• @agilebasenji:

i'd put (surprise!) Control Unleashed book on your shopping list too. Pay careful attention to the Look At That game.

I so have to read this, Kim….I can't believe I haven't gotten around to it yet...can someone lend me some time, so I can catch up with all the great trainers here? 🙂

• Andrea -
    there is a video (the video is 4 dvd's and covers about 1/2 the book) and the LAT game is on there (disc 2 or 3). I'm also reading Aloff's book on dog language - really good stuff with lots of big pics. (so it's a pretty quick read, depending on how long you study the pic) The layout of this book is top notch. CU book is a little overwhelming with the layout and amount of info, but well worth the read.

• @agilebasenji:

i'd put (surprise!) Control Unleashed book on your shopping list too. Pay careful attention to the Look At That game.

+1 Just a side note, but I have to say because of your frequent recommendations :p, that I bought CU and I absolutely love it! It made so much sense after I started reading it. I tried the Look at That game during puppy obedience class yesterday (we're repeating it because Zoni was really distracted the last time we took it) and it worked really well. I was kind of doing my own thing during class but I was making decent progress in getting her to pay more attention to me and less to the other dogs. I'm curious to see how she does the rest of the session.

• @agilebasenji:

Andrea -
    there is a video (the video is 4 dvd's and covers about 1/2 the book) and the LAT game is on there (disc 2 or 3). I'm also reading Aloff's book on dog language - really good stuff with lots of big pics. (so it's a pretty quick read, depending on how long you study the pic) The layout of this book is top notch. CU book is a little overwhelming with the layout and amount of info, but well worth the read.

ooohh…that is really good to know. I will check out the DVD instead. I also have both of Aloff's book..I love them, I love the detailed drawings. I am friends with her, so she gave me a big discount on autographed them 🙂 She is a REALLY awesome woman 🙂

• @Nemo:

+1 Just a side note, but I have to say because of your frequent recommendations :p, that I bought CU and I absolutely love it! It made so much sense after I started reading it. I tried the Look at That game during puppy obedience class yesterday (we're repeating it because Zoni was really distracted the last time we took it) and it worked really well. I was kind of doing my own thing during class but I was making decent progress in getting her to pay more attention to me and less to the other dogs. I'm curious to see how she does the rest of the session.

Thanks - I'm so happy for that feed back. The book is even better the second time you start reading it. It's sort of a different way of thinking about training dogs.

• OT for just a moment. So many good books are always talked about. Could we start threads in the BOOKS topic specific to the book content for easy reference.

(ie…Thread title:Leash walking techniques
    Control Unleashed @ Amazon
    Learn how to turn stress to confidence and distraction to focus using methods that are 110% positive. Leslie McDevitt's versatile Control Unleashed program is designed to help "dogs with issues" learn how to relax, focus, and work off-leash reliably in either stimulating or stressful situations. Whether you're training a challenging dog on your own, an instructor trying to figure out how to help dogs in your classes, or an instructor who wants to design a special program just for stressed out dogs, this book is for you. Who needs Control Unleashed? Dogs that are uncomfortable or unable to work off lead around other dogs Dog that are easily distracted and have difficulty concentrating Dogs that are reactive or easily aroused Dogs that are anxious or stressed and shut down Dog that are unable to control their impulses when excited This training program can change your dog's life!) Then maybe a personal review or experience to go with the book description.

just a suggestion

• Sally Wallis on her site has an extensive listing of books etc. that feature basenjis - not just training guides - well worth looking at for even more good reading:
    www.zandebasenjis.com/books.htm

• @Quercus:

ooohh…that is really good to know. I will check out the DVD instead. I also have both of Aloff's book..I love them, I love the detailed drawings. I am friends with her, so she gave me a big discount on autographed them 🙂 She is a REALLY awesome woman 🙂

And so you're bragging to make the rest of us jealous? Not nice.

But it did work; I am jealous.

• @agilebasenji:

And so you're bragging to make the rest of us jealous? Not nice.

But it did work; I am jealous.

Sorry :o Don't be jealous…you have time to read 🙂

• @Quercus:

Sorry :o Don't be jealous…you have time to read 🙂

True, but the insomnia also helps with additional reading time.

aside: I've had insomnia for years. Not every night, but many, many nights. It's better with fewer in the bed, but . . . Anyway, the only time I was really, really happy to have insomnia was when I was reading Seabiscut. Other good books, i didn't mind too much to be awake at 3am, but with Seabiscut I was excited about it.

Suggested Topics