• Houston

Ok so I had a semi Ok picture from the side, he is not standing normal though so it still might not be a good pic to use, but here it is anyway. I aslo want to mention he measures right at 15" at his shoulders

As far as his littermates, they were all 4 boys and they were larger than the breeders other pups, so his litter ran large, the mother is 22lbs and the father right at 25lbs. The other litters had more pups in it and some were girls as well. My vet thinks he will be about 35lbs (yikes) once fully grown. I hope he is wrong, not because I mind a big dog, but because I want him to follow breed norm…whatever that means..LOL. I guess we have to wait and see. As far as running them at this age, can I? I mean, play and maybe go for longer walks, or should I wait for him to get older? I realize he is still a baby.

Thanks, Basenjimamma

• Basenjimamma: Your dog is very handsome, developing some great muscles. He probably will be a big boy, but if he's healthy and trim enough, that's no problem. As to running - yes, take him to dog parks where he can be off leash and let him run his little butt off - that will definitely keep his weight where it belongs, if you think he is getting too heavy. Running is never bad for them and they love it, love the play with the other dogs. Keep in mind, even a Basenji who is big for his breed is NOT a big dog! IMHO, you are going to have an impressive B when he's grown. If his vet is happy, don't give it a worry.

• Houston

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. We have been running him with our other dogs in our yard, we have about half acre or so, and he is fast..He loves it, just don't think he is used to out heat yet, it is already about 85+ degrees and very humid…I think he looks good, he is definitely babychunky, not fat, but what I envision a puppy looking like before he grows into his own body. We will keep up with what we have done so far and see what he turns out like...can't be bad, just beautiful..

Basenjimamma

Suggested Topics