Our baby might be a daddy soon!

• around 20 days ago, our boy olimar had intercoruse with our roommates dog (unplanned), meli the jack russell. my girlfriend and i were playing with her today and discovered that her nipples are puffy, her stomach is lumpy, shes been kinda moody, and she's really turned down her hyperness. our friends and family that checked her out says she looks pregnant. but we'd like to find out by the vet if she is. and if she is we decided not to do an abortion or anything. we're gonna keep one and sell/give away the rest to responisble owners. so olimar might be a daddy :D. and that means i'm gonna be a grandpa :|…...... i'm to young for this!

• Sorry, but I can't be happy about this.
    There are way too many puppies out there that need homes.

Are you going to take any steps to keep this from happening in the future?

• …...........

• I would suggest that you search this forum for information about responsible breeding and breeders.. there is a lot of information on here. I wouldn't know from experience but it's a lot of hard work, time, and money to breed responsibly, along with having the right dogs. I just went back and read some old posts and see you got him at a pet store.. I'm sure others will chime in, but you should really consider getting him nuetered.. thats really the best thing you can do for the breed..

• Ok, lets say you have 6 puppies and keep 1.
    re home 5.
    What is to say that the folks who get them won't let them breed as well?
    I am not only worried about this first litter, but the litters they make, and what will prevent you dog from having more mixed puppies?
    I do rescue, I don't breed, or show, just rescue and that makes me want to ask the hard questions to you.
    If you have any questions as to how many dogs are unwanted, or wanted as puppies and then dumped, then please, go to your local shelter and just do a walk through.
    I hope you will decide to fix your basenji and make sure this doesn't happen again.
    Its the responsible thing to do.
    I know you don't know me, so hopefully, others on this list can share their
    rescue/breeding ethics with you.

• Knowing that you had an intact female and male dog in the same house were you taking steps to prevent this from happening? Just curious…

• Shelters are full of homeless animals who came into this world much like this litter if Meli is truly pregnant have will enter it. The owners of the parents did not spay/neuter and thought it "wouldn't happen to them". Most of the owners probably told their friends and relatives exactly what you have said here, "We will keep 1 and find good homes for the others." They may even think that they did just that completely unaware that their "perfect home" dumped the puppy in the shelter at 6 months old when it was teething on every piece of furniture and shoe in the house. Or that "wonderful family" dumped their puppy at 18 months old when it was going through its adolescent testing everyone phase.

Please microchip the litter so that if they do turn up in the shelter, the shelter will have a contact number so you don't add to the homeless animal problem. Make sure the puppies are spay/neutered so that they do not perpetuate the cycle of pet over population.

Do research on inherited diseases in basenjis and get your boy health tested for hips, eyes, thyroid, and fanconi marker test. What does Olimar have to offer the breed? What are your goals as a breeder? How will you contribute to the basenji community? to the rescue community? These are all questions you should consider before breeding. If you have trouble answering these questions then please consider neutering your boy.

• now, now….lets not get all pissy here sharron. who are you to assume that we are owners that are unfit and uncaring towards pups. This forum was made to show how happy we are that puppies are on their way, and not so that you could start bickering at us about other peoples mistakes. We know there are many unfit owners in the world but we're not them so don't badger us about it. I don't know you and you don't know me; in the future i'd appreciate it if you kept all these comments of yours to yourself.

...Unlike your much more vast and harsher lands of America, here in hawaii it is small which in return makes it almost impossible for dogs to be out on the streets. yes there are strays but you almost never see one; again due to our small islands. and those that are stray are picked up faster than you can blink. and when they are in "hawaii" humane society almost all of them are adopted within a few days. and how do i know this you ask? well thats because my boyfriend and i try to go to the humane society every week and see these dogs getting adopted one by one. Its something that has become religious for us to do once every week. and we never see the same dogs twice. This is due to the fact that here in hawaii, we don't care about full breed dogs. just like our diverse ethnicities on the island, our dogs are also mixed with different breeds. to us, dogs are dogs, we love them mixed breeds just the same. We don't really care about how full breed they are. and if you were to come to hawaii you'd see just how many mixed dogs there are on our islands. and just curious, why is everyone on the mainland hating on mixed dogs? in my opinion, they are the cutest.

...as for our liter, jack russells have anywhere from 4 to 8 pups. Hawaiian families are quite big so the majority of our dogs are going to both my boyfriends side and mine. and we'll also be keeping one ourselves. If there are any left, (which i doubt there will be) we'll be having interviews with the prospective owners of our basenjacks.

meli will be getting her tubes tied, but we intend on keeping olimar the way as God intended. since meli will be getting her tubes tied i don't see why it'll be neccessarry to cut his testes. and cutting off his manlyhood in my opinion is not the responsible thing to do, what is responsible is to watch your dog and make sure he/she doesn't mate with another dog. I can see that we made a mistake by not watching him but we're taking full responsibility at making sure these pups are healthy, happy and in the right homes.

• I sure hope that you get your boy neutered so there are no more accidents.. and like already said, you spay/neuter the puppies before you place them. Puppies can be spayed/neutered at 10wks…. It is really in your boys best interest to have him neutered....

• While I agree spay/neuter is the most responsible thing to do, and this may not have been the best course of events… could we back off maybe a little tiny bit?
    You seem excited & I am a little bit happy for you. Although this is not ideal, this is not a "let's throw two dogs together & see what happens & how much money we can get for it" situation. A mistake may have been made in not choosing to spay/neuter these dogs, but seems to me like the owner is trying to do the right thing by them.
    I'm sure after you have cleaned up after the pups for a few weeks, you will be in a hurry to make sure you get olimar neutered & not have this accident happen again, but in the meantime no need to get upset by the careless words of others. When our teenage daughters get pregnant by accident (no I'm not comparing humans to dogs), we don't berate them... we give them love & support to help them get through it & education to help them prevent it from happening again.

• Really there are many health concerns that male dogs have that you should consider neutering him…. Cancer of the testicles, prostrate cancer and other prostrate problems... besides the fact that if he is not going to be used why would you want to leave him in tact? All he needs is to have one other bitch in the neighborhood come in season and he will find a way to get to it...and breed it....and if it comes in season, they know....
    And to say that neutering a dog is like cutting off your manhood?.... that has to be the dumbest reason I have heard for not neutering a dog.....

• @lvoss:

Shelters are full of homeless animals who came into this world much like this litter if Meli is truly pregnant have will enter it. The owners of the parents did not spay/neuter and thought it "wouldn't happen to them". Most of the owners probably told their friends and relatives exactly what you have said here, "We will keep 1 and find good homes for the others." They may even think that they did just that completely unaware that their "perfect home" dumped the puppy in the shelter at 6 months old when it was teething on every piece of furniture and shoe in the house. Or that "wonderful family" dumped their puppy at 18 months old when it was going through its adolescent testing everyone phase.

Please microchip the litter so that if they do turn up in the shelter, the shelter will have a contact number so you don't add to the homeless animal problem. Make sure the puppies are spay/neutered so that they do not perpetuate the cycle of pet over population.

Do research on inherited diseases in basenjis and get your boy health tested for hips, eyes, thyroid, and fanconi marker test. What does Olimar have to offer the breed? What are your goals as a breeder? How will you contribute to the basenji community? to the rescue community? These are all questions you should consider before breeding. If you have trouble answering these questions then please consider neutering your boy.

thankyou for your input. i appreciate the way you stated this a lot better than some have. we know all of this and our uncle is a breeder and my boyfriend really wants to be one as well. we were already gonna do the chip and we've tested olimar for everything and it was all negative. as for meli she is clear and we've already set up a visit for the vet tomorrow…

...some people seem to think that we are unfit and are a couple of young adults that know nothing about these things. .
    my boyfriend posted this to have a postive feedback, being that my family and us are very excited to see just how cute these basenjacks are gonna turn out. we didn't expect everyone to be hating on us so much. and as i stated before, our pups are most likly gonna be with our family and friends.

michelle

• @tanza:

Really there are many health concerns that male dogs have that you should consider neutering him…. Cancer of the testicles, prostrate cancer and other prostrate problems... besides the fact that if he is not going to be used why would you want to leave him in tact? All he needs is to have one other bitch in the neighborhood come in season and he will find a way to get to it...and breed it....and if it comes in season, they know....
    And to say that neutering a dog is like cutting off your manhood?.... that has to be the dumbest reason I have heard for not neutering a dog.....

he stays in the house…what's he gonna do? break through the walls to get to the new in season bitch? ha yeah aren't you intelligent.

• @mauigirl:

Knowing that you had an intact female and male dog in the same house were you taking steps to prevent this from happening? Just curious…

yes they were seperated…but one day she slipped out of my sisters room.
    I wasn't home. my sister wasn't watching them

• @lanemichelleandolimar:

he stays in the house…what's he gonna do? break through the walls to get to the new in season bitch? ha yeah aren't you intelligent.

You would be surprised what they can do… I have seen dogs go through windows, eat doors, just to name a few... the point is, if there is a bitch in season and any place close to him... if there is a will there is a way....

• @Andrew:

While I agree spay/neuter is the most responsible thing to do, and this may not have been the best course of events… could we back off maybe a little tiny bit?
    You seem excited & I am a little bit happy for you. Although this is not ideal, this is not a "let's throw two dogs together & see what happens & how much money we can get for it" situation. A mistake may have been made in not choosing to spay/neuter these dogs, but seems to me like the owner is trying to do the right thing by them.
    I'm sure after you have cleaned up after the pups for a few weeks, you will be in a hurry to make sure you get olimar neutered & not have this accident happen again, but in the meantime no need to get upset by the careless words of others. When our teenage daughters get pregnant by accident (no I'm not comparing humans to dogs), we don't berate them... we give them love & support to help them get through it & education to help them prevent it from happening again.

thankyou. its nice to know that someone is not badgering us about something we didn't intentionally do. if we were doing it for money than we would be selling them, but instead they are going to our family and friends.
    thanks for your kind words. i know i shouldn't have gotten upset but everyone kept attacking. as far as him being neutered. we were gonna at first but my family as well as us wanted a little basenji family. we sort of fell in love with this breed. all of them would be staying with us and both of our families are dog lovers. thats what we meant by breeding him. we just wanted to have him breed one liter just once for us.

thankyou
    michelle

thankyou. its nice to know that someone is not badgering us about something we didn't intentionally do. if we were doing it for money than we would be selling them, but instead they are going to our family and friends.
    thanks for your kind words. i know i shouldn't have gotten upset but everyone kept attacking. as far as him being neutered. we were gonna at first but my family as well as us wanted a little basenji family. we sort of fell in love with this breed. all of them would be staying with us and both of our families are dog lovers. thats what we meant by breeding him. we just wanted to have him breed one liter just once for us.

thankyou
    michelle

Hopefully before you do breed him… you can answer the questions that lvoss posed to you... and also do the health testing. Certainly is easier now for Fanconi that the test is available by using cheek swabs...

thankyou
    michelle

We all have to grow up at some point; as a couple of young kids, we have faced a few problems as well. Most assume young=irresponsible. While we may make more mistakes & have a little more learning to do, even the dumbest kids can make good dog owners with the right intentions & eagerness to learn. We turned to this forum to learn so we can become amazing dog owners, and for the most part it is a great resource. A few badly placed words in a medium in which tone & meaning do not always get conveyed properly, words sometimes might seem a bit more harsh than intended (it has taken me months of surfing this forum to figure this out!)
    I think what has gotten you so much negativity are the phrases you are using… for instance phrases like "we just want to see one litter" and "it takes away his manhood" are key bullets in the "pro spay/neuter pamphlets"... They are instant "we're irresponsible!!" flags (not saying you are; just trying to explain why people were so quick to be upset).
    Honestly, every single person who has responded thus far has a lot of knowledge to share & a world of good intentions, but often times they come across the wrong way.
    Do not think you are not welcome & people won't oooh and ahh when you post puppy pictures... they are just very passionate about dogs!

You may say that in jest, but I do know people whose basenjis have done just that. Unfortunately, the computer that I had pictures of the damage to the walls crashed and the data was unrecoverable but it has happened.

thankyou for your input. i appreciate the way you stated this a lot better than some have. we know all of this and our uncle is a breeder and my boyfriend really wants to be one as well. we were already gonna do the chip and we've tested olimar for everything and it was all negative. as for meli she is clear and we've already set up a visit for the vet tomorrow…

If I am doing the math correctly, you got Olimar in July at 3 months old, so that makes him only 5-6 months old right now? If this is correct, there is no way that you could have had him tested for all 4 of the inherited disorders that I listed, http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/brdreqs.html?breed=BJ

When the tests have been done their results are recorded in the OFA database which is searchable so all results can be verified. Here is a link to the OFA record of a dog with all 4 of these tests, http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1328429#animal You can see that they are given a CHIC designation, as having performed and made open the results of these 4 tests.

Again, I urge that you please learn about the inherited disorders in basenjis, http://www.basenji.org/PUBLIC/HealthInfo.htm. Learn about the importance of vertical pedigrees and having well documented health histories in order to prevent these genetic disorders, http://www.offa.org/hovanart.pdf

Suggested Topics