• Hi All,

I do not currently own a Basenji.

My wife and I just lost our 15-year-old miniature Dachshund over this weekend to liver failure. (This dog has always been a perfect buddy for the full length of our marriage. It has been very painful for us both to let our dog go).

However we both have always been interested over the years in introducing a Basenji - as a life long companion - into our small family.

I personally was raised in Zimbabwe and have always been curious in this dog breed, as it was the most popular local dog seen constantly trotting around in the surrounding small African villages.

Is there any advise out there about adopting a Basenji in my neck of the woods (Albuquerque) and ensuring it is healthy?

Cheers Bkdemos😕

see African foxes attached

attachment_t_2100_0_capt.d18fdb3dc0e14561a85b10110e1bde8d.newborn_fox_hunting_wxs118.jpg

• @bkdemos:

Hi All,

I do not currently own a Basenji.

My wife and I just lost our 15-year-old miniature Dachshund over this weekend to liver failure. (This dog has always been a perfect buddy for the full length of our marriage. It has been very painful for us both to let our dog go).

However we both have always been interested over the years in introducing a Basenji - as a life long companion - into our small family.

I personally was raised in Zimbabwe and have always been curious in this dog breed, as it was the most popular local dog seen constantly trotting around in the surrounding small African villages.

Is there any advise out there about adopting a Basenji in my neck of the woods (Albuquerque) and ensuring it is healthy?

Cheers Bkdemos😕

see African foxes attached

Best thing is to find a responsible breeder. You can visit www.basenji.org and then go to the breeder directory. And also if you visit the "is a basenji right for me?" section you will also find suggested question that you should ask your breeder. Be sure that any pup that you get, their sire and dam have been DNA tested for Fanconi using the new DNA Fanconi linkage test.. you can read more about that at www.basenjihealth.org
    If you are looking to adopt a rescue, typically health will not be known, but you can still have the DNA test done for Fanconi.

• welcome and good luck. The little foxes are so cute!!

• Lots of luck and welcome…this is the right place to ask questions before getting a Basenji...Love that picture!

• Welcome and wishing you lots of luck

• Please consider rescuing a dog from BRAT. http://www.basenjirescue.org/

Suggested Topics