What is your Definition of a Line?

• @YodelDogs:

I don't think I would blame Prune on the crate issues with Nicky but rather his grand-dam Keiko. Keiko panicked in a crate and I feel she was claustrophobic. As such, she was completely uncrateable her entire lifetime. Since Keiko is behind everything I have ever bred, a difficult crater will pop up here and there. The odd thing here is that some of the dogs I have placed as older puppies/young adults will crate just fine in my home but then when they change homes they become problem craters. I do not know why this happens.

Though he may have inherited this trait from more than one source, I do think some of the characteristics that contribute to his crating issues probably come from the Kenset side of the pedigree. Really, it is very interesting how similarly Nicky and Querks attitudes and behaviors are, there common ancestor is Prune so I do think that some of these have been inherited from him, even if they were not traits he himself exhibited.

• @lvoss:

Though he may have inherited this trait from more than one source, I do think some of the characteristics that contribute to his crating issues probably come from the Kenset side of the pedigree. Really, it is very interesting how similarly Nicky and Querks attitudes and behaviors are, there common ancestor is Prune so I do think that some of these have been inherited from him, even if they were not traits he himself exhibited.

I agree that there may be some inherited factors…Querk's mom, Glory Be was the screamer before him, and I think they said that her mom Cynosure Diana was also a screamer...but anyhow...

Not only do Querk and Nicky act similarly, they also have a lot of similar physical traits. Very leggy, similar heads, from what I remember from photos. But I think part of their behavior may be similar because they have 'first son' syndrome 😉 Both were the first and only dog for a few years in both families (right?)...all the attention, training, lovin, etc focused on them alone. I'm not sayin spoiled...but you know....special 😉

That is not to discount what I consider to be a definite inherited 'crate phobia' or 'confinement phobia'. I think that is a far more important behavioral trait in our breed to research than fence climbing...but ya know...nobody really asked me 😉

• @Quercus:

I agree that there may be some inherited factors…Querk's mom, Glory Be was the screamer before him, and I think they said that her mom Cynosure Diana was also a screamer...but anyhow...

Not only do Querk and Nicky act similarly, they also have a lot of similar physical traits. Very leggy, similar heads, from what I remember from photos. But I think part of their behavior may be similar because they have 'first son' syndrome 😉 Both were the first and only dog for a few years in both families (right?)...all the attention, training, lovin, etc focused on them alone. I'm not sayin spoiled...but you know....special 😉

That is not to discount what I consider to be a definite inherited 'crate phobia' or 'confinement phobia'. I think that is a far more important behavioral trait in our breed to research than fence climbing...but ya know...nobody really asked me 😉

Interesting you bring up screamers… Tego (DC Tanza's Tego) is a screamer, sire is Ch Jerlin's Reckless Ricochett (which I believe is also Cynosure Diana's Grandsire on the bottom of the pedigree)... however, Tego's uncle on his dam's side (Dam is DC Zuri's Ti-Tanza Wazi Ajabu) was a screamer totally.... so hard to say what side of the pedigree it comes from...

• @Quercus:

Not only do Querk and Nicky act similarly, they also have a lot of similar physical traits. Very leggy, similar heads, from what I remember from photos. But I think part of their behavior may be similar because they have 'first son' syndrome 😉 Both were the first and only dog for a few years in both families (right?)…all the attention, training, lovin, etc focused on them alone. I'm not sayin spoiled...but you know....special 😉

Yes, they do both share similiar physical traits too. I do think the leggy look comes from that side and Nicky definitely has a Kenset head. They are both first sons so similar environmental factors could also be at play. Though my mom's boy Cole, Rally's son, who also shares the same behavioral traits and is a "first son", both Pat and I knew at 4 weeks old he was going to be like that no matter what home he went into.

• Linebreeding has been forbidden here our dog´s can be maximum 6,25% related counting on 5 generations.So can one see from which kennel certain dog´s come from yes on can as their breeders tend to choose a certain type of basenji over and over again.Also typewise one can see a difference between aussie and american basenjis I prefer a mix of those two types.But isn´t the most important to follow the breed standard so that we keep the basenji true to it´s origins.

• Yes, I try to follow breed standard when choosing which dog I will breed to, but we also must consider temperment, and movement which you don't see by a picture. But, we are losing a lot by mixing too many lines as well. We have an old rule of thumb, I at least, try to follow-it's twice in, once out. That means bread in the line twice and then do an outcross. A lot of the dogs, everywhere, are losing certain things such as a good front and a stop and I'm finding we are getting some big feet and ears as well as large dogs period. This is MO only.

• True Arlene good temperament and has passed all health tests,moves soundly the way a Basenji should are of utmost importance.It´s no good if the dog stacks perfectly when he´ll fall apart whilst gaiting.We have also the problem with too straight upperarms and crappy fronts which are sooo difficult to breed in one´s their gone.

Suggested Topics