• Hello, my name is Nicole and I live in Alberta, Canada. I have a brindle basenji ( Tunji) that will be 2 years old Jan 1. I love him completely but have a major problem. The home is empty for about 7 hours a day and Tunji can not be left out. Leaving him out means coming home to every wire chewed, all blinds down and various shreddingd. I tried to give him free roam of the basement and he dug out through the door within about 2 hours, then continued with the destroying of the rest of the house. I now have to resort to lcking him in a cement room ( he does have a bed, blankets, toys, bones, food, water) and extra wood on the door for rienforcement. I have tried a crate a bout a year ago and he would freak to the point of his paws bleeding. If anyone has any great suggestions please let me know.

• It sounds like Tunji has a pretty serious case of separation anxiety–sometimes medication is needed for this. There are some threads here that deal with this issue (do a search on separation anxiety). I will say that my belief is that basenjis are not a solitary breed. My first B was like this whenever he was left alone. Fortunately, I had a second dog, and he was just fine as long as either she was with him or I was with him.

• Also, heavy exercise BEFORE you leave for work will help with this.
    A tired basenji will sleep…and that is what you want.
    Just a short walk won't do it.
    Also, there are folks on this list who can help him become more happy being crated, but this is a slow process and not a quick fix.
    However, you came to the right venue.

• Also, you might try getting a pet walker to come in at noonish, to get him out and walking.
    Or doggie day care.
    That is also a good place to p/u a tired basenji…after work, your tired as well, So that is a win/win.

• @sharronhurlbut:

Also, heavy exercise BEFORE you leave for work will help with this.
    A tired basenji will sleep…and that is what you want.
    Just a short walk won't do it.
    Also, there are folks on this list who can help him become more happy being crated, but this is a slow process and not a quick fix.
    However, you came to the right venue.

I second this…the heavy exercise has been KEY w/my dog! I'd also add, something to occupy his mind/time immediately as you leave. I stuff a Kong for Ruby with her kibble and a small amount of peanut butter covering the top...she loves peanut butter so much that she doesn't even see me leave the room most of the time.

• Exercise is the best way without medicating.
    You should also work on crate training. Does your dog freak out just getting into the crate? Ours used to pee as soon as he got in it- like he just freaked out and pee'd everywhere. We had to work on him. And he still howls like crazy.

Some people have had success with an herbal human remedy called Rescue Remedy. I got mine in the organic/herbal section of a fancy grocery store. It did absolutely nothing for our dog, but some apparently seem to do well on it. It's supposed to calm them down.

If all else fails, you should consider a trip to the vet to discuss stronger meds to help with his anxiety.

But of course, the best solution, IMO, is to just get another Basenji. 🙂 Like others have said- they just want to be together. 🙂

• I agree that having a companion for your dog is helpful.
    My 2 b's sleep on the bed when we are are work…unless they are sunning themselves outside in the summer keeping an eye on the yard.
    We have a doggie door and its helpful...but I wouldn't let a single dog have access to the outside, as they might see some dog they want to play with
    and go over/under the fence.
    My 2 have never even tried to climb out. But I believe its cause they are together.

Suggested Topics