AKC Registration for Dogs from "Other" Domestic Registries

• Just wondering what y'all think of this:

See AKC's dog registry FAQs (http://www.akc.org/contact/answer_center/faq_dogreg.cfm). It appears that you CAN register dogs from other registries if an AKC pedigree can be proven (via DNA, I'm guessing).

"…For a dog with papers from another domestic registry
    AKC has a new program where we are researching pedigrees of dogs that do not have AKC paperwork to determine if the dog comes from AKC registrable stock.
    The dog may qualify for registration if the pedigree shows no break in AKC lineage and the dogs in the pedigree originate from AKC registrable stock...."

There's quite a bit of discussion in another pet forum I belong to about this. Especially concerning breeder limitations/restrictions on AKC registration re breeder-imposed spaying/neutering before AKC papers are transferred. Some pet forum members have [supposedly] even contacted the AKC about it and have gotten vague and ambiguous answers to point-blank questions. (AKC's standard response seems to be, "send in whatever documentation you have about the dog's pedigree, and we'll check it out.")

Any thoughts?

(Sorry if this has been brought up before and I missed it.)

• I have seen this…. and I will comment about "restrictions"... it is AKC policy that papers are "passed" at the time of sale, however as noted some breeders hold papers until proof of spay/neuter and I fully support this, with the following exceptions. There should always be a contract as to what is expected by the new owner and discussed before hand, such as spay/neuter requirements or limited registration. When I place a pup, I register the pup with the new owner and myself as co-owner. The papers are mark limited registration. The contract between myself and the puppy buyer clearly states what the expectations are... from both parties. When those are met, the papers are signed over to the puppy buyer.

• It sounds like reputable breeders don't have to worry about this, Pat? As a reputable breeder will register the litter, and that would be caught(?) if a disreputable buyer tried to circumvent limited registration by going this route?

• @gbroxon:

It sounds like reputable breeders don't have to worry about this, Pat? As a reputable breeder will register the litter, and that would be caught(?) if a disreputable buyer tried to circumvent limited registration by going this route?

This would help people that purchase a dog that "was" AKC but they (BYB's or Puppymillers) don't want to do the DNA AKC requirement or pay to register the litter.

However, it bring up another point… just because a breeder "says" here is the pedigree, doesn't mean it really belongs to that dog. Of course that is one of the reasons that AKC started the required frequent sire requirement of DNA on file. And the reason that many BYB's and Puppymills then started their own "registries" If AKC were to say, OK you can register, but must be spay/neuters as it is with their PAL/ILP program (conditional registration) I would not have objections. I know of dogs registered and there is no way that the pedigee of that dog represents the sire and dam.

Suggested Topics