• @Janneke:

Maybe the weather is getting better.. more smells outside.. bitches in heat.

Ah yes, that was my other thought. He is intact and his behavior is slightly different than it normally is. He has been very anxious outside. Constantly looking around with a different look on his face.

• Well.. I (read: Tillo :D) have noticed more than one bitch in heat in the last few weeks.. And Tillo really doesn't need to see the girl to know 😃 😃 😉

• I wouldn't be concerned. Gossy does the same thing - during winter she wanted nothing to do with being outside so her business was done quickly quickly. Now that the weather is nice she'll explore the yard for some time before she gets down to business. I've had to allow more "yard time" in the mornings before I go to work.

• Basenjis seem to know when the girls are in season, and no, they don't have to be anywhere near them.

• @nomrbddgs:

Basenjis seem to know when the girls are in season, and no, they don't have to be anywhere near them.

I'm thinking this might be it. We had some nice weather earlier in April and he did not act this way. It was very much out of the blue.

I'll just remain patient with him…. 😃

• There is definitely a girl in season somewhere in our area…Brando is more anxious and a little bit more nibbly/mouthy...

Also, now that the cold weather has broken, Brando takes his time going to the bathroom (both kinds)...no longer is there the urgency of the cold to get him to take care of business.

• As to how long they can 'hold it'…10-12 hours for an adult is easy.
    Mine have a dog door and often don't go out between 8 pm and 10am or 12 noon the next day, that's 14-16 hours with nice weather and full access to the outdoors.

• @MacPack:

As to how long they can 'hold it'…10-12 hours for an adult is easy.
    Mine have a dog door and often don't go out between 8 pm and 10am or 12 noon the next day, that's 14-16 hours with nice weather and full access to the outdoors.

Interesting. I've often wondered about this, never realized they can go that long.

• If you put peeing, pooping on command that might make it more reliable and you can spend the rest of the time walking. I have run into that problem in the past where they will take their la-de-da time outside and not do anything.

• Nemo makes a good point - get the bathroom behavior on a somewhat regular schedule (although an ex-trainer told me that routines are bad for dogs) - I've found over the years that worked really well for mine; allowing for some leeway.

• I have a fairly consistent routine. With the weekends being an exception obviously. I think that always throws him off course.

Surprisingly after I got home yesterday, everything was back to normal. He's not taking his time anymore. Even this morning he was not taking his time. So I wonder if it was something making him anxious as previously mentioned.

• If it's raining outside my guy has gone up to 20 hours without going :eek:

• Oh, yeah-if it's raining, that's taboo!

• @wizard:

Nemo makes a good point - get the bathroom behavior on a somewhat regular schedule (although an ex-trainer told me that routines are bad for dogs) - I've found over the years that worked really well for mine; allowing for some leeway.

I guess I didn't mean necessarily a routine but more like a command like sit but "pee now". Patricia McConnell usually recommends this on her radio show when people are having difficulty getting their pet to go potty.

• @Nemo:

I guess I didn't mean necessarily a routine but more like a command like sit but "pee now". Patricia McConnell usually recommends this on her radio show when people are having difficulty getting their pet to go potty.

Mine all have a command to go…but in the good weather, they still seem to take their time to go. Oh, and God forbid a leaf blows by while they are going, because they will stop and it will be another 5 - 10 minutes before they resume their "output". :rolleyes:

• This makes me laugh. Jonny b. LOVES the rain. He drags his feet to go in no matter, rain, sleet, snow, etc. Just doesnt like HAIL. :0
    Today we walked 20 min. in the rain! silly boy.

• I have a supplementary question along these same lines . We got our BRAT Ricky two weeks ago ( YIPPEE!!!! ) He is WONDERFUL . The only problem we are having is that he WILL NOT potty in our fenced in yard . In fact , it seems he won't go within 1 block of our house . We walk in the am and pm . He is very particular about where he will go, though he sniffs every available surface . While the weather is nice , I really don't mind this . We would be walking anyway . But when the frigid cold hits , it would be nice to open the door and have him go out , do his business quickly , and return . We have tried waiting him out in hopes of praise and treats once he goes in the yard . But Mr. iron- bladder- steel- sphincter WON'T go in the yard. Are there any suggestions ?Oh , by the way, once we are out of the yard and down the street he goes after a few quick sniffs .

• Jonny is a BRAT rescue we have had since January. Our first B. (I remember ricky on the Brat site! congratulations!!)
    Jonny wont go 2 NEAR our yard. He will go 1 in our yard. He will go both on command but I do not tell him to go 2 in our yard, and i know he wouldnt anyway. He will go on command in Tall grassy places, or in leaf piles, (like a field or a ditch). We are out rain, snow, shine, etc. He loves being out no matter what. So I own full snow gear and full rain gear.

• @LBRunyon:

I have a supplementary question along these same lines . We got our BRAT Ricky two weeks ago ( YIPPEE!!!! ) He is WONDERFUL . The only problem we are having is that he WILL NOT potty in our fenced in yard . In fact , it seems he won't go within 1 block of our house . We walk in the am and pm . He is very particular about where he will go, though he sniffs every available surface . While the weather is nice , I really don't mind this . We would be walking anyway . But when the frigid cold hits , it would be nice to open the door and have him go out , do his business quickly , and return . We have tried waiting him out in hopes of praise and treats once he goes in the yard . But Mr. iron- bladder- steel- sphincter WON'T go in the yard. Are there any suggestions ?Oh , by the way, once we are out of the yard and down the street he goes after a few quick sniffs .

I have to take my B outside no matter what.

It's nice during the spring/summer/fall, but the midst of winter is just simply brutal. -20F with a nice wind (colder windchill) will make any B go quickly, but it's still painful for us humans.

Suggested Topics