New Basenji person in North Seattle (pup is 1 week old)

• Hi Patty,
    It sounds really great to me. I googled it and there is info and pictures online and buying information. We will do a combonation with our new pup. The mat gives the dog an annoying sensation that they do not like when they walk on it. I think that I am going to use it in part of my training. I will turn the mat off when he has his leash on and he will be able to go across it but any time he does not have his leash on he will know that he shouldn't go near the exit door! I was relieved to find out about this tool along with the other training ideas that members of the Forums have given me.

• However… you still need to be very careful with open doors, scat mat or not.... since a Basenji is a sighthound and they chase what they see... just like with underground electric fences (which I would never use)... if there is something out there... no amount of pain will stop them running through it.... and if they do, what it does stop is them coming back the other way ..... since there is no good reason in their mind to run though the shock

• By the way, which litter are you getting a pup from of Kathy's?

• It will be the litter of Jumoke Khani Baru and Teazer's Skylark.

• I would also be caution when using an aversive. Dogs do not always make the connection that we intend them to make. If the puppy is often over excited when people come over and hits the scat mat when people are entering it may start associating visitors coming over with the uncomfortable sensation. When you have people coming and going try to make use of a barrier or leash to prevent the puppy from rushing the door to avoid negative associations with people coming and going.

• Yes, I have started the training process around here already. This is not only with my kids but my husband and the neighbor's kids. I know the neighbor kids must think I am a little crazy now. "What's the deal with this lady and the dog she doesn't even have yet?"

• Dear Wizard

Thank you for the info. I have a 4 year old who despite us trying all sorts of methods continues to jump on the table just for the hell of it. These mats are certainly worth a try.

Also Saralars and Tanza for your comments and the link.

I'll let you know when I finally get one if it is successful. Although as you know it takes a lot to stop a determined Basenji!!

• @tanza:

However… you still need to be very careful with open doors, scat mat or not.... since a Basenji is a sighthound and they chase what they see... just like with underground electric fences (which I would never use)… if there is something out there... no amount of pain will stop them running through it.... and if they do, what it does stop is them coming back the other way ..... since there is no good reason in their mind to run though the shock

Just another thought on the statement bolded above…. In an suburban or rural environment those underground fences can be a death sentence to some dogs. Any vicious stray or coyote has open access to your yard, while the well trained, collared pet has no means of escape.

• We built a little fence with a self-closing gate around our little front area, small, about 3 X 6 ft. Even if they bolt out the door, they don't go anywhere. After a while they don't bolt! It is a reminder for us too not open the gate till the door is closed! Not sure if anything like that is possible where you live, but it has kept us sane with multiple basenjis!

• Thanks MacPack, I think I could do that or rather have it done by someone. I know if we did it, it would look like we did it!

• @lvoss:

I would also be caution when using an aversive. Dogs do not always make the connection that we intend them to make. If the puppy is often over excited when people come over and hits the scat mat when people are entering it may start associating visitors coming over with the uncomfortable sensation. When you have people coming and going try to make use of a barrier or leash to prevent the puppy from rushing the door to avoid negative associations with people coming and going.

VERY very good point!!! A leash or solid barrier (baby gate) is a much better barrier to have when welcoming guests.

For training for the scat mat or teaching the dog to avoid certain areas it's best to use with something that really should be avoided - like the garbage can - I got a boy that just didn't get it right away, and it took him quite awhile to realize that the Scat Mat and Trash can were things to avoid LOL. And he's a very vocally sensitive boy so even with it on low he'd screech out half the time he'd get the little zap. And it is really nothing more than a light static shock on low.

@tanza:

However… you still need to be very careful with open doors, scat mat or not.... since a Basenji is a sighthound and they chase what they see... just like with underground electric fences (which I would never use)... if there is something out there... no amount of pain will stop them running through it.... and if they do, what it does stop is them coming back the other way ..... since there is no good reason in their mind to run though the shock

Agree fully, one of my dogs will jump one scat mat but not two, so I lay two back to back. My other dog however when we come home is so excited coming out of the crate he shoots right over them once, then comes flying back over them again and then skids all around in the middle of the two dancing around trying to not get shocked; (neither one knows that their not even turned on any more LMAO)

• Hello & welcome from Canada. There is a lot of good info here on this topic that anyone considering a B should read.

G

• Hi Gneigum,
    Thank you for welcome. Your'e the first! I think it might be because I actually don't have the puppy yet! We are very excited about the pup. Even though it is still weeks away I am counting the days down!
    Thank you,
    Saralars

• awww…. post pics as soon as you get them! we love puppy pics!!!!!! and i'll second that welcome to the forum (even though i'm a brand-new addition myself...)!

• I'll second the welcome-I'm usually late anyway! I bet you're so excited and already making 'puppy baskets'. Buying everything puppy! Good luck!

• Thanks Sasha and Arlene! I am excited. Although, last night I went on our local Human Society website and I started to feel guilty… I have always had animals that came from the shelter and our shepherd was a rescue, yes they have had their share of issues but have always been able to over come with help and been valued members of our family. I know that we have been very lucky with our pets with no health issues. Have you guys felt this guilt too, about getting an PB when there are so many others that need us even more? Maybe your Basenjis are rescued? I feel sick when I see people, on this site even, that are getting their pups from breeders that have several different breeds and offering so many puppies and even though I am not supporting one of those 'breeders' I wonder what I am doing to propel this problem by not getting a rescued or shelter dog? Can you tell, I just love all dogs and some people too!

• Humane is a double edged sword IMO. Yes, they do help dogs, but there are problems with the agency as well. There are many breeds that would now be extinct except for breeders who had the dedication to keep the breed alive. Basenji's would never be known in the world except for dedication of someone who decided to take them from Africa. The Chinook was saved from extinction in 1981 with 11 breedable dogs! So breeders have their place, and definitely the humane has it's place. I don't discount them, there are just two sides to the story. Of course this is MO only!

Suggested Topics