• hi everyone,
    the right time for me and my family to get a dog has come,
    and looking for one, we stumbled at the grace of the basenji,
    …and felt under it's spell.

so,
    is it true?
    you all in north hemisphere, you got your puppies in winter-only?
    (that actually means a 6 months wait!)
    or is it possible to find breeders for other seasons?

Andrew.

• Houston

It is true..most Basenjis have their puppies ranging from November through earlier part of the new year. There are exceptions of course, but I don't know why that is. I have heard that you can produce more cycles in dogs that only come into heat once, by giving them someting, maybe steroids…but I don't know how true that is. Six months isn't that long, it actually is perfect in reading up on the breed, search out a few breeders to visit and put yourself on a potential waiting list. There are quite a few threads on here as to what to look for in a breeder, what health testing you must look for and so on..6 months will fly..
    Good luck, and keep us posted.

• Sometimes breeders have adult dogs that need a new home. Often (but not always) these are nicely housebroken and have some obedience training and are well socialized. Since this is your first basenji you might try going this route - you'll have enough on your hands with an adult beastie (sorry I meant basenji :)) without having to deal with puppy issues - you'll know what kind of dog they'll grow into because they already are grown 😃

• ok,
    thx for the info,
    so i need to jump to the breeders section,
    since i am willing to wait
    and crazy enough to love "puppy issues".

but truly,
    never thought i d meet such a demanding companion,
    that it starts to demand
    (now, to wait to obtain it)
    even before one actually owns one.

A.

• @wizard:

Sometimes breeders have adult dogs that need a new home. Often (but not always) these are nicely housebroken and have some obedience training and are well socialized. Since this is your first basenji you might try going this route - you'll have enough on your hands with an adult beastie (sorry I meant basenji :)) without having to deal with puppy issues - you'll know what kind of dog they'll grow into because they already are grown 😃

I agree.

I've dealt with puppies before (although not B's), and I went for an older puppy. My B was just under 8 months when I picked him up. It was good to know that he did not have a destructive personality, which does appear true as he's only had very minor furniture chewing issues. Nothing full blown, which can be an issue with Basenjis.

Housetraining was extremely simple. I think it only took him a handful of days to get used to the routine. The other benefit, of course, is that he grew up around other Basenjis and somehow (:D) turned into a very polite boy. Most likely the most well behaved dog I have owned.

• Good Luck and hope you find your baby. Keep us all posted and we will look forward to pictures when your get Basenji.

Rita Jean

Suggested Topics