• I'm all for everyone spay/neutering all animals who aren't in intentional breeding programs (or need their parts for very specific reasons). I really am. But this whole "mandatory spay/neuter right now this instant!!!" thing is out of control, I think. I've seen puppies and kittens sterilized at 3 months at shelters, which just seems unhealthy to me. I think Yoshi is much healthier for having been able to develop to adulthood intact, although of course I'm glad he's neutered now. I would've done it at a year, given the choice.

• @Varanus:

I'm all for everyone spay/neutering all animals who aren't in intentional breeding programs (or need their parts for very specific reasons). I really am. But this whole "mandatory spay/neuter right now this instant!!!" thing is out of control, I think. I've seen puppies and kittens sterilized at 3 months at shelters, which just seems unhealthy to me. I think Yoshi is much healthier for having been able to develop to adulthood intact, although of course I'm glad he's neutered now. I would've done it at a year, given the choice.

Can you post a picture of Yoshi?

• Wow…how horrible. Keep us posted on Yoshi's progress...poor baby.

• @nala121498:

Wow…how horrible. Keep us posted on Yoshi's progress...poor baby.

It's Lady that's been in the shelter. She's had Yoshi.

• @nobarkus:

It's Lady that's been in the shelter. She's had Yoshi.

I'm Desmond. I'm a dude.

Yoshi's my basenji mix who I got in early June. He made me fall in love with basenjis, which is how I came to be trolling shelters.

Lady is the new basenji (mix? either that or quite small and stubby) who had to endure the spay-from-hell. Karen's expecting her in rescue, though I kind of want her to have a couple of days to recover without being moved around, so she's staying at my house, eating yuppie organic kibble, and laying on pillows like the queen of the Nile. If I keep her, I'm changing her name immediately. If I don't keep her, I might let Yoshi pick out a rescue basenji friend.

• …and I nearly forgot. Here's Yoshi:
    attachment_p_83159_0_photo.jpg

• @Varanus:

I'm Desmond. I'm a dude.

Yoshi's my basenji mix who I got in early June. He made me fall in love with basenjis, which is how I came to be trolling shelters.

Lady is the new basenji (mix? either that or quite small and stubby) who had to endure the spay-from-hell. Karen's expecting her in rescue, though I kind of want her to have a couple of days to recover without being moved around, so she's staying at my house, eating yuppie organic kibble, and laying on pillows like the queen of the Nile. If I keep her, I'm changing her name immediately. If I don't keep her, I might let Yoshi pick out a rescue basenji friend.

Sorry Desmond. Yes, too much bouncing around is very hard on the dog. I take it you have the 2 separated?

• @Varanus:

…and I nearly forgot. Here's Yoshi:

What a great looking dog you have there Desmond!

• @nobarkus:

What a great looking dog you have there Desmond!

Thanks! He's a great little guy.

Right now I've got the two of them hanging out in the living room. Yoshi's got the couch and Lady is on the floor. She's not into doing much except sleeping and snarking at Yosh when he comes by, so I'm just letting her sleep. Obviously I'm practically on top of them in case more than just cussin' breaks out.

• @Varanus:

Right now I've got the two of them hanging out in the living room. Yoshi's got the couch and Lady is on the floor. She's not into doing much except sleeping and snarking at Yosh when he comes by, so I'm just letting her sleep. Obviously I'm practically on top of them in case more than just cussin' breaks out.

You sound like a dude, Dude. So California. How I miss it sometimes.
    😉 Hey, good deed taking in Lady. Lady has been through a lot, poor baby,
    I'd be snarky, too. Keep us posted.

The spaying sounds horrid.

• @Varanus:

She'll mellow out. Too much change and upset. You're doing a great job! Just be patient and give her some time. Pretty soon they'll be playing together.

• Poor Lady, she is so lucky you took her Desmond. I hope things work out well for you all. It does seem realy bad to have spayed her immediately before going to a new home, one thing at a time is enough to cope with.
    Yoshi is a lovely looking boy. Please post a pic of Lady when you can.

• What other dog is Yoshi crossed with, he looks like a Basenji to me, is his tail curled?

• Obviously, she's not ready for her close-up. It's weird–she has no other Corgi traits besides being rather low-slung. Does dwarfism (legs short, body normal) happen in basenjis, or must she be part Corgi or dachshund?

I'm still waiting for her personality to come through, since she's been through so much over the last couple of days. I have decided, though, that Yoshi may need a basenji friend--he seems happy to have another dog that gets him in a way that his Airedale friend sort of doesn't, even if the Other Dog snaps at him. I've got time and patience, though. She needs a safe, basenji-positive place to get back on her feet, and I can give her that. If she's a good fit for our house, I'll be happy to have her in the pack.
    attachment_p_83217_0_img_0011.jpg
    attachment_p_83217_1_img_0015.jpg

• @Varanus:

Obviously, she's not ready for her close-up. It's weird–she has no other Corgi traits besides being rather low-slung. Does dwarfism (legs short, body normal) happen in basenjis, or must she be part Corgi or dachshund?

I'm still waiting for her personality to come through, since she's been through so much over the last couple of days. I have decided, though, that Yoshi may need a basenji friend--he seems happy to have another dog that gets him in a way that his Airedale friend sort of doesn't, even if the Other Dog snaps at him. I've got time and patience, though. She needs a safe, basenji-positive place to get back on her feet, and I can give her that. If she's a good fit for our house, I'll be happy to have her in the pack.

She's a great looking dog! The Basenji mixes are very good. I had one myself that was a wonderful dog. Her personality will come out. I think Yoshi will be happy with his new friend for life!

• Yoshi's tail curls loosely in one coil. He can straighten it but never does unless he's asleep or really upset. Animal control called him a shiba inu, not sure how. The only reasons I think he's a mix are: 1) he barks, and 2) he has rear dewclaws, which I guess never happen in basenjis.

• We got a "Basenji mix" from a local shelter and adopted him to a couple in St. Pete, they called him a basenji but he had short legs, other wise looked very basenji. I figured Jack Russell mix, because he has that personality!

Anyway, after I posted a photo on B-Pix, I got a couple of notes telling me about "dwarf" basenjis. I'll see if I saved them!

• Lady went to the vet today. She was scanned for a chip, but the only one that came up was the one that's registered to me, so I'm at a loss as to what else to do. I still can't believe someone would dump Lady (she was a stray, not "owner surrendered"), since she's such a sweet dog. She didn't even make any trouble for the vet at all. She's in excellent health, though of course she has some fleas.

As far as keeping her is concerned, my human roommate and her Airedale mix are out of town right now, and I'm not going to make any decisions until they're in the picture. The Airedale loves pretty much all dogs, but the human roommate obviously needs to be consulted about a) 3 dogs in a 2-bedroom apartment, b) Lady in particular, and c) another basenji mix versus full-on B. In the meantime, though, Lady is lying on the softest couch cushions in the house, eating snacks from the dog bakery, learning to like Yoshi (who's now being very solicitous of her), chasing the cat (if she doesn't stay with me, I think she might need a cat-free house), and learning all about bully sticks.

• Thanks for the update Desmond, Lady is a beauty.

• My roommate and her Airedale mix came back on Friday, and Lady just about lost her damn mind. Unlike the snarking that happened between her and Yoshi, Lady and Lucy (the Airedale) fought with full teeth and murderous intent repeatedly. After a lot of attempts to keep them separated and/or distract them from how much they hate each other, my roommate and I decided that Lady should go into rescue, so we took her to Medfly Basenji Rescue. I'm certain she will find a great home and make someone a fantastic dog. Anyone in Southern California who wants a thoroughly lovely, trainable, affectionate, and non-destructive buddy (and doesn't have large-breed or female dogs) should definitely contact Karen.

I myself will probably be returning to Karen for a rescue friend that Lucy doesn't want to tear apart in the near future.

Suggested Topics