• @NerdyDogOwner:

Yeah, which is why I only bought the small pack of 3Kg. I was not aware that Eukanuba was so "bad". They sold it at my vet/clinic, so I expected it to be the best.

Thanks for the feed back on this, gonna have a look around at other brands.

@agilebasenji, actually Norway has one of the worlds strictest imports laws when it comes to foods. Would be interesting to see it there is a difference in the ingredients compared to the USA.

I'll have to look around and see if I find a 100% natural product. Problem is, we don't have the big selection in this little country compared to USA etc.

Many people consider that if the Vet is selling it, it must be good… big mistake... as many Vets are not well educated in feeding dogs.. As I understand it, they do not get (or at least in the past) instruction in school about feeding....

If you have a bag, you can go on the internet and compare, but I would guess they are the same.

• @agilebasenji:

One more thing, in the US Eukanuba is not the best thing around, however, I notice the opening poster resides in Norway. I have no idea if the Eukanuba ingredients are better there, but I bet they're different.

We call it "jEuk"anuba in the Netherlands. "Jeuk" = Itch. I think that says it all 😉 And we have the same bags with the Basenji on it, so I think the ingredients are the same too 🙂

If I were you, I would try a raw diet. Or buy something like Orijen. I know they sell that in the Netherlands. Or Farmfood: http://www.farmfood.co.uk/dogfood/premium-quality/natural-holistic/all-life-stage-dog-food.html But I don't know if they sell that in Norway..

• Well I went out and had a long talk with a pet supply's store about food. I ended up getting Royal Canin (I bet someone has something bad to say about that one too).

She happened to know a lot about that "Dog Food Reviews" site, and we also talked about the Eukanuba food (which they also sold). The ingredients today are different than what is on the site, the site info is from 2005. And I just confirmed what she said. It is indeed different. I guess its been improved.
    She also ensured me that thanks to Norways strict food polices I can feel safe about buying any dog food sold in stores, and often company's have to remove some ingredients to be allowed to sell here.

Anyways, I bet a discussion on "what food is best" can go on forever and everyone would disagree with others. My breeder also said Eukanuba was good. lol, so the head-spinning continues.

• @NerdyDogOwner:

Well I went out and had a long talk with a pet supply's store about food. I ended up getting Royal Canin (I bet someone has something bad to say about that one too).

Anyways, she happened to know a lot about that "Dog Food Reviews" site, and we also talked about the Eukanuba food (which they also sold). The ingredients today are different than what is on the site, the site info is from 2005. And I just confirmed what she said. It is indeed different. I guess its been improved.
    She also ensured me that thanks to Norways strict food polices I can feel safe about buying any dog food sold in stores.

Anyways, I bet a discussion on "what food is best" can go on forever and everyone would disagree with others. My breeder also said Eukanuba was good. lol, so the head-spinning continues.

Yes, food discussions can go on forever. Still, RC wouldn't be my choice either. But I started Tillo on ProPlan. Not the best, but that was what the pet store sold me. They do that, because those are the most expensive foods.

Just start reading, maybe there is a Norwegian forum about dogs and dog food? We have a couple of them in the Netherlands and they are really informative! There is a lot to learn about dog food 😃

• I would bet that the ingredients in EUK are no different in Norway then in the US… and if you just read the bag, you will see the corn and/or beet pulp.... I believe if I remember correctly, corn is like the 5th ingredient... In IAMS (same company) it is the
    2nd.

• You have to take responsibility and educate yourself with pet food and pet health just like your own diet and health. A lot of vets and medical doctors are just ready to prescribe the drugs instead of "well let's look at the diet".

• Also, I mean this is kind of a bizarre way to think of it, but how much of the food is used by the body and how much just passes on through?

I find "Evo poo" (I actually call it that) to be very distinctive because it's so itty bitty!

If most of the "food" comes out the other end because it has a lot of cheap filler, aka "fluff" with zilch nutritional value, it's kind of a waste of money, isn't it? I mean it doesn't even get absorbed.
    And you're picking up more poo…..

• @mauigirl:

Also, I mean this is kind of a bizarre way to think of it, but how much of the food is used by the body and how much just passes on through?

I find "Evo poo" (I actually call it that) to be very distinctive because it's so itty bitty!

If most of the "food" comes out the other end because it has a lot of cheap filler, aka "fluff" with zilch nutritional value, it's kind of a waste of money, isn't it? I mean it doesn't even get absorbed.
    And you're picking up more poo…..

That's correct. The better the food the less you need to feed the less to pick up.

• Well, that's not quite how the production of excrement works. But you can tell by the firmness and smell if what you are feeding your dog is good. If it's firm, and does not stink to high heavens and doesn't activate your gag reflexes then nutrients are getting absorbed. However, if it's very loose, soft, and really stinks then its bad.
    This same rule applys to humans as well. So keep an eye on your poo! 😉 The amount of poo has nothing to do with it, actually in some cases more is better (like fibers etc doing it's job).

• Ive seen the Doggie Shampoo at Walmart with a basenji on it! I was SO Impressed!!

Suggested Topics