Was Diego stung/bit? (pic included)

Hello everyone- It look like Diego may have been stung or bit by something, and I wanted your advice. On walks he has his noise in the groung 75% of the time, so he could have easily been stung/bit. I first noticed the redness around his nose yesterday, and yesterday morning he killed some kind of small animal (mole?) that was in the ground because I heard it squeeling.. the first picture is what his nose usually looks like, the second and third are each side of his nose this morning. He didn't itch his nose last night, but this morning I caught him itching it with his paws and on the carpet. I started him on benadryl last night (1mg per pound of body weight) Is there anything else I can do? Does this require a trip to the vet? If it doesn't, how long should I wait if it doesn't improve until we visit the vet? Thank!!

attachment_t_4544_0_img_0584-small.jpg
attachment_t_4544_1_img_0721-small.jpg
attachment_t_4544_2_img_0720-small.jpg

Is it thick? Is it hot? To me it looks a bit like a allergic reaction maybe to some plants…. but I am not so shure about that.

get well soon...

Regards,
Esther

Yes, I guess I would say its thick/swollen, and it is warmer than the rest of his face. Is there anything I should do if its an allergic reaction? Vet or wait to see if the Benadryl works?

I would see how the Benadryl works… you can give him up to 2 250mg caps every 4 to 6 hours....

If it continues to really bother him with itching, the a trip to the vet for something stronger would be in order...

I would guess it is a bite or allergies... which are terrible this year, at least in California

Thanks Pat- I will continue the Benadryl for today, and if its not better by tomorrow he'll go see the vet. After I gave him a dose of Benadryl this morning he hasn't tried to itch it, so it seems to be helping even though the swelling and redness haven't gone down..

And Jan said Hi! She was over yesterday for a few hours with her girl Onyx.. Onyx and my girl Meeka didn't get along, but Onyx and Diego got along great! Onyx was so cute and a really sweet little girl!

Not to be an alarmist or anything, but when you mentioned "mole" it reminded me that we have the short tail shrew in much of the United States and they are considered a poisonous mammal. Can you identify the dead thing??

http://www.americazoo.com/goto/index/mammals/46.htm

Just watch and make sure that he is not having any trouble breathing. If he does start to have trouble breathing then a trip to the emergency vet may be neccessary. In some cases of allergic reactions the only thing that really helps is a steroid shot.

I didn't look at the dead thing, it was in someone elses yard, so I wouldn't even know where to find it now.. when he did it I heard the squeeling of the thing and just pulled Diego off it, never got a look at it..

Do you know anything else about the shrew, like will the Benedryl help if thats what it was, or should I take him the the emergency vet today instead of waiting until a normal vet in the morning? If it was the shrew that got him, it was yesterday morning. The Benedryl helped the itching, but hasn't helped the swelling or redness, but it hasn't gotten worse either..

@lvoss:

Just watch and make sure that he is not having any trouble breathing. If he does start to have trouble breathing then a trip to the emergency vet may be neccessary. In some cases of allergic reactions the only thing that really helps is a steroid shot.

One thing thats got me worried is last night he was making wierd noises, he did it like 5 different times (spread out over hours), and one time today, but it was just 1-2 seconds each time.. it sounded like when a human sucks up air through their nose fast, like a snorting noise.. would you consider that a breathing problem?

Possibly, it could be that he is very congested from the reaction and is having trouble breathing or that there is swelling in his nasal passage and is having trouble breathing.

If it worries you, then I would probably take him in because I would not get any rest until I saw the vet. This is one of those things where you know your dog and you are the one watching him so go with your gut.

@DiegosMom:

I didn't look at the dead thing, it was in someone elses yard, so I wouldn't even know where to find it now.. when he did it I heard the squeeling of the thing and just pulled Diego off it, never got a look at it..

Do you know anything else about the shrew, like will the Benedryl help if thats what it was, or should I take him the the emergency vet today instead of waiting until a normal vet in the morning? If it was the shrew that got him, it was yesterday morning. The Benedryl helped the itching, but hasn't helped the swelling or redness, but it hasn't gotten worse either..

I looked on line, but could only find info about shrew to human bites–-swelling and pain--not about dogs. I would however venture a guess that the nose is a lot more sensitive when bitten.

Thanks for the help everyone! Since its not getting worse and he's only had 2 doses of Benadryl, I'm going to hold off on the emergency vet. As long as he seems to be pain-free and it doesnt worsen I'll keep giving him the meds for today, but it it hasn't improved by the morning, he'll go to the vet. What bad timing, I leave for a work trip at 1:30 today, so it will be up to the DP to monitor him for the rest of the day..

@DiegosMom:

Thanks Pat- I will continue the Benadryl for today, and if its not better by tomorrow he'll go see the vet. After I gave him a dose of Benadryl this morning he hasn't tried to itch it, so it seems to be helping even though the swelling and redness haven't gone down..

And Jan said Hi! She was over yesterday for a few hours with her girl Onyx.. Onyx and my girl Meeka didn't get along, but Onyx and Diego got along great! Onyx was so cute and a really sweet little girl!

And Jan is a great person also…. glad you had a chance to meet.... Hope that Diego recovers quickly

@tanza:

I would see how the Benadryl works… you can give him up to 2 250mg caps every 4 to 6 hours....

If it continues to really bother him with itching, the a trip to the vet for something stronger would be in order...

I would guess it is a bite or allergies... which are terrible this year, at least in California

I'm sure this is a typo, but to clarify, I'm sure you mean 2- 25 mg caps every 4-6 hours…NOT 2- 250 mg caps of Benadryl.

@elena86:

I'm sure this is a typo, but to clarify, I'm sure you mean 2- 25 mg caps every 4-6 hours…NOT 2- 250 mg caps of Benadryl.

sorry about that, you are correct.. it was a typo… 25mg. Thanks for correcting that...

How's Diego doing today?

Hope he is better today.

Thanks everyone! I am away on a business trip, but my DP said it is looking a little better, but def. not worse. She talked to the vet this morning and they said keep him on the Benadryl for 24 more hours, and if its not improved to bring him in. So hopefully it will clear itself up. He's been acting normal and he hasnt been itching it so thats good!

Well, Michelle (DP) took Diego to the vet today since it wasn't improving. They gave her anti-inflammatory meds and cortizone. He will be on that for a week.

The vet said if its not better he will have to come in for testing. He mentioned that it might be lupus, (and thats what the testing will be for in a week) because of two areas on or around his nose that have lost pigmentation or something?? I'm not really sure since I wasnt there.. anyone know anything about lupus? Thanks

@DiegosMom:

Well, Michelle (DP) took Diego to the vet today since it wasn't improving. They gave her anti-inflammatory meds and cortizone. He will be on that for a week.

The vet said if its not better he will have to come in for testing. He mentioned that it might be lupus, (and thats what the testing will be for in a week) because of two areas on or around his nose that have lost pigmentation or something?? I'm not really sure since I wasnt there.. anyone know anything about lupus? Thanks

Ok so I don't want to alarm you with what lupus is… because it is not the end of the world. I have ALOT of first hand experience with this. My mother has had it for almost 25 years now.

Lupus is an auto-immune disease. Rather like HIV but on the opposite spectrum. Where HIV atatches to T-cells and shuts them down so they cannot effectivly fight off infection and viruses, Lupus reprograms the T-cells so that they cannot tell the difference between a foreign visus and the host cells. It causes *(in humans) arthritus flair-ups as well as boughts of extream tired, it can cause heat sensitivity and hot flashes.
There is medication for humans to mitigate the secondary symptoms, but no cure for it as a desease. Like I said my mother has had it for almost 25 years, and she still does quite well, just ends up tired some days and needs to rest more quickly that she did before it.

I will keep you and Diego in my thoughts and prayers.

Looks like your connection to Basenji Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.