• So it's ok to share our cooked salmon dinner (in small amounts, once in a while) with our B…

Thanks for the info!

• okay i'm gonna switch it up a bit..
    my boyfriends mom told me that dogs will DIE if they have turkey gravy and that they cant have turkey or ham.. because it makes them really sick.. i really dont believe it and kinda think its an old wives tale to make kids stop feeding pets from the table.. any truth to this crazy statement?

• I think a little bit of this is ok.
    I do know dogs can get major gut issues when we give them lots of turkey skin and chicken fat..
    Messes up the intestinal tract…and no one wants that.
    but I think FAT is the issue, not white turkey meat.

• Anything with logs of fat is not good with Basenjis and probably most dogs. Turkey wouldn't be one of the major parts of lots of dog food if it were bad for dogs. I don't know about ham, but definitely white meat turkey and chicken shouldn't be a problem. A little fish, and a little beef are also not too much of a problem, I don't think you want to feed them too much beef or fish though. You have to remember, basenjis eat meat, like most dogs, and would not be able to survive in the wild if they got sick off the only animals they would be able to catch.

• Haha
    I wanted to tell her she was full of crap but I thought that was out of line. 😃 don't basenjis hunt boar in the wild? Wouldn't that be like ham? I know rocky enjoys turkey lunchmeat when I get subs from wawa. most of you don't know the wonders of wawa lol but yeah. Anyway, his mom has that I know everything attitude and I'll make sure I give rock some turkey in front of her next time she's at our house!! Lol

• As for the salmon, everything I was gonna say has been said, lol. Salmon oil is also good for them

Next "Dogs can die from turkey gravy? And turkey and ham will make them sick"?" WTF LMAO, the ham part I can understand to a degree that its very salty and that might be why, but not sure about the turkey meat part. As for the turkey gravy, just how much does it take to kill a dog with turkey gravy? And why would you even feed them that much to begin with? LMAO, I have given my guys bites of ham and turkey, they get more turkey than anything, and they have even gotten unsalted gravy drizzled on their food. I think this is all back to in moderation type thing

• @sharronhurlbut:

There are dogs up here in the PNW who do die from eating dead salmon.
    So, please, make sure you fish is cooked for your dogs.

I personally don't feel it's necessary to cook salmon, as long as you've frozen it for at least a week. From what I've read, it's only PNW salmon that have the ricksettia problem in the first place. Here in Minnesota, I have never purchased (nor been able to purchase) PNW salmon, but freezing it eliminates the issue.

My Magnum is fed raw turkey, chicken, pork (not much ham, which really isn't raw, it's usually smoked at the very least, if not cooked), beef, venison, rabbit, quail, different types of fish, etc., which provides him with a well-rounded, healthy diet.

Lunchmeat is a different thing altogether. Very processed, lots of preservatives and sodium. If fed sparingly, I don't see a problem, but as a staple of the diet, nope, I would'nt feed it.

• @etzbseder:

Anything with logs of fat is not good with Basenjis and probably most dogs. Turkey wouldn't be one of the major parts of lots of dog food if it were bad for dogs. I don't know about ham, but definitely white meat turkey and chicken shouldn't be a problem. A little fish, and a little beef are also not too much of a problem, I don't think you want to feed them too much beef or fish though. You have to remember, basenjis eat meat, like most dogs, and would not be able to survive in the wild if they got sick off the only animals they would be able to catch.

Actually modern dog most likely evolved from more of a scavenger/carnviore animal. Their guts are incredibly versatile, as are their food acquisition skills.

I agree that fatty human foods just aren't good for dogs…but they certainly won't kill them on the spot. A little diarreha and all is well again.

• We feed our dogs a bit of most everything we eat, meat, fish, veges, even a bite of pudding now and again. Eddie loves mincemeat pie! If I won't eat it (fat, gristle, skin, etc) I don't feed it to my dogs. This is not their main source of nutrition, just a small bit of stuff after our dinner, and it acts like an appetizer, as they usually go to their food dishes afterward and fill up on their kibble (Innova EVO mixed with a bit or regular Innova). Mine love salmon, I buy enough for 3 humans, so my 3 pups share one "human portion" after we eat. This is fully cooked, without bones, of course. I think it helps keep them sleek and glossy. Mine do not have delicate tummies, they could probably eat rhino-hide with enough gravy on it!

Many years ago our vet said that the problem with feeding scraps to dogs (as their main food) was that they got the stuff people won't eat, true scraps, which may not have anything but fat or bone. If they get the good quality part of the food, meat, veges, that wasn't a problem, and that made sense to me. Again, most of my dogs intake comes from their food, not their treats, but they really do love their tiny plates of 'supper' after we have eaten!

Anne in Tampa

• yeah. a little piece of meat here and there wont really hurt them. unless your feeding the skin or stuff you don't want to eat. i guess. lol my parents always drizzled some gravy over their dogs kibble when we had it. just to make it more appetizing i suppose. Thats why i couldnt believe what my boyfriends mom had to say.. lol people have some CRAZY beliefs i guess.

Suggested Topics