• Yes, though some of the litters I am pretty sure are repsonsible breeders who did Carrier to Clear breedings and ended up with more Carriers than Clears in the litter.

• @lvoss:

Yes, though some of the litters I am pretty sure are repsonsible breeders who did Carrier to Clear breedings and ended up with more Carriers than Clears in the litter.

Yes, and at least they are testing the pupsā€¦.. the responsible breeders to know what is what, instead of testing pups with untested parents to see what is "maybe" affected

• I see that the parents of one litter that was being considered by some on this forum were tested and both came back Carriers so some of those Affected puppies may be from that litter.

• Ouch. So sad.

• I should also add, remember Buyer Beware, for those who are using websites like Puppy Find to shop for puppies. Three of those Affected puppies are listed there at a reduced price with no mention of their Affected status.

• Oah man oah man. šŸ˜ž
    It really makes me angry to see this. Breeders so eager to have litters and not testing. These poor puppies. Breaks my heart. šŸ˜ž

• @lvoss:

I should also add, remember Buyer Beware, for those who are using websites like Puppy Find to shop for puppies. Three of those Affected puppies are listed there at a reduced price with no mention of their Affected status.

And three others from the litter are Carriers, so if someone took and bred them without testing, could be breeding to a Carrier or Affected and produce more possible sick puppiesā€¦..

• @Vanessa:

Oah man oah man. šŸ˜ž
    It really makes me angry to see this. Breeders so eager to have litters and not testing. These poor puppies. Breaks my heart. šŸ˜ž

And I don't think it is "eager" to have litters, but more like "eager" to try and make money by not spending the money to health test. And I agree, those poor pupsā€¦ and the people that might purchase them without knowing what they are getting. What heartbreak....

• Terrible, terrible, terrible sadā€¦:(

• So how do we educate the general public, particularly those who "just don't have the time to do research" not to buy from such places? I can't list here all the people I've come across who's kid just wanted a dog so bad and who ended up with disasters that then ended up in shelters. So sad.

• @wizard:

So how do we educate the general public, particularly those who "just don't have the time to do research" not to buy from such places? I can't list here all the people I've come across who's kid just wanted a dog so bad and who ended up with disasters that then ended up in shelters. So sad.

All we can do is reach out and try and get the word out. This is exactly why people like lvoss and I are so pasionate about testingā€¦. If we can reach one person, that is one that will not hopefully suffer the heartbrake of buying a possible sick puppy.....

Personal websites are great to educate... you don't have to be a breeder to get the word out... just an updated site (and many are free).... and direct people to find a responsible breeder. Put the links on how to find a responsible breeder....

• Pat is right, the best thing people can do is help to get the word out about the test, how to check for yourself that testing has been done, how to find a responsible breeder and just what it is like to own a basenji.

Here is a really nice website by a basenji pet owner, http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pines/9467/thebasenji.html

If you are more of the blogger type, add links to the Basenji Health Endowment site and OFA. These sorts of things do help and the more people see it the more likely it will sink in.

• If you google "basenji" the wikipedia link comes up first and is in the top several entries in some of the other search engines.

It's a small thing, but modifying the wikipedia entry for basenji to be more descriptive of how horrible Fanconi is and more strongly wording it about the importance of testing may help the casual reader looking into the breed be more wary of it.

I don't know if you can do it any more and I'm not a internet search expert, but if you could effectively "google bomb" a "basenji" search so that it comes up to a site that talks about the importance of fanconi testing in one of the top few links it would reach a lot more people.

• For those who would like to try creating their own website, here is one a free webhost that doesn't use banner ads on their free sites.

http://www.synthasite.com/

• Thank you, I might give that a go sometime!

• How sad, it doesn't have to happen now we can test.

Most people in the UK are testing and not allowing their dogs to be used on anything not tested. Its the only way forward for our breed.

Would the new owners be able to do anything legally if their pup was affected and it could have been prevented?

• If the breeder knew the puppy was Affected or knew that the parents were both carriers and therefore Affected puppies were a possibility and the breeder does not inform the buyer of this prior to the time of sale then yes, in most states they buyer can sue.

• The people who complain the most about people who talk about the importance of testing and many times have been convinced by their 'breeder' that what we all are talking about is bunk.

I try to take the time to tell people that puppymills don't call themselves that, back yard breeders don't call themselves that - people who are selling you puppies are kind, friendly and sweet - they just don't see the need to test their dogs because "they've never had any problems".

I bought my first puppy from exactly where I shouldn't have and before the internet and the ability to research, I had no way of not believing these great people. Who were really not great. I always figure if I can get fooled - and I thought I did a good job looking for puppies in the right places - anyone can.

I am so sad for those puppies and the families that get them without knowing.

• @dmcarty:

ā€¦people who are selling you puppies are kind, friendly and sweet...I had no way of not believing these great people...Who were really not great...

Yes, and this is the difference between great "salesmen" and great breeders. Salesmen are your best friend when they are trying to get you to buy somethingā€¦ irregardless of the quality of the product they sell.

Great breeders are in it for the breed... the quality of the "product" is of the utmost importance.

I know I haven't been at this too long, but it didn't take me long to figure that out. I wish the general public would understand this, too.

The puppy store we bought Bella from didn't care who my husband was, they did not have him fill out any paperwork about how we could care for a puppy, if we had other pets, if we had a fenced yard and if not how would we exercise the dog. The paperwork we did fill out was "all about the money." How much of a down payment we could afford, amount of monthly payments, and how much money we make so they could see if the loan company would lend to usā€¦

It is so sad that they only care about the money...:mad:

• It is sad and add in the people who "claim"ā€¦ "we are a family home just raising some pups"... right... for the money that is....

And for the breeders on this list (responsible ones) notice how many try to sell anyone puppies on this forum? None.... We push about testing only to make people aware of how important it is and how to find a responsible breeder, not trying to push our pups that we might have. We typically have reservations for the pups before we even breed....

Suggested Topics