• Haha, that would make sense. Another reason would be to keep them from manipulating carabiners, and to get at all the toilette paper, and unmentionables.

• @agilebasenji:

Of course I have told people that the real reason for removing basenjis' thumbs is so that they don't learn to use power tools.

Brilliant!!!! Ha, ha, ha…now that I can see...geez, just what I'd need around here. :D:D:D
    ...And then what mess would I come home to? :eek:

• @agilebasenji:

of course i have told people that the real reason for removing basenjis' thumbs is so that they don't learn to use power tools.

exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• @agilebasenji:

Re performance dogs and removal of dewclaws:

Digital, my brindlewonderkid, had his removed. He is 12.5 years old and still active in agility. (although now he is doing a lower jump height) I would guess I've averaged about a weekend a month at an agility trial for the last 10 years. (yes, 10 years, i can hardly believe it myself, but we did start competing in 99.) Add to that training time (which has slowed over the past few years). And he has been an active coursing dog (muliple best in field dog). In fact, he and Jet the tri-ing ran Mother's Day weekend. Sort of a second puppyhood if you will. He ran twice, enjoyed himself and the next day he was out in the yard playing with the malinois. I expected to see some stiffness, but no. I also ran him one fun run in Shawnee 3 or 4 weeks ago. Both coursing and agility put a lot of strain on the pasterns and I haven't seen any sign of soreness or arthritis in Digital or Jet.

<snip>

based on my own dogs, I'd have say removing the dewclaws has NOT be detremental to their performance.</snip>

Thank you so much.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear!

Love the comment on the power tools too.

And you have a mal! I grew up with a Tervuren. We had her for 13 years.

-Nicole

• @tanza:

So, here is a question… what are the rules regarding dogs that have cropped ears and/or tails for showing in Europe if they come from the US? For some reason I seem to remember hearing that they can not show in some parts of Europe? Or all parts? While I do not like ear or tail cropping and glad that our breed is not cropped, I wonder since it is still common practice in the US what happens if they (or can they) go to Europe to show.

And I agree, I think the leg looks much cleaner without the dew claws... again, that is personal opinion.... I could deal with it either way, but prefer having them off.

For some breeds that are common to crop they won't be cropped (Great Dane, Boxer, Doberman, Boston Terrier, Miniature Pincher) if they are going to European breeders/show homes families. You don't do their ears until 12-16 weeks anyway so then you have an idea of show quality at the time. For tail docking…..well that's done at like 2-3 DAYS old and most countries you can show the dog except as noted below

@basi:

I can only speak for Germany but you can't show a dog that has had it's ears cropped and only dogs that are used for hunting in accordance with German law for the protection of animals, can be shown with docked tails.

It actually depends on the "type" of show, wither is a national or international show, I can't remember which on it is, (guessing the national) but the International shows you can show a cropped/docked breed. Like a Doberman, Great Dane, Boxer,Boston Terrier, Miniature Pincher one of those breeds. I know Germany went away from the crop/dock awhile ago but other countries is just a few yrs ago; those still let you show however with cropped/docked animals. You probably won't see them at the shows (especially with the crop) but I saw a few docks.

• First Basenji's

I was going to start a new thread asking how common it was for dew claws to be removed w/ basenjis, but I did a search instead and found this old thread. I find the division of opinions interesting.

Our shiba still has his dew claws and he uses them regularly – he often uses them to scratch his own muzzle, very gently and deftly. The guy who organizes shiba rescue around here told us that dogs without dew claws often come from puppy mills. The rationale, as he explained it, was that millers didn't want their dogs to accidentally rip off their toes as they were often kept in wire cages.

I still don't know where our B came from, and was curious if the absence of her dew claws would offer any hints. Now I see that this is inconclusive evidence.

• @curlytails:

The guy who organizes shiba rescue around here told us that dogs without dew claws often come from puppy mills. The rationale, as he explained it, was that millers didn't want their dogs to accidentally rip off their toes as they were often kept in wire cages..

Well that is the most "interesting" comment that I have ever heard about Dew Claws….. I have never known a puppymiller to put out the extra expense or a BYB to have dew claws removed.... what a crock that is.... for the USA

Qualify that with in Europe, it is fairly normal in many countries that Dew Claws are not removed....

• @curlytails:

I still don't know where our B came from, and was curious if the absence of her dew claws would offer any hints. Now I see that this is inconclusive evidence.

If you want to try to find out where your girl might have come from, why not bring her to the BCONC puppy match on June 6th in Livermore, CA. There will be many basenji people including breeders there. Maybe someone will recognize her.

• First Basenji's

It's just what I've been told.

My assumption was that no 'expense' was incurred because it was treated as a relatively simple in-house procedure. Kind of like the hideous 'ear cropping' jobs that are rendered to BYB pit bulls. (ETA: That is, an in-house procedure in the situations that this person was telling me about, not generally across the board – I realize it's a standard practice in some places/among some breeds, and is properly done with professional veterinary assistance.)

• First Basenji's

lvoss, thanks for the suggestion! I would be quite surprised if she was recognized, but it's always a possibility. You basenji folks seem to be very aware of who's who around your parts. I've never been to a dog show – it's definitely not my partner's thing, but I would consider it. At any rate, it's not super pressing for me to really trace where she came from (unless her Fanconi tests do turn out to be bad... I would want to hunt down and yell at her breeder). But in my moments of marveling at this special little creature, I can't help but wonder.

• @curlytails:

lvoss, thanks for the suggestion! I would be quite surprised if she was recognized, but it's always a possibility. You basenji folks seem to be very aware of who's who around your parts. I've never been to a dog show – it's definitely not my partner's thing, but I would consider it. At any rate, it's not super pressing for me to really trace where she came from (unless her Fanconi tests do turn out to be bad... I would want to hunt down and yell at her breeder). But in my moments of marveling at this special little creature, I can't help but wonder.

It is not really a dog show, it is more a day of fun with puppies. Also there will be a Club Meeting, pot luck lunch and lure coursing…. and the more the merrier....

• Yesterday I went to a local Petland to see if this store sold the dog that I recently rescued as it had a microchip but the owner never registered it and it goes back to the dealer. There was a female B pup for sale and it had its dewclaws. It told the salespeople that Bs are not supposed to have dewclaws and they are very easy to remove. The breeder was Wendy Dettbarn of IA. She is a long time commercial breeder for the petstores of Bs since at least the mid 90s. This pup also had round eyes and a longer coat. I have never seen a B pup with this type of coat. She was supposedly AKC registered but I thought this breeder was using APRI. I did not see the paperwork though and on the AKC website I did not see the supposedly sire and dam listed. Anyone familiar with Dettbarn's Buzz or Dettbarn's Penny or the Dettbarn's Bs?

Suggested Topics