MIGHT HAVE KNOWTEST I'M VERY SPRITUAL PERSON TOO!. AND I GOT HER THANKING SHE WAS HEALTHY BUT FOUND OUT SHE HAD WORMS AND EAR MITES VERY BAD!! STILL TRYING I DON'T EVEN THANK THE KITTEN COULD HEAR!!. THAT MAD ME SOOOO MAD I CALLED THE BIT```AT HIM!!! BUT I'M DEALING WITH IT AND GET THROUGH IT TIME BY TIME, LITTLE BY LITTLE!!. I'M ALSO A HIGHLY ANIMAL LOVER!. THE VET JUST CALLED WAS TO DO A BLOOD TEST AND URINE TEST AND I CALLED HER ABOUT THE PAYING BIT AND SHE IS GOING TO COVER IT!, AND SHE IS STILL TRYING TO GET AHOLD OF THE BREEDER AND GOING TO TALK TO HER HUBAND ABOUT GETTING 1/2 MY MONEY BACK!!!!. I'LL KNOW MORE TOMARROW !.I HAVE 1 QUESTION FOR ANYONE ON HERE, IF A DOG IS AFFACTED, WILL IT SHOW RIGHT AWAY WITH SIGNS OR COULD IT BE DOWN THE ROAD???>BUT EITHER WAY I'M TRYING TO GET ME MONEY BACK!!.I FEEL THAT THE BREEDER ABD THE PET SHOT AR ALL AT FAULT FOR THIS ! THAT EVEN IF THE BREEDER DIDN'T TEST FOR IT THE PET SHOP SHOULD HAVE!!, SHE CAN SAY SHE NEVER HEARD OF THIS FANCONI BUT I DON'T BELEIVE HER ONE BIT!!!.

• Onset of symptoms can be as early as 2 years old or as late as 10+. It is very important that you purchase Urine Glucose Test Strips, http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=diastix and check his urine several times a month for life. If there is any color change on the strip then you will need to take him to the vet for a blood gas test.

• hi there, so would it be a waste of time to get a blood gas test. because i have been doing the strip test every cents i heard of this! zand there's no change in the color!!!.

• That is a question that is probably best addressed with Dr Gonto or with other people who have Fanconi dogs.

• who is dr. gonto??

• Dr Gonto is the author of the Fanconi Protocol, http://www.basenji.org/ClubDocs/fanconiprotocol2003.pdf, his contact information is at the bottom of the protocol.

• There is a fanconi list that deals with dogs with issues.
    They can help you with food that will work best for your boy and support you through this process.
    I pray you will not have to deal with the dog spilling sugar until he is very old.

Suggested Topics