• Houston

Thanks Dan..

• @Basenjimamma:

I have been looking at this, but am stumped as to whether I should get the gel or the spray? Do you brush this (the gel) on or just put a dab in their mouth. The website for it wasn't very clear.

I brush with the gel, spray the teeth on the days I don't brush

• @tanza:

As already noted.. this IMO is one of the best
    http://www.petzlife.com/item/Petzlife-Gel

+1 - this is one product that really, really works! I use the gel and sometimes brush it and sometimes I just use my finger.

• So, from someone who has never had to brush. How do you do it? Is it like human brushing, 2 mins, 2x/day? Straight back and forth, or circles?

I've seen the 2 headed brushes at the petstore. How do you use those? Big head on the big back teeth and small head on the small front teeth? Or am I way off? Are those even necessary?

Interesting discussion. Thanks.

-Nicole

• @nobarkus:

I have the gel and you can dab it/coat the teeth.

Yep. I put a dab on my B's tongue. Really quick and easy. I do it right before I goto bed, after he's had his bedtime snack (20-30mins after). Kills the bacteria overnight. Fresh breath in the morning. 😃

I used it as maintenance. I still brush his teeth with an enzyme toothpaste once or twice a week (usually on the weekends).

I use the gel during the week usually 3-4 days per week. It's been a solid routine.

• I use either a very soft childs tooth brush and use a back and forth motion. I also use a battery operated toothbrush (Oral 😎 with the small round head…great for the gums...

Also, if you are new to brushing your dogs teeth, there is a finger tip brush you can buy (on most dog sites) that you slip on your finger and just brush with that...

Again.. here is the reason for early good socialization that dogs get used to people opening their mouths and rubbing their fingers around the teeth and gums.

• I buy the 4 pack soft tooth brushes from Target for $4. When they get too ragged from him biting, I toss em. I just use water and get the brush wet. I keep a cup of water next to me and swish the brush in there as I'm brushing. He likes that wet brush. He's very young and his teeth are very white so he does not need the gel yet.

• Houston

Guys and gals thanks for all your input. I am very much getting this stuff and some brushes. It is mainly our dauchshund Gus (5) that is in more of a dire need, the other dogs are so young still, regular enzyme paste and brush is good for them, with occasional petzlife.. for maintenance, again thanks

• @nobarkus:

I buy the 4 pack soft tooth brushes from Target for $4. When they get too ragged from him biting, I toss em. I just use water and get the brush wet. I keep a cup of water next to me and swish the brush in there as I'm brushing. He likes that wet brush. He's very young and his teeth are very white so he does not need the gel yet.

I like the cheap toothbrush idea. The toothbrush i'm using on Kananga currently (canine toothbrush) is really starting to look beat up.

• @Kananga:

I like the cheap toothbrush idea. The toothbrush i'm using on Kananga currently (canine toothbrush) is really starting to look beat up.

The pet store will charge you too much for a tooth brush. It's basically the same soft brush you can get at a department store.

Suggested Topics