• @lvoss:

Foot chewing is usually the first sign of a food allergy. What are you feeding? Does it contain grains? Grains are the most common cause of food allergies in dogs though some dogs also develop allergies to chicken or other protein sources.

ditto! And, I would guess that in your area tree pollen season is in high gear…my dogs seem to respond to airborn allergies when they are at their highest by being a little itchy and sometimes chewing feet.

I might try a little benadryl when she gets really itchy.

• And it could be the start of a compulsive behavior, so if not the food (I would look there first) I would consider this is behavior motivated. Is she getting enough Exercise? Enough stimulation that she doesn't get bored?

• Wow, I never would have thought it to be an allergy. I normally feed them nutro max, but I had to get the natural choice last time because the only store in town that carries it was out of nutro max. They have finshed it off now and have been back on the nutromax for a couple days now. I haven't noticed her licking since then now that I think about it. I know the two foods aren't that different, so I will have to look at the ingredients to figure out what it might be. I guess an allergy makes sense, I just never thought it would make her do that.

As far as exercise goes, she gets a long walk everyday, and I also spend at least 30 minutes a day playing with her outside. On top of that she gets bones or treats to occupy her. She does have a lot of energy, but she still has some behavior that I am a little worried about. She never seems to be really calm unless she is sleeping. Even when she is calm she just seems restless and always looking for something to do. Its like she can't relax. She can be resting and then suddenly jump up and try to get baroo to play or go looking for trouble and if she can't find anything to do she paces. She only pace sometimes when she is in the house, but I thought that was always because she just wanted to go out. She prefers to spend most of the day outside. She seems more comfortable there. That may be because the people she was rescued from kept her tied to a tree in their backyard all the time. Maybe she is just used to it. When she gets like that I try to play with her, and that helps for awhile, but even when I know she is tired she just keeps at it. She plays with baroo and when he has had enough he lets her know, but she rarely backs down and it is hard for her to relax afterwards. She also is really bad about chewing. At first I thought it was just because she is young (only a year as of this month) and maybe her teeth are still bothering her, but I think she is getting a bit old for that now. She chews EVERYTHING. Plastic is her favorite, but she will take anything if that isn't available. It really worries me, because I dog proof as best I can, but she still finds a way, and what is worse is that sometimes she eats the pieces. I have to watch her very closely. I know a lot of dogs chew, but I haven't seen on like this before. Not even Baroo was this bad.

She also barks for no reason, or at small things, like bugs or birds. I have never known a dog to bark at something like that. She rarely barks when I have her citronella collar on, but if I take it off she barks non stop at everything. Isn't that a sign of anxiety?

When we first got her I was concerned about the way she breathes. Even after resting for at least 15 minutes she still pants and breathes very quickley. I called the foster about it and she said she noticed it to and had the vet check her out, and she couldn't find anything wrong. She said she has always been like that. From my experience that just isn't normal. She breathes as heavily as she does when she is running, just for a long time afterwards. I don't know, maybe I am reading too much into it and that is just normal for her and I'm not used to it.

• Oh, the breathing you describe sure doesn't sound right.
    I would have her rechecked by the vet.
    Maybe the jumping is physical related…
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Looks for corn in the food, typically that would be the first guess at a food allergy… then the other grains.. wheat, oats (sometimes, as my Kristii has a mild allergy to oats)... beet pulp....

• There is corn glueten meal and wheat flour. Are either of those bad? Other than that, it is all meat and vitamins. That is the nutro max though. I haven't noticed her biting her feet since I switched back though. Maybe she is ok now. I will keep an eye on her.

Is it possible for a dog to be hyperactive? Thats exactly how Oba acts.

• There are many things in foods that in one dog can cause allergies and in another nothing. Here's a site full of information and break down of recommended things to avoid in our pets foods

Ingredients to Avoid

• My boy can't handle corn.
    He gets "ichy" and that makes him very jumpy.
    This could be what is going on with your basenji.
    I would suggest going down and getting a totally organic food.
    Its more expensive, but if it keeps your dog from the vet, its worth it.
    Also, they don't seem to have the quality of poo that lower quality foods produce.
    Good luck.

• @lovemybaroo:

There is corn glueten meal and wheat flour. Are either of those bad? Other than that, it is all meat and vitamins. That is the nutro max though. I haven't noticed her biting her feet since I switched back though. Maybe she is ok now. I will keep an eye on her.

Is it possible for a dog to be hyperactive? Thats exactly how Oba acts.

IMO, anything with corn is a waste and never needed in a pet's food. It is a filler… think about corn?... it is given especially to cattle in the winter to generate "heat"... and no real other purpose. And IMO any corn is bad... Grains are really just not necessary for dogs. Any grains.. but as long as there are no wheat allergies, I would not be to concerned about wheat flour.

And for sure dogs can be Hyperactive....

• Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look around for a different food and hope that helps.

Suggested Topics