Skip to content

Hysterical Pregnancy

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Hi-

    After beginning estrus in early August, Piggy bled for almost a month. Now her nipples are engorged. She was never near un-neutered male dogs but I did take her to a dog-sitter for a weekend and she told me the same information. I am starting to wonder if the dog-sitter, who came highly recommended, has lied to me. How significant will the nipples swell with a hysterical pregnancy? Will the abdomen become tighter? The visit with the sitter was a month ago, if she was impregnated, when would I be able to feel fetuses? She does not seem to be acting any different. Anyone have any thoughts on real pregnancy vs. false pregnancy? I think I am just being paranoid but I am starting to wonder if I should start feeding her more just in case….

  • Best bet take her to the vet right away. She can be in false pregnancy.

  • Is there any risk with false pregnancy? Most readings say that hormones to stop or lessen false pregnancy can be harmful. Is going to the vet going to change anything or tell me anything I don't know? I don't want an x-ray, I would just deal with it if in a few weeks she obviously is pregnant.

  • Many B will go through false pregnacy and yes, many ever get milk…. I would not feed her more, as even if she was with pups, you don't increase food till the last two weeks.. that is when the pups grow the most... and the bitch needs extra. The Vet can do an ultrasound... but I would bet that this is just a false pregnacy

  • Thanks, Pat. You're such a smarty pants!

    -Jordan and Piggs

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    5 Posts
    355 Views
    SavingS
    Urrggh sorry for the slow reply, the forum doesn't send me any notifications and it's so quiet I don't bother to check it regularly. Has he made any progress? If not, It sounds like you need to get an MRI done for Grady which may reveal more than the xray.
  • Belly Rash

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    24k Views
    SavingS
    Did she always have them or did they start after something/some time? Do antihistamines clear the problem?
  • Weight issue

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    10k Views
    tanzaT
    @Rebel - Full blood workup including full Thyroid panel (full panel no just what the normal vet workup that is not a full thyroid panel)... as they say make sure that he is in good health. Also what are you feeding him? How much total are you feeding a day? Also with reducing food, add veggies to his food to fill his belly... green beans are good to use... I use Cauliflower and Broccoli... Note also that low normal is typically too low for Basenjis.
  • Harness Bold Spot

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    12k Views
    V
    thank you everyone! The collar is ordered :-)
  • Not Interested In Eating His Food!

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    32
    1 Votes
    32 Posts
    14k Views
    KebasmomK
    @Mmasco If you are still here will you please update me on your pup? I'm interested because I have two of Rocket Man's litter mates.
  • Spay Early or Spay Later

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    22k Views
    senjisillyS
    @mryltis Read this comment from @morgansc within this post dated May 30, 2019, 7:49 AM. It answers your question. Ideally it is best to wait until age 24 months but no early than 18 months. https://basenjiforums.com/post/177284