Skip to content

ALERT! Breed All About It

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • An Ancient Breed Indeed

    Basenji Talk
    25
    1 Votes
    25 Posts
    8k Views
    eeeefarmE
    @scagnetti said in An Ancient Breed Indeed: @eeeefarm A friend of mine used to have a psychic dog act. Great trainer who fooled a lot of people. There has never been anyone I am aware of that could do the things Eisenmann did, but someone else apparently came close. https://americacomesalive.com/smart-german-shepherd-1927/#.Vecu7RFVhBc In the end it probably doesn't matter. If there were cues of some kind that many, many reporters missed, it would still be incredible for someone to achieve that high a level of cooperation from a dog. Most if not all trainers would be pressed to do the sort of thing Chuck did even if they walked beside the dog and instructed him on every step. I saw it, with the dog working far away from Chuck, too far for subtle cues, and no verbal instructions after the first conversational suggestion....
  • Did I finally solve the breed mystery?

    Basenji Talk
    11
    1 Votes
    11 Posts
    5k Views
    S
    Awe! He’s a cutie! ❤️ Yes, a B Boy!
  • Basenji + ? other dog breeds ?

    Moved Basenji Talk
    32
    0 Votes
    32 Posts
    18k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    @mvdperez We run the air all the time, keeping it under 70. It's cooling off some so he's fine. She is under the covers because we keep it cold. He goes out early morning, quick midday, then longer in the evening. We keep his coat stripped down. I have no idea if it will get cold enough to get a winter coat. It's not generally COLD here.
  • Preferred breed type

    Basenji Talk
    26
    0 Votes
    26 Posts
    17k Views
    S
    Thanks you for this info Dr Jo.
  • Breeding for temperament back in the day

    Basenji Talk
    32
    0 Votes
    32 Posts
    17k Views
    curlytailsC
    Reviving an old thread to add an interesting tidbit (hey, if the spammers can do it, I can too…!). I'm finally getting around to reading Jill Wylie's Call-of-the-Marsh, which I have checked out from the library. It's about a British woman living in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) in the late 1950s/1960s, and she has a Basenji. Attending her first dog show, she writes: Call behaved well considering that for the entire two days of the Show he had none of his precious freedom. He held himself nicely in the ring, and won the Open and Rhodesian Breed but his Challenge Certificate was withheld because he bit the judge. Well, she asked to see his bite and he took her at her word. I watched Basenjis being judged at Crufts Dog Show in England when I was over there, and all five of them bit the judge. Perhaps it's a sign of good breeding. (p. 31) I'm finding a lot of LOL moments in this memoir. Some cute illustrations, too.
  • The "perfect" breed

    Basenji Talk
    54
    0 Votes
    54 Posts
    26k Views
    S
    The Evergreen basenji club in Seattle has wonderful lure coursing and rally training. The basenji weekend is Aug is a great way to see b's do all sorts of activities. The dogs doing rally and lurecoursing are my fav…