• Mauigirl

I really nervous buying from a breeder, Atlanta is close enough. I will check the website for BCA. Thanks for the info.

• @marlo:

Mauigirl

I really nervous buying from a breeder, Atlanta is close enough. I will check the website for BCA. Thanks for the info.

Why are you nervous getting a pup from a Breeder? Here is also a link on how to find a responsible breeder.

http://www.basenji.org/learn/ScreeningBreeders.htm

• I second Pat's post.
    You should be more nervous about a pet store dog….
    something you know nothing about it's history.
    A breeder would be where you go to get a well-bred dog whose parents are both health-tested, giving you a solid background on your dog's health.
    With a breeder, you can see the temperaments on one or both parents, as well as the littermates of the pup or possibly adult you are looking at...
    with a pet store, puppy mill or rescue, you aren't getting that option.
    As my kids would say "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

Follow the links posted, that will give you a good idea of what to expect and you should be able to find a breeder that has something relatively young available, or perhaps a retired show or breeding stock dog that they would like to place in a companion home [these are the Golden Opportunity dogs].

Best of luck to you.

• Kathy and Pat,

I am only nervous about buying from a breeder when I can not SEE the parents and the place where the puppies were breed. My husband and I purchased a Lab from a breeder and she is wonderful. I also have concerns with owning a B puppy. My B was 1 1/2 to 2 years old when I found him. He was one of the best dogs I ever owned. He was very good with my children, my neighbors cat, and the Lab when she was a puppy. I only worry that a puppy may not be the best fit for my family. I also enjoy rescuing dogs, my B was not the first dog my family rescued or fostered. I should have included the fact that I would NEVER buy from a pet store, and that I really enjoy the idea of saving a dog.

• Why would you want a B if you are not sure they might be good for your family. I am happy that you know what they are like and what can do but please do not get one if you are not sure. I am sure in my heart that all dogs or puppy's fir you just have to have time and lot's of love.

Rita Jean

• @marlo:

Kathy and Pat,

I am only nervous about buying from a breeder when I can not SEE the parents and the place where the puppies were breed. My husband and I purchased a Lab from a breeder and she is wonderful. I also have concerns with owning a B puppy. My B was 1 1/2 to 2 years old when I found him. He was one of the best dogs I ever owned. He was very good with my children, my neighbors cat, and the Lab when she was a puppy. I only worry that a puppy may not be the best fit for my family. I also enjoy rescuing dogs, my B was not the first dog my family rescued or fostered. I should have included the fact that I would NEVER buy from a pet store, and that I really enjoy the idea of saving a dog.

Some people that breed and sell for profit could not care less where the pup goes or if a fit to the family. They have no idea on the temperament of that pup and if it would fit with a family with young children or other pets… They put pups on a plane and off they go... all they really care about is the money. A responsible breeder is honest and upfront and will tell you straight out if a Basenji is right for your family or not... or that maybe in the current litter they do not feel that any of the pups are the right temperament for your family. A responsible breeder will help you locate another responsible breeder that might has a puppy that fits your family if possible...

This is exactly why you want to go to a breeder... but a responsible one that health tests, socializes their pups, picks the pup that best suits the family.. and has a contract that if for any reason the pup needs to be placed regardless of age, it comes back to the breeder, period. And you should always be able to see at least the Mom of the pups at a responsible breeder... not always the Dad, since most times the bitch is send out to be bred or "semen" is imported for an AI or frozen implant. And these days with many of us freezing semen, sometimes the Dad is no longer living. All this is the reason to go to a responsible breeder....

However of course there is nothing wrong with getting a rescue... like from BRAT or a breeder that is looking to place what we refer to as "Golden Opportunties" , retired show dogs that will not be bred, bitch that may have had one litter and will not be bred again, sometimes even a pup returned to a breeder (as per the contract).

• I have had a B before. I do not want to go to a pet store, I have a dog that I bought form a breeder (at her house.) I know that I want a B, but I am not sure if I want a puppy. I already know how the breed acts, but my Lab is still a puppy. Labs are similar to B's; they have a lot of energy. My husband and I exercise our Lab everyday. I feel I may need an older dog because I need to be sure the dog is good with children, other dogs and cats. I like the idea of rescuing. There are many B's that need adopting, and there wouldn't be if humans did there homework. I already know the next dog I want is a B. I miss everything about my B. I am not going to run out and purchase the first B I see. I have to be careful with the dog I bring home. I have looked at the BRAT website, but most are in the wrong state or not the right fit. If I end up purchasing, it will be from a breeder, but I would really like to adopt (save.)

• To me, I read that you have a lab, kids and cats…
    now, finding a rescue that fits your parameters is going to narrow it down a great deal.
    If you want it within a certain distance and low-cost... that is narrowing it down even more.

Personally, when someone comes to me with that criteria, I suggest a puppy. Even if I have adults that need a new home. I do not have cats, so I cannot expect any of my dogs to live in a cat-home without doing something pretty bad to the cat.
    I have kids, so that is not a problem.. any dog/pup that lives in my house for any length of time ispretty bomb-proof when it comes to kids and chaos.
    You have a dog, so you have NO idea how yours will react to another dog, especially an adult. You say it is a puppy, but does that mean a little 8-12wk old puppy, or an 11-month old puppy? Huge difference there. Also, it's temperament will gauge the kind of basenji you can bring into your household.
    There are so many factors involved... but going to a breeder gives you more luck in finding a well-socialized cat-trained and dog-friendly basenji.. be it a puppy or adult.

• @marlo:

I am moving to Louisiana in July, and shortly after, I will be looking into adopting a B. I have had trouble searching the internet for places where I may find one. I have checked BRAT, but there are none listed for LA.

Just because there is none listed for doesn't mean there isn't any there. There is often times Basenjis that are in foster homes that are still going through their evaluation period and then never even make it to the BRAT page, or may even only be on the BRAT page for a week or less before there is a home pending for them.

I am a foster home here in Oklahoma and I know that several time foster have made it to new homes before having the chance to make it to the website.

So please go to BRAT and fill out an adoption application, heck even if the pup for you is not in Louisiana BRAT can arrange a transport to get the dog from where it is to you.

• I do not have a cat, we travel to my brother-in-laws house often; he has a cat. My B loved cats as much as other dogs.
    My son is 14 and my daughter is 10. I do have a Lab, and like B's, having another dog helps with the boredom. Before our Lab, our B was happy, but after we got a Lab, he was ecstatic. When our energy failed, he had a pal. Both labs and B's are high-energy dogs. The two were matched in energy, but not in aquatics. We had a pond in the community where we lived. We would take both dogs to it, my lab would swim, and my B would play with the kids. I am pro breeder; we purchased our lab from a breeder. The money and distance is not a problem for me. I see how many dogs need homes, and puppies are the first dogs chosen. It is harder to place older dogs.
    I have fostered several dogs. Some came from puppy mills and the others abandoned. Our Springer Spaniel was abandoned at 10 years old; we kept him until he had to be put to sleep because of age. My B was also a stray; I found him wandering around my friend?s neighborhood. He was hungry, flea and tick infested, wounded and he had BB's underneath his fur. I searched her neighborhood for three days (it only has about 10 streets.) I also put an ad in the paper for 10 days, called the local pound and human society, and put up fliers. Not one person attempted to contact the shelters or me. In the end, I kept him and found out he was the best dog for me.
    I used to prefer cats, but something about Mo made me LOVE him. He had many cat characteristics, minus for the sharp nails. I have a feeling I know the reason he was abandoned. He is a B, he had immense energy, if you left him alone with nothing to do he would chew, chew, and chew. I usually crumbled newspapers into balls and tossed them all over the house. He really enjoyed shredding them. I did not need to continue this after we got our Lab; she enjoyed the B 500 as well.
    I already know the breed is for me, and I am willing to wait until I find a B that will work with my family. Do you realize if more people did their research before they purchased a dog; there would not be as many strays as there is.
    I have looked at every B on the BRAT page. Some of the ones that available are not a fit. For instance, if the ad states: (needs to be only dog) I already know that this will not work. I would hate to find a dog, bring him home, only to find out he does not like children or other dogs.
    I am not against purchasing a dog from a breeder. If I had to, I would drive to another state. My husband is in the military, we are actually in Maryland right now. We drove here from Tennessee and since have traveled to Iowa and back. In July, we are moving to Louisiana; so driving is not an issue. I just like the IDEA of RESCUE.
    I have found a site that features more B's, but many are mixes. I liked the breed because of their distinctive traits. I would be fearful that the traits would be different with a mixed breed. One my favorite characteristics are the no barking, but yodeling. My dog was also very clever and corky.
    I have started my search now, because I know that it may take me a while to find a B. In the end, if I have to go to a breeder I will. I however, prefer to select the less fortunate dogs that need homes. I also want to be sure that the B is a good fit for my family. It is the RESPONSIBLE thing to do

• Khanis,
    Sorry I forgot to add that I do know how my Lab will react with other dogs; she is a Lab. Labs are one of the friendliest dog breeds, and our Lab has a mild temperament with other dogs. If you have seen the movie Marley and Me, it depicts Labs perfectly. I thought that my Lab was crazy until I saw that movie; I soon realized that it is typical behavior for Labs to eat walls, shoes and much more. I laugh at all the stories on this site, but I always think. Our B's chewing did not compare to our Labs. Other than the chewing, her breed is an excellent choice for a two-dog family. I love our Lab, but she is not my dog. She is my husband's dog, and Mo was mine.

• Marlo, I am not sure if this has been said or not. Go ahead and fill out an application on BRAT and then you will contracted. As Basenji fan said there are SEVERAL dogs not on the page.

• Jennifer,

Thank-you for the info. I did fill out a form and hopefully I will find one. I have noticed that they have several. I also found more sites; they are not related to BRAT. I am looking, but not desperate.

• @marlo:

Jennifer,

Thank-you for the info. I did fill out a form and hopefully I will find one. I have noticed that they have several. I also found more sites; they are not related to BRAT. I am looking, but not desperate.

I'm not trying to bash other sites, but there is a site out there that "claims" to be a rescue but it is really more of a Mill/BYB and has been known to place intact dogs - not something a rescue organization should be doing.

Medfly Basenji Rescue and Colorado Basenji Rescue are the ones that do work with BRAT. Often times you will also find Basenjis on Petfinder too, and BRAT is working to get those basenjis from the shelters, alternate rescues, Humane Societies and other organizations that the are with.

• Here let me ask you this what are you looking for in the dog? As far as temperament, spunk, attitude, training, play, other dogs, does the age of the dog matter? Kids? Small furry critters (cats)?

Suggested Topics