Skip to content

Between Toes:

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Does anyone here ever have this problem… Bella sometimes gets a swollen area right between two of her toes. It doesn't always affect the same set of toes. There isn't any pus, but she sometimes will lick at it. She doesn't whimper or whine at all, so I don't think it is too uncomfortable. I thought at first she may have stepped on a bee or rock, but now it is winter and she has one again, so not likely. I can't figure out what causes it. They do eventually clear up on their own... I couldn't find any other post about it... Hope someone out there has some ideas about it!

  • seems odd that it effect different toes.

  • Any roses in your yard? Katie and Ty get the occasional thorn prick (all seasons) and get a small swelling from it.

  • No, we don't have any roses…

  • They are probably interdigital cysts. Soak the foot in warm water with epsom salt diluted in it a few times a day. Usually within 3 days the cyst will either burst and drain or "dry up" and disappear.

  • Thank you for your advice. Any Idea what causes interdigital cysts? Are they fairly common, and if so… would there be a chance she would get cysts elsewhere?

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    305 Views
    N
    No sore spots whatsoever - though his stomach is almost permanently "taut" or flexed, unless he's had his anti-inflammatory meds. He eats well and can go to the bathroom well, but as days pass his hind legs are getting worse and worse (to the extent I'm sure he'll just end up permanently lame if I don't anything more). I am praying/hoping/wishing that laser therapy can provide some assistance, as his one session of a few weeks back resulted in him being almost "back to normal" for about 4-5 days! If I can get another miracle result, I think I will look into multiple treatments until he seems better. This is such a stressful time, but I'm grateful for your condolences/suggestions - everything helps - thank you so much!
  • Weight issue

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    10k Views
    tanzaT
    @Rebel - Full blood workup including full Thyroid panel (full panel no just what the normal vet workup that is not a full thyroid panel)... as they say make sure that he is in good health. Also what are you feeding him? How much total are you feeding a day? Also with reducing food, add veggies to his food to fill his belly... green beans are good to use... I use Cauliflower and Broccoli... Note also that low normal is typically too low for Basenjis.
  • Harness Bold Spot

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    12k Views
    V
    thank you everyone! The collar is ordered :-)
  • Not Interested In Eating His Food!

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    32
    1 Votes
    32 Posts
    14k Views
    KebasmomK
    @Mmasco If you are still here will you please update me on your pup? I'm interested because I have two of Rocket Man's litter mates.
  • 0 Votes
    13 Posts
    9k Views
    G
    You have no idea how encouraging it is to hear this. We took our 1 year old in for a dislocated toe…apparently he has lax joints and that toe needed to be amputated, at that time they x-rayed the other paws and the other back one showed up with lytic bone. The vet said this could be infection or cancer and to amputate that as well. We thought that was extreme at the time and didn't do it. Instead we took anticbiotics to clear up the infection...5 months later we are awaiting surgery in 2 days to have it amputated and sent off for histology. He's been on antibiotics for months and the new ones have taken care of the swelling but now his lymph nodes are enlarged and he is obviously sick. We have had every test possible without amputating and no answers as to whats going on...so happy your dog is going to be fine and have hope that our boy will get the same diagnosis.
  • 5 toes

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    9k Views
    S
    When will we be able to see a photo?