Skip to content

Walking tips for Duna.

Basenji Training
  • I went to the store today and looked and looked at the head leads and the regular harnesses…and looked some more...and I still walked out of there without either..I could not make up my mind. I am determined to get Otis good at walking on his martingale collar. I dont like the thought of the head leads, and I don't like to look of the harnesses...silly, I know. A few more weeks of puppy classes, once we are done with that..if he is no better, I will cave in and get...one of them. There are two labs(huge, like small horses) in Otis' OB classes and they hate their head halters...keeps on pawing at them and are looking plain miserable the whole time, I want Otis to enjoy the walks as much as I do..so we have to work on it.

  • Ok..i'll check my local vet distributor ( pet shop, only this place sells even animal medecines) to see if i can find it there or i'll order it online…......yesterday Duna behaved well in town...is she improving or was it a "GOOD" day for her??? :)

  • I think mommies and daddys all, would not like to see their fur babes with a harness or gentle lead that makes them unhappy…but i think its just a way we feel for our loves, surely they get used to it in the end if it's introduced to them positivly ( gosh my spelling!!!!:mad:)
    I my self like you basenjimamma, is hesitating hoping that Duna will all at once behave during city walks....I'll give her some more time before i order the gentle leader...but it will only be in "extremis" when i'll really realize that i need to try an other method for her.:D
    Maybe the result will be so positive ( as read on this forum) that i'll think to myself: " Shucks!!! Why didn't i decide earlier???" Instead of looking like an isterick jerk, correcting, talking and stopping and turning back with a dog on the lead???:rolleyes:

Suggested Topics

  • Any leash training tips?

    Basenji Training
    21
    0 Votes
    21 Posts
    19k Views
    elbrantE
    @malik said in Any leash training tips?: so she isn't able to sniff around where I can't see. Honestly, "doodle's" nose is becoming legendary. I'll think she's smelling the bush (or urine on it) and she'll come out with a bagel in her mouth! (yes, this actually happened!) I have learned that she can find all manner of things that are clearly obvious to her nose and undetectable to my eyes. If your pup is intent on what she's smelling, there's a reason for it.
  • Do you have walking on leash tips?

    Basenji Training
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    5k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    I have worked with feral dogs in rescue who had never been on a leash, adults. Teaching loose leash walking isn't hard, but you need to back it with the "leave it" command. Mary's site is so simply it will make you feel faint. And it works. No pop and jerk, just good positive training. The lessons are on the left, other issues on the right. http://www.clickerlessons.com/index.htm I certainly would go through most the training, then get into an obedience class, but make sure by positive trainers .. go watch a couple of sessions first.
  • Any tips for the 'stay' command?

    Basenji Training
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    T
    For a teenage boy to be 80% with distractions is great. We're very proud of him and his Mom for doing such a great job with him. His little sisters Olive (aka Fina) and Scarlett will be coming to visit us next week. I hear they are also doing well, in fact I could hear Scarlett barrooing at her dad when he called to tell us they were coming for a visit. The bending thing is a mistake I make frequently so I have to remind myself all the time to watch my posture. Therese
  • Walks not enjoyable

    Basenji Training
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    16k Views
    jonny b.J
    Stinkers. ;)
  • Puppy training tips…

    Basenji Training
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    9k Views
    firefoxkatanF
    @Mantis: when Cairo cries in his kennel ( in there with Caesar) it means he has to go to the bathroom….i have found that immediate potty once out of the kennel is a great way to help with the potty training.... yes I take her out after sleeping in the crate and when ever she has a nap it helps ~Kat
  • Walking more than one at a time

    Basenji Training
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    12k Views
    WrobelzooW
    Thanks for the opinion. I will give a head halter a try.