While My Basenji Gently Wails…

• That is good to know. Kind of explains his snippy behavior. He is not out of control, just grouchy. That is not like him.
    It is also SQUIRREL season… there are hundreds when we walk... ok maybe not hundreds, but there sure are a lot and we have to chase every single one on our 4 mile walk. wow. WE get double mile value out of the walks. lol

• Ya know, I have often wondered about the fixed males just "knowing" when the season was. My first boy was 1 when I got him and, not having any paperwork for him and only wanting a pet anyway, I had him fixed. Every year, though, around this time, he would just be more antsy than usual, want to be outside more, in general, just be more of turd than normal. I just called it "rutting" season. (It seemed that the deer were more prevalent at the time too.) New guy was 5 when I got him, already fixed, and displays the same kind of behavior. All of this, of course, not being around other basenjis or very many other dogs, for that matter. They just seem to know.

• I was wondering the same thing. Dash has been neutered since 6 mos and there are no intact females around or Basenji's really for that matter. We noticed he "humps the air" around this time.

• Unlike other breeds male basenjis go through rut. It does not matter if there are females around or not, when fall hits, the boys' brains turn to mush as they go into rut. My male is much easier now that he is neutered but he still knows the reason for the season.

Suggested Topics