• Again I am not trying to ignore all the helpful information u have shared here I truly appreciate it. I just do not know any basenji breeders here in N california or basenji rescues

• Did you look at
    The Medfly Brigade Basenji Rescue
    http://www.basenjirescue.com
    also BRAT has dogs across the Us that need homes.

• @janebond007:

Again I am not trying to ignore all the helpful information u have shared here I truly appreciate it. I just do not know any basenji breeders here in N california or basenji rescues

Have you gone to www.basenji.org and then to breeder listings? There are a number of Basenji breeders in California and in the Pacific Northwest. However, most breeders have prior reservations for their planned litters, so you might be looking at litters for 2009. Many of us have waiting for over a year for our pups when we first got into Basenjis, even breeders starting out. And there is a breeder directory at www.norcalbasenjis.org along with South Coast Basenji Fanciers http://southcoastbasenji.org/

Also like Sharron pointed out there is MedFly in So. California for rescue and they have a number of adoptable Basenjis available.

• Quality breeders are worth waiting for.
    You will get a healthy puppy who is well socialized and ready to be part of your family.
    Its worth the wait, if a puppy is want you require.

• Welcome to the forum!

What Janneke is saying, thats also my idea..
    It's a cute puppy but there a many more good breeders that are testing for health.

• Getting a dog from a responsible breeder is definitely worth the wait and the work to find.

At my vet's office we are "the good basenjis". My vet actually sees several basenjis in their practice and the only ones they look forward to seeing are mine. The reason, mine have never tried to bite them, nor are mine shy about being handled, they are healthy. My vet was really upset to have a new client bring in her 8 week old basenji fresh off the airplane, it was terrified of people and had slipping patellas.

My mom's vet is considered "the" basenji vet in her area. The majority of his clients have dogs bought from the internet or a local BYB. He became "the" vet because so many of his basenji clients are being treated for a variety of hereditary diseases. He was absolutely shocked when she came in with hers for their first exam. First off, that she was able to provide him with OFA information for both of her dogs plus information on the health of their parents. Secondly, because they were both in really good condition, good muscle tone, no signs of the disorders he so commonly sees.

I have much the same experience with dog trainers. There are certain issues that they get used to dealing with because the pups that come to them did not receive as much early socialization. They are pleasantly suprised to see well socialized puppies with good communication skills.

So what I am trying to say is that good breeding shows.

Suggested Topics