• Hi All,
    My 8 yr old girl had abnormal (high) results for ALT levels at her annual exam. The test was performed again, and the levels were almost double the original test results. From there, an x-ray and bile acids test were done: The x-ray showed her liver is on the small side, and the bile acids test values were high for both the first and second draws. The vet is now suggesting 2 approaches: 1) give antibiotics and supplements to treat for infection or, 2) have a liver biopsy performed. She has been on a raw diet for three years.

Does anyone have experience with this in basenji's? She does not show presence of Fanconi.

Any information, experiences or advice will be very much welcomed. I am very upset over this, if it weren't for her, I wouldn't be here today… She is very very sweet and special to me.
    Thank you.
    Dawn
    Dawn
    Serket's Mom

• I would suggest an ultrasound to determine is there are any tumors present… my Mickii presented a tumor on her Adrenal Gland that was removed, while being non-cancer... it very well could have been. Usually high liver values present themselves as "something" else going on. And I think I would opt for the biopsy.... My Kristii had a grapefruit sized liver tumor that was removed... also no cancer... (that was at age 11).... there are meds for liver that do quite well, but first you need to rule out what might be going on...

• Thank you so much Pat. I guess that is the next step. I am very worried having never been through this. I appreciate your response and support.
    Dawn and Serket

• I can give you any advice, but to give you a hug and hope your b comes out of this ok.
    Hugs, hugs, hugs.
    Do let us know what the tests show.
    We are here for you.

• Blaze has no liver. It disappeared at some point and we don't actually know why. At one point he did eat a AAA battery, and he has also overdosed on "no-stain-grass" pills. But when he rapidly lost a lot of weight, we took him in for a battery of tests and medication. After determining that it wasn't a tumor, and his lowest weight was 12 pounds, we found the perfect combination of medications. He gets a daily dose of Viokase pancrelipase powder and Flagyl pills with his meals. He's been on this for over a year and is fine now, with a healthy weight of 21 pounds.
    I'm sure your vet will figure out whats wrong and fix your B up

• Wow, I had no idea anything could live without a liver. I am shocked your dog has none and is still going. Good job for this..
    Good for you for sharing this with us.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Wow, I had no idea anything could live without a liver. I am shocked your dog has none and is still going. Good job for this..
    Good for you for sharing this with us.

My response exactly… how do you live without a liver?

• My B was diagnosed with severe liver disease and cirrhosis at age 11…he's 13 now. His liver was 1/3 the size of a normal one, and his lab tests were off the charts. If I hadn't gotten him to the vet in time, he would've certainly died within a few days. Even with treatment, the vet only gave him 6 months to a year. He started out with a bunch of medicines: milk thistle, prednisone, antibiotic, vitamin E, Sam-E, pepcid and Ursodiol. The doctor also recommended a lower protein diet...no red meat or organ meats. Egg, white meat chicken and turkey, and white fish are OK. He also eats lots of veggies and pasta or rice mixed in with with the meat. Right now, he's off of most of the meds except for the ursodiol and pepcid. Sometimes, he also likes to eat yogurt or cottage cheese. The vet originally put him on Science Diet liver formula, but that stuff is horrible.

• The vet said that if it happens gradually, the pancrease attempts to take on the work of the liver. I have no idea how this works, but I'm glad it does! The Viokase breaks down his food, making it easier for him to digest, and the pills help with the acidity in his intestines. When we just had him on the powder, his poop was so acidic, it burnt the hairs off of his rear. And everything he eats must have the Viokase on it, or else he doesn't get any nutrience from it, and it comes out like playdo. So now he resorts to worse methods than begging… like stealing right off the fork. grrr

• @Knipper:

The vet said that if it happens gradually, the pancrease attempts to take on the work of the liver. I have no idea how this works, but I'm glad it does! The Viokase breaks down his food, making it easier for him to digest, and the pills help with the acidity in his intestines. When we just had him on the powder, his poop was so acidic, it burnt the hairs off of his rear. And everything he eats must have the Viokase on it, or else he doesn't get any nutrience from it, and it comes out like playdo. So now he resorts to worse methods than begging… like stealing right off the fork. grrr

You mean he did do that before… 😃 (stealing off the fork)

But thanks for posting that.. very interesting... as we all have said, we learn something new every day....

• LOL oh he did, but rarely. Now it's a nightly occurance, and I was angry when I wrote that, he just ate my last dessert dumpling! yup, I'm still mad…

Suggested Topics