• More specicfically, how do you train a dog to go down the stairs? He's 9 months old and we just got him on Saturday. He learned the going up part pretty fast, but he refuses to come down!! He just stands at the top and cries. He knows how to go out the back door down about two steps, but the staircase in the house seems to be a long way for him and he's really scared. Any suggestions? He's such a sweetheart and a really good boy!!

• Put him about three steps up, you stand at the bottom and call him down (you can give a treat, it will make it go faster). Then put him five steps up, then half way up, etc….

Have fun 🙂

• Yes,,,,,I agree with Quercus,,,,,,when we got Dane he did the same thing,,,,,and we just kept calling him and he finally figured it out,,,,,maybe a treat at the bottom of the stairs could get him to try a little harder too!

• I know it sounds odd, but I just vacuumed around my guys (not Tiggy he came usaed to stairs) and they were more nervous of the vacuum than the the stairs

• We'll try this out today and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

• hold a raw hot dog out at your basenji at the bottom of the steps.

• This morning Spencer and I went to the Oscar Mayer Training Academy (OMTA). He ran past me when I took the gate down and bounded up the stairs. I went to the fridge and got out the OM training aids. Sliced them really thin and put one on some of the steps. Worked like a charm!! Unfortunately he ran right back up and then expected more…..:D Then my lab mix, who is 7 years old and has been doing stairs for years, ran up there and wouldn't come down until he got some hot dog pieces too!!:rolleyes:

• Almost forgot - THANKS for the suggestions guys!! I thought I was gonna have to carry the little guy down the stairs for the rest of his life!!

• LOL, glad OMTA is working, and don't let your lab-mix fool you too, lol, I know the other dog will try that trick for treats too

• Put a roll of toliet paper or a couch cushion at the bottom of the stairs, that should do the trick.:D

• Put a roll of toilet paper or a couch cushion at the bottom of the stairs, that should do the trick.:D

• @Basenji_Boy:

Put a roll of toliet paper or a couch cushion at the bottom of the stairs, that should do the trick.:D

LOL…great answer!!!! 😃 😃 😃

Suggested Topics