Youngest Basenji is too skinny

• Houston

I can attest to Honest Kitchen, or should I saw my dogs can. They love it and are thriving on it. I do, however add raw meats to it, instead of cooked, but cooked is definitely better then some dogfoods out there of not all, right?

If she wants to eat people foods, have you tried "Satin Balls"? It is like a doggie meatball mixture that you make and either serve raw or cook up, it is "made" to get a dog to gain weight, and she will get people food… Either search on the forum or google, there are lots of recipes out there.
    Have you tried serving her on one of your not so favorite people plates/bowls..pretending you are eating it and then offering her some. Might sound silly I know but hey it might work.

• @Basenjimamma:

I can attest to Honest Kitchen, or should I saw my dogs can. They love it and are thriving on it. I do, however add raw meats to it, instead of cooked, but cooked is definitely better then some dogfoods out there of not all, right?

If she wants to eat people foods, have you tried "Satin Balls"? It is like a doggie meatball mixture that you make and either serve raw or cook up, it is "made" to get a dog to gain weight, and she will get people food… Either search on the forum or google, there are lots of recipes out there.
    Have you tried serving her on one of your not so favorite people plates/bowls..pretending you are eating it and then offering her some. Might sound silly I know but hey it might work.

Satin balls, IMO, are not a good choice to put on long term weight. They were most developed by show people to put quick weight on a show dog for the ring… or a dog that didn't travel well.... Satin Balls are supposed to be made with the highest fat content of ground beef... works for the short term... not that great for the long term.

• Houston

That is true, I do know about that, but if it is a matter of her getting interested in food, by all means true different things and see what works. You should not give any dog Satin Balls daily for their meals for the rest of their lives, only to get some weight on and also to tease that appetite enough so she sees how good it feels to have a full tummy.

• @Basenjimamma:

That is true, I do know about that, but if it is a matter of her getting interested in food, by all means true different things and see what works. You should not give any dog Satin Balls daily for their meals for the rest of their lives, only to get some weight on and also to tease that appetite enough so she sees how good it feels to have a full tummy.

The only reason that I would disagree is that Satin Balls are the highest fat content of gound beef… with will without a doubt cause the runs... If you are going to do something like this, use a low fat ground beef or chicken/turkey instead. I have seen many that use Satin Balls with then gastric problems have a worse eating problem... better to go slow and use the highest quality food you can afford... regardless if "human" or product of a good company for dog food....

IMO.. if you baby them with food, hand feeding... buying all kinds of different food.. to try and get them to eat... you will always have a problem....
    I never gave in to OJ... he had his food to eat... he either ate with the others (all fed in crates) with no more then 20 min tops to eat... he ate or didn't... if he didn't he waited till the next meal... he was not sick.. very happy and healthly... he just didn't have good eating habits... then it was like the light bulb went on... and after that... he was an eating machine... but it took till he was between 3 and 4 yrs old....
    On a young dog... you just need to go slow... let them build up to good eating habits and this might take up to 2 or 3 yrs.... My OJ never had good eating habits and always looked way under weight until he was 3/4 yrs old... then it all at once kicked in that food was good.... It takes a long time with dogs with poor eating habits... or not much interest in food... the thing to remember is that they will not (provided they are not sick) starve themselves...

• Houston

Actually Bana, our foster, has learned the "hard" way that we eat when we do and once the bowl is picked up no more until dinner time. She came from having a bowl down at all times so she grazed through the day…I am not about to have that. So here she eats in the am and in the pm. For the first week or so she would take litterally 1-3 kibbles and then walk away and not touch the food anymore...Ok be hungry, is what I thought..Now, 3 weeks later she has figured it out...they all just finished breakfast and she ate all of hers, which might be a first..I could've bought different brands food or handfed her, but NO, that would only, IMO breed more problems for me and not necessarily solve her problem with eating.

Vicki, does she eat around the other dogs?

• There is nothing wrong with Bailey per the vet (except that she is a Basenji :rolleyes:).
    I decided to stop trying to coax her to eat and no more hand feeding. If she goes without, too bad.

Guess what? She is eating fine. Grrrr.

• @Vicki:

There is nothing wrong with Bailey per the vet (except that she is a Basenji :rolleyes:).
    I decided to stop trying to coax her to eat and no more hand feeding. If she goes without, too bad.

Guess what? She is eating fine. Grrrr.

Good for you…. typical Basenji...gggg

• Houston

Good to hear. I think she will be fine..

• I am so glad to hear everything worked out!

• If it's any consolation Koyu,my Kangal (Anatolian KarabasSheepdog) (who was the runt of her litter) would eat hardly anything when she came to us. We kept her going for 12 months on raw eggs (from our own free range chickens) and wholemeal biscuit. One day she showed an interest in her Basenji sisters and brothers and from then on ate normally. She also grew to normal height and weight.

Suggested Topics