• Houston

I see the embarassement factor in this situation, yes..it is almost like admitting defeat, of course depending on why your are letting the dog go. Either way the poor dog gets caught in the middle.

• @Basenjimamma:

I see the embarassement factor in this situation, yes..it is almost like admitting defeat, of course depending on why your are letting the dog go. Either way the poor dog gets caught in the middle.

Exactly… but to address the "embarrassment" factor... when it is something like financial.. certainly can understand and understand embarrassment, because 99% of the time they do not want to give up the pup, but have to. When it is due to (and way to many for this reason) because we now have a child and it is much to hard to work with the dog... or we never worked with the dog before hand and now he/she is out of control... I would image that the breeder may or may not make some comment... I would be hard pressed not to...

I know of a case that someone had a B girl for 10 yrs... then had a "surprise" human child... the B was never socialized well and especially not with children... they gave the girl up because it was too much trouble to work with the dog and the child.... those really get to me.

• @Rita:

I think that is much better what Pat does on her contract then to have what I would call a (MONEY) clause. Yes I also would hope that people would respect the contract and call the breeder back if something happen.

Rita Jean

The only way the clause is enforceable in a court of law is if there is a monetary amount stated. Even if the clause is broken the breeder will not get the dog back. If the breeder contacted a contract attorney to help them write the contract the advice they would have been given is to put a monetary figure in for breach of contract. Usually the amount is whatever the maximum in small claims court for the state is.

• I think alot of people don't contact the breeder when problems first begin because they think to themselves, "I can handle this" then the problem starts to snowball and they are embarrassed to contact the breeder and tell them things haven gotten so far. Then if still hasn't resolved they really don't know how to tell the breeder they think they need to give the dog up.

I try to email my puppy people a few times a year and this year I even started a yahoo group so if they would like they can swap stories there though most are pretty silent. I hope that by contacting everyone periodically that if there is a problem they will tell me. So far, I have had pretty good luck getting updates. Kind of funny the last time Heart and her half brother Zeke who live 400 miles apart both got skunked in the same week. Both full in the face and both ran right in the dog door and proceeded to rub the lovely odor all over the bed and pillow. YUCK! The owners told me just to let me know that in the future they will remember that dogs in bed are much better than dogs going into the backyard at 4am to find skunk.

• The skunk story is hilarious.

Suggested Topics