Prevention?

Have there been any studies done to see if Fanconi can possibly be avoided or postponed in probably affected dogs by applying part of the protocol prior to diagnosis?

I mean, if one were to give a probably affected dog 1 Pet-tab Plus, 1/2 Pet Cal every day, with maybe 1 amino fuel, Centrum tab, and1/2 tab sodium bi-carb every week or so, making sure the dog has a good protein level in the diet…. something along those lines..... might that possibly affect the onset of the condition?

Just wondering....... would it hurt to try?

There have not been any studies into what treatment may be useful to pre-symptomatic dogs.

Some have suggested that dogs that have tested Probably affected get blood gases done yearly in addition to the monthly strip testing since the blood gases may catch the disease earlier.

Yes, I believe that doing Blood gases as soon as possible to have a base line is one of the best coursing of action. I know that some people that have had their Basenjis DNA come back as probably affected have done so and seen some changes from normal, but the dog is not spilling.
And you can always ask Dr. Gonto if he thinks any supplements might help…. in general.

@tanza:

Yes, I believe that doing Blood gases as soon as possible to have a base line is one of the best coursing of action. I know that some people that have had their Basenjis DNA come back as probably affected have done so and seen some changes from normal, but the dog is not spilling.
And you can always ask Dr. Gonto if he thinks any supplements might help…. in general.

Well, I thought I had… I did email Dr. Gonto, but my computer started doing some very strange things when I hit send so it's very possible the message was never actually sent.

I will try again.

Not sure how Dr. G feels about doing blood gases before they start to spill… but I think it is a good thing...

Looks like your connection to Basenji Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.