• O.k so since we have brought Belle home, almost 2 weeks, Champ has now started to do more of the growling noise. Now I'm wondering if he's doing this because he sees Belle (she is very verbal) doing it and wants to also talk to us or is he showing signs of aggresion? He does this when we first come home/leaving but also when we move him or push him our of the room. Any feedback? I'd hate to think our boy is getting aggresivešŸ˜•

• Does he act aggressive?? Shadow became more vocal after each girl-and now he never shuts up-growls all the time at everything and anything-but is rarely aggressive. Unless they bug him too much!

• Growling is usually aggression or telling to "back offf/mine". Grunting is happiness.

They will bicker & get in fights, but a boy & girl usually work it out.

Our have had some knock down drag out fights, but no one ever gets hurt yet after 6 years.

• well I must admit Champ is becoming more aggresive with each day. But will also admit it is his parents (human parents)fault. We have not kept up with the training and have again grown lazy and minimized the walks. He bit me twice this weekend. Once for trying to take his bone away and again this morning for moving him in bed. I sopke to his trainer and he told me this is due to lack of training. He does not know who is in charge and we must go back to the basics and continue doing this especially since the home demographics have changed. Yes I admit to being at fault and will begin the routine again today!!!

• I have my dog under control as much as I can and he just bit me this weekend, drew blood.

I stepped on his toes, he screamed (he will bite if you dont apologize in a baby voice in an instant) I got angry and yelled at him instead, he bit my ankle, drew blood. It's obviously painful to him as he really screams in pain. It makes him angry.

It's hard sometimes not to step on his feet as he is always by my side or sneaks up right near me and I step without looking.

• Wow, he is really acting out.
    The trainer is right, get him back into a class now.
    Work on clicker training, get him out and walking and use the squirt bottle when he even tries to growl at you for anything.
    He needs to go back to earn his rewards.
    He needs to sit before a pet, a sit before he goes out the door, a sit before YOU invite him up on the couch, a sit before he is fed or given treatsā€¦
    It will help to get him back to where he should be.
    How old is he? Is he fixed? Is she?

• We have not kept up with the training and have again grown lazy and minimized the walks.

I found our dog becomes cranky if we cut back or he does not get his walks.

It helpsto keep him happy. After a nice walk he likes to sleep most the time.

• I've also been told that with any sort of aggression, a dog should lose human bed priviledgesā€¦not be allowed to sleep with the humans.

I know when Ruby first came here that I would not allow her up on the bed. About a month in I would let her up once in a while...and if she even as much as did any sort of play biting, she would lose the bed priviledge (the bed is for rest, quiet time). Now she is only occasionally allowed on the bed (and by invite only) and even then, she doesn't get to stay the whole night...I pick her up and put her in her crate about half way thru the night or she jumps down and goes in her crate.

• I love sleeping with my b's..
    BUT they have to be invited up on the bedā€¦and they have to have good manners when they are there.
    Anyone who is rude ends up on the floor.
    They do get that message pretty quickly.

• I've also been told that with any sort of aggression, a dog should lose human bed priviledgesā€¦not be allowed to sleep with the humans.

That's why ours sleeps in his crate, drawing blood if he is disturbed there are no other chances.

• that's also a problem. Champ has not learned how to jump on the bed so unless invited and picked up he can't come up but Belle on the other hand is a jumper and will jump on it all the time. We did not want that but after spending all night waking up and taking her off the bed, we gave in so of course Champ has to come up too. And well the trainer is coming today and I'm sure he'll let us know what else can be done.

• Here are some hug's for you (())ā€¦ I know this doesn't pertain, per say but, b I read this because I want to know as much as I can. I haven't let Sally in our bed because...
    1. We need to know if she is fully potty trained.
    2. We are not sure if she could bite. You never know!
    3. We need to set the number one rule, we are Alpha, and we say what
    goes. We have 3 boys, it comes naturally. hahaha...
    4. Sally has Kennel Cough and needs her space to cough and spit up.
    5. She submissive pee's in the mornings when we first approach her.(tiny
    bit) Better on the tiled floor in our bathroom than in our bed.

The other part of this I found interesting is that I am visual impaired and can not see out of my left eye and parrif. at all. I keep stepping on her, and she seems so upset, until I tell her I'm sorry in a baby voice. She will actually lay down and not move. She kinda makes a grunting sound for a few sceonds. I wondr how long she will put up with me.

I think I'll ask our trainer how to train her not to be under my left side at least. I walk her only on my right side with a short leash right now, and so does everybody in our house.

Sorry for miss spells in a hurry bus is here!

• thanks for the hugs. I do hope the trainer can help with the walking issue. I know how hard it is when they suddenly appear and you have no time to step back and kind of run them over. I wish we were more stern with the rules but really at 4am after a night of no sleep we kind of give up. Little brat knows that we will eventually give in so we are pretty much loosing control but hopefully we will start making the proper adjustments to bring back our alpha titles. It would be alot easier if they weren't so damn cute. Even after Champ bit me he looked at me and followed me around the house with those sweet sorry mommie eyes. We are owned by our two furry brats.

• Ha Ha! So true! Did I mention she is new to our home and that she is 2ish. But we luv her so much already! Even with her honking at us @ 3&4&5a.mā€¦.

• Well I can't blame you she is cute

• @luzmery928:

well I must admit Champ is becoming more aggresive with each day. But will also admit it is his parents (human parents)fault. We have not kept up with the training and have again grown lazy and minimized the walks. He bit me twice this weekend. Once for trying to take his bone away and again this morning for moving him in bed. I sopke to his trainer and he told me this is due to lack of training. He does not know who is in charge and we must go back to the basics and continue doing this especially since the home demographics have changed. Yes I admit to being at fault and will begin the routine again today!!!

Wellā€¦.I don't know if it is due to a lack of training, that Champ is acting out aggressively...but training certainly could improve the situation.

I think that Champ may feel that his pack status is threatened by a new dog, and he is over-reacting when you assert yourself (taking a bone, or displacing him). I don't know that this means he has forgotten you are in charge...but more that he is hypersensitive to being required to do surrender status/power.

I would work on all basic obedience behaviors. I would make sure I am asking for cooperative behaviors before giving meals, treats or attention (sit for dinner, etc.) Most likely as things settle down, he will return to however he was before...but it is best to take a pro-active approach, and start reinforcing the behaviors you want to see.

• @luzmery928:

that's also a problem. Champ has not learned how to jump on the bed so unless invited and picked up he can't come up but Belle on the other hand is a jumper and will jump on it all the time. We did not want that but after spending all night waking up and taking her off the bed, we gave in so of course Champ has to come up too. And well the trainer is coming today and I'm sure he'll let us know what else can be done.

That could be trouble. I would have them both sleep in crates until they sort out their issues.

• This being alpha thingā€¦I am not sure bed sleeping will destroy your authority.
    Re the coughing...yes, its pretty loud..I had a basenji with Kennel cough, and it did seem to go on forever!, so I can understand not wanting to sleep with the noise and movements when they cough.
    I will be interested in hearing what the trainer says.
    I hope this person knows basenjis and has a gentle approch..
    Some of the folks I have met learning about behavior are pretty harsh and I know it won't work on our breed of dog.
    Fingers crossed this makes your life easier and your basenji's happier.

• Re Sahronhurlbut..I'll keep the trainer sensitivity in mind. It was her idea though to estab. the alph setting in the home, and that included not having Sally in the bed with us, until we were sure. We wouldn't want to put an unknown dog let alone a B in a situation that could have been traumatic before. After all we really don't know why she was surrendered after 2 years of life. The trainer we are "trying out" seems to be very proactive instead of reactive.

• Thanks for your post. I hope you understand that I am trying to helpā€¦
    not give you more "issues" to deal with than you already have.
    I look forward to hearing about what is discussed and decided.
    Fingers crossed it will work for everyone in your family.

Suggested Topics