• Do not matter when during the day you test for Fanconi.

• Got the strips and will test them either later today or tomorrow morning.

The vet stopped by my office and clarified some things - even though the test strip showed protein, there was no protein or sugar in the urine when it was tested in the lab. The blood test showed that some liver enzymes are elevated as sell as his bilirubin count. He rarely runs free - only at the beach and I can see what he's up to 95% of the time (every once in a while he disappears into some trees, but never for long) so I can't imagine he ate anything. I'm going to keep checking and might take him to the other vet I mentioned and I will be strip testing regularly. My vet did mention measuring his water intake to see if I am right about how much he seems to be drinking, and we are going to do a fasting test to further check out his liver.

• Good idea to test, but I would say by what you wrote above, not Fanconi. But for sure something going on with the Liver…

• Yes - now to figure out what it is!

• I have such a hard time reading threads like this. I think I've posted that Jazzy tested "probably affected" and that has become my biggest fear for her. I know it's treatable, but to think of my precious Jazz being ill just makes me so sad. I do her strip tests monthly, and every time I hold my breath.

Keoki tested as carrier, so I feel sooooooooooooo much better about that.

{They share a bloodline – his dam is her grand-dam --- hence no surprise that something showed up there. I'm just glad it was the "carrier something" and not the "probably affected something"}

• @JazzysMom:

I have such a hard time reading threads like this. I think I've posted that Jazzy tested "probably affected" and that has become my biggest fear for her. I know it's treatable, but to think of my precious Jazz being ill just makes me so sad. I do her strip tests monthly, and every time I hold my breath.

Keoki tested as carrier, so I feel sooooooooooooo much better about that.

{They share a bloodline – his dam is her grand-dam --- hence no surprise that something showed up there. I'm just glad it was the "carrier something" and not the "probably affected something"}

You know, you might want to think about having blood gases done. Many with "probably affected" have done that to see exactly were they stand.. and some have seen some changes. Don't know if they have talked to Dr. Gonto and if he recommended anything, but certainly you can send him the blood gases to review…

• I had thought of that. We didn't strip test today because there has been torential rain here all day. My regular vet has some plans to further test
    Willie's liver, so we'll be doing that. I'm sure he didn't talk to Gonto - he feels sure it's not fanconi because there was no sugar in the urine. If that doesn't help us figure this out, the blood gases might be next.

• @jaclempner:

I had thought of that. We didn't strip test today because there has been torential rain here all day. My regular vet has some plans to further test
    Willie's liver, so we'll be doing that. I'm sure he didn't talk to Gonto - he feels sure it's not fanconi because there was no sugar in the urine. If that doesn't help us figure this out, the blood gases might be next.

My message was to JazzysMom… sorry.... since Willie is not spilling sugar, at this point, blood gases will not really help much, I don't think... The reason I said that for Jazzy is that her DNA test came back as Probably Affected, so the blood gases even with her not spilling yet might give her an indication as to her current health besides strip testing.

Also for JazzysMom, I would start strip testing her more then once a month or at the very least 3 to 4 days in a row. When they first start spilling, one day they might test for sugar and the next two not... so IMO only doing it one day, once a month is not the best in your case...

And for all else, since the strips go bad in 6 months, there is no reason not to just use them up... and do a couple of days in a row...

• Actually, if Willie is spilling proteins he may have fanconi. Fanconi dogs spill all sorts of nutrients in their urine but sugar has been the easiest for us to test for since there are urine test strips for it. What were Willie's symptoms that led to testing his urine and finding the protein?

• @lvoss:

Actually, if Willie is spilling proteins he may have fanconi. Fanconi dogs spill all sorts of nutrients in their urine but sugar has been the easiest for us to test for since there are urine test strips for it. What were Willie's symptoms that led to testing his urine and finding the protein?

They are at the beginning of this post… typical excessive peeing and drinking...

And you are right, I had forgotten about that.... but I know that usually Dr. Gonto will look for the sugar... but hey best to rule out everything.. I think if he were mine, I would go off to get blood gases...

Suggested Topics