• I wanted to bump this thread…

I've been using the regular flavour Petzlife gel on Ruby (4yo) now for 2 weeks (3x a week, per the bottle) and I cannot believe the difference in her teeth and her breath. Her breath changed within the first 2 times of using it. I fully expect that if it keeps working the way it has, that in another 2 weeks there will be no sign of plaque at all. Her teeth were starting to look not so good, but this stuff has changed that! I cannot believe it works this great!

Count me in as someone that now swears by this product.

BTW, I was in a store in a pet store in New Jersey and found it for $20! What a deal!

• Definately worth getting a second vet to look and give you a price. I looked around when Benji needed his teeth doing and managed to find a vet quite a bit cheaper and most importantly a good vet.
    I know what you mean about the bad breath, Benjis could strip paint, lol.
    Seriously though it is most unpleasant. Can anyone tell me why it is that smaller Dogs tend to get tooth problems? Our big Dog has wonderfull teeth at the age of 11.

• @moetmum:

We have started using it today!! Mainly Fiji who is having gel and spray (much to her disgust) and my three youngsters are just having the spray as maintenance.

Hi Moetmum. Not seen you on here for a while. I was wondering where you purchase the Petzlife from in the UK as Nakura's breath smells like something has died inside her and I'd love to give something new a try. 🙂

• @renaultf1:

I wanted to bump this thread…

I've been using the regular flavour Petzlife gel on Ruby (4yo) now for 2 weeks (3x a week, per the bottle) and I cannot believe the difference in her teeth and her breath. Her breath changed within the first 2 times of using it. I fully expect that if it keeps working the way it has, that in another 2 weeks there will be no sign of plaque at all. Her teeth were starting to look not so good, but this stuff has changed that! I cannot believe it works this great!

Count me in as someone that now swears by this product.

BTW, I was in a store in a pet store in New Jersey and found it for $20! What a deal!

I've been using it a few times per week for the last few months. Recent visit to the vet brought high remarks for his dental hygiene.

The grain alcohol in the gel should be a big part of why their breath improves. It should kill all/most of the bacteria that is causing it.

• @Benkura:

Hi Moetmum. Not seen you on here for a while. I was wondering where you purchase the Petzlife from in the UK as Nakura's breath smells like something has died inside her and I'd love to give something new a try. 🙂

Maybe its an age thing Nakura is a similar age to Fiji isn't she?

I can't remember where I bought it, I googled it and found a distributor in this country, I bought both spray and gel, mainly for Fiji, I found it effective. I used the spray on all of them in the evening, then the spray and the gel first thing in the morning, they aren't supposed to have anything for a while before or after for it to work properly. I do occasionally give them raw chicken wings as well, apart from Chico who hates raw poultry!

• I've brushed all my others for years. I now have started brushing the new tri I got and he does not mind it too much. I just use water only and get it wet then first let him just chew it a little and they will get used to the feel of the brush in their mouth. Just don't force it as even with a soft brush the gums are sensitive. Make it an enjoyable then they will let you hold them gently by the top of the muzzle and lift the lip and brush using down strokes. Always very gently. Any uncomfortableness just back off.

• @moetmum:

Maybe its an age thing Nakura is a similar age to Fiji isn't she?

Nakura will be 6 this year. How time flys!!!
    Her breath has always been smelly. Skipper, her half brother, has always had bad Basenji breath too!
    I'll be trying out this new wonder stuff very soon.

• I use Logic toothpaste but not to brush on as there doesn't seem to be a need as it clings to the teeth. I also give Fragraria to loosen the plaque. I did try Plaqueoff which seemed ok but not as effective as I thought it would be. I was interested in it because Terry believed that the reason our collies had good teeth all their lives was because they ate sheep's s..t which would have been full of herbs and 'Plaqueoff' is mixed herbs.

• Houston

I have had tremendous luck with my 4 year old Dachshunds teeth using raw bones. We started that 5 weeks ago, and two weeks prior to that my vet wanted to put him down for 4 hours to do some severe teeth cleaning…today all his tartar is gone and his teeth are only slightly stained, like ours look after drinking lots of coffee. I contribute his now healthy teeth to the fact that he gnaws on these bones daily. All the dogs breath smell sweet too, which is an added bonus.

• Ruby's always had raw bones…maybe her teeth would have been worse without them...IDK...but it doesn't seem like they've done much for her. She is 4 and was looking like she needed a dental...not now. I can't wait for my vet to see her...she won't believe it.

• I agree the Petzlife does make a big difference.

• This has been my routine lately:

Petzlife gel- 3x/week
    Brushing with enzymatic toothpaste- 2x/week

It's honestly amazing how quickly the tarter comes off after using the Petzlife gel. It loosens everything up so that when you brush, 90% of it comes right off. I should have taken some before and after photos. I couldn't believe how well it works sometimes.

The bonus part of the gel is that it kills bad breath. I put a small tab of it on my index finger and wipe it on the roof of Kananga's mouth. His tongue coats his teeth and preps it for when he gets his teeth brushed. So far, he has very minimal tarter, if any at this point. I know my vet mentioned his teeth were in great shape last time he had his comprehensive exam. I bought the petzlife gel a few months ago and have not needed to purchase another container yet. It sure does last awhile, so don't get turned off by the high price tag.

• Great thread.

Thanks for the tips about Petzlife Oral gel, we will give it a try. We've been using ProDen Plaque Off in Leo's food and enzymatic toothpaste. Any tool to help prevent extractions and heart issues is a big thing.

Thanks again

• I still have the first bottle I purchased of Petzlife. I'm amazed how long one bottle lasts. Totally makes up for the higher price.

I usually brush kananga's teeth about once or twice a week. I wish I could do it more often, but it seems like this is working out very well. I use the petlife gel when I don't brush his teeth, but usually limited to 3 or 4 times per week.

I was checking over his teeth tonight, little to no tarter. He has a couple spots of very tiny amounts of tarter on his two back teeth. I'll try to focus on those in the future, but his front teeth are just brilliant white. The gums look very healthy and his breath is reasonable. I've gotta admit this Petzlife Gel is fantastic stuff.

• What is Petzlife Gel and were did you get it??

Rita Jean

• This thread is huge! I can't even follow it all..
    My B is almost 2 years old and has no tartar build up and usually pretty good smelling breath. I clean her teeth (with a brush) usually once or twice a week. She has lots of bones and things as well.

When should I expect to have to get her teeth cleaned? What if I take care of her teeth well for the rest of her life, should I ever have to expect to get this done? Seems like a lot of money but definitely something I am willing to do if she needs it. Right now, the vet said her mouth looks very healthy and clean.

• @Rita:

What is Petzlife Gel and were did you get it??

Rita Jean

http://www.petzlife.com/item/Petzlife-Gel

You can order it directly or find a local store that carries it. I was fortunate enough to find it at the place I go to for Kananga's food.

• @NullaBasenji:

This thread is huge! I can't even follow it all..
    My B is almost 2 years old and has no tartar build up and usually pretty good smelling breath. I clean her teeth (with a brush) usually once or twice a week. She has lots of bones and things as well.

When should I expect to have to get her teeth cleaned? What if I take care of her teeth well for the rest of her life, should I ever have to expect to get this done? Seems like a lot of money but definitely something I am willing to do if she needs it. Right now, the vet said her mouth looks very healthy and clean.

I would think it's only necessary if there were dental issues such as significant tarter build up.

To be 100% honest, I would try this dental gel before anything else, but it seems like your B's dental hygiene is nothing to be concerned about.

• Thank you I will see if any of stores carry it here. If not I will have to order it.

Rita Jean

• Rita, PetEdge carries it now.

Suggested Topics