• Subject: Fwd: URGENT PET FOOD - BELLA IN THE HOSPITAL

PLEASE READ AND SHARE THIS WITH ANYONE WHO HAS DOGS, ESPECIALLY SMALL DOGS

Bella, 3 years old, 4 pounds

Product - Smoke House Chicken Breast Tenders Treats

Bella became suddenly ill ,and now hospitalized with her life threatened due to Smoke House Chicken Tenders.I recently purchased at Pet Smart. It doesn't matter where you purchase them, just don't purchase them.

This was the first time I bought the Smoke House treats. Having read the label, it was listed as all natural, no additives, dyes etc. The treats were purchased on or about August 17. She loved them and I was happy because she typically only likes one treat. By August 23 she vomited bile, and again on August 24. Her personality began to change becoming lethargic, wanting to stay in her bed, loss of appetite. excessive drinking, urinating frequently in excessive amounts. urine became orange like in color. By August 28 she was severely dehydrated and lost one of her three pounds.

Sugar was found in her urine which would typically indicate diabetes. Bella was put on IV and given an antibiotic to take while tests were being done over Labor Day weekend.

Test results showed "irregularity in the lower part of her kidney. Possibly a hole in the kidney because of the malfunction.

By today Sept 7, she was no better and very low on energy and interest in being around anyone. I brought the package of Smoke House Chicken Tenders with me to the vet because it was the only thing that was different in her diet.

My wonderful vet, a graduate of Cornell University searched the Cornell Veterinarian site where veterinarians report unusual cases which are tracked. The search was done by symptoms. A second search by chicken treats.

There were numerous cases on the Cornell University Veterinarian web site, all with the same symptoms, test results and yes, related to chicken tender treats made in China. Never did it cross my mind that this product was made in China. When Dr. didn't find complete listing of ingredients on the package he called the number listed on the back of the package identifying himself and asked for ingredients to help understand what was happening to my pet. The only thing the person on the phone with a strong Chinese accent was "all natural, all natural". Sure enough looking at the small print on the bottom back of the package is "product of China", the same source of other products that have been killing our pets. I sat beside my vet and read along with him. Following are primary repeated findings;

-severe damage to the kidney often resulting in complete renal failure and death
    -numerous reports in the past four to five weeks, a larger number on the East Coast

• chicken and beef treats promoted as all natural
      -it does not matter what the label is, if it is a product of China
      -if caught early enough, hospitalized on IV hydrating and flushing the kidney over days with nutrients may help the kidney heal itself and the pet could then live with the damaged kidney
      -if not caught early complete renal failure is expected
      -most cases reported are related to small dogs
      -initial symptoms indicate diabetes
      -mold is often found when flushing the kidney (found in Bella)

I have been in touch with Pet Smart requesting them to help get the ingredients. Time is lost analyzing the food. Today a vet at Cornell purchased a bag after reading the report my Vet posted on Bella. He then contacted my vet to say the bag he bought had mold in it despite an expiration date one year from now. I was asked to look closely at whatever was left in my bag, but saw none.

After Bella was admitted to the vet I went directly to Pet Smart in Nanuet NY, told the Manager what happened and asked her to assist getting the ingredients identified. I was met with a hostile attitude. She was only interested in getting my name because she felt I was going to file a complaint. The person at PS headquarters responsible for knowing food ingredients at Pet Smart headquarters is trying to help.

The information available to vets on the Cornell web site is not public information. No one seems to be aware of this. Dogs are misdiagnosed

PLEASE SEND THIS ON TO YOUR PET LOVING FRIENDS AND SAVE A PET AND LOTS OF HEARTACHE.

PLEASE POST THIS INFORMATION ON ANY WEB SITE YOU CAN CONCERNING PETS.

Allan and I are hoping and praying.

View full sizeSmoke House Chicken Breast Tenders.

View full sizeSmoke House Chicken Breast Tenders. Chicken on the right and left side are from a bag I bought today. All but one bag on the shelf which was light in color were the deeper color. The center pieces are from the bag Bella ate from. Because of the difference in color I asked Pet Smart what the difference was. Were there dyes added? The response was "it's all natural chicken so that's why the difference in shades". I pointed out that every single package was the deep color, except the one left from the same batch I bought.

I hope we have better news to tell you soon.

XOXOXO

• @luzmery928:

I hope we have better news to tell you soon.

XOXOXO

I hope you do too, hang in there.

• Aww I'm sorrry to hear that i hope u do have better news soon also !! My dogs love those chicken treats also but that is not the brand i have them on i am defanitly going to go take an extra look at them now though they have been getting them for awhile thanks for the info I hope she gets better soon !! and if it's from those i hope they get them off the shelfs A.S.A.P. Keep us updated please.

Sending bella lots of puppy kisses !
    Cheyanne, Aspen and Phoenix

• well this is a forwarded emial I received so thank God this is not my little girl. But hopefully she will get better soon.

• Thanks for the tip. It is so scary that what we feed our babies could kill them. I'm sticking with Innova and Merricks Food & Treats, with the occassional visit to a local store "River Dog Bakery," that has all homemade treats using human ingredients, no fillers and junk. I hope this little dog makes a full recovery.

• I'm a little wary of this… I Googled for other cases that people might have posted, and all I found was this exact quoted email. There weren't any other case descriptions that I could find.

Still, my little guy's had an upset tummy for a few days, and he will not be getting any of his favorite chicken chips until he's been well for a while.

• Well, at least PetSmart has pulled them because of concerns. I found them missing when I went to work in our treat aisle today!!!

http://www.itchmo.com/smokehouse-brand-dog-treats-pulled-from-petsmart-shelves-2869

We will be speaking to his vet about this ASAP, though he's keeping food down and has his energy back.

Suggested Topics