• I must say Robyn, I do EXACTLY the same thing!

• <_>

Do you just use your familiarity with the dogs to decide who should lay, and who should sit?_

• @Quercus:

<_>

Do you just use your familiarity with the dogs to decide who should lay, and who should sit?_

_
    Disclaimer: The following is answering how I do things and is not meant to be advice for others to follow.

There is a distinct pack order in my home with a male hierarchy and a female hierarchy with me as the supreme alpha. My male alpha is 11 year old Baron and my female alpha is 9 year old Pippin. Both of these animals have extremely stable temperaments and I support and reinforce their position in the pack. I will NEVER allow a quick tempered or insecure animal to try to raise up the ranks as they make horrible pack leaders and create instability in the home all the way around. There will be a time when Bindi will move into the role of alpha bitch but she is not mentally or emotionally ready for that yet. I will keep her in her place until she is ready._

• @YodelDogs:

Disclaimer: The following is answering how I do things and is not meant to be advice for others to follow.

There is a distinct pack order in my home with a male hierarchy and a female hierarchy with me as the supreme alpha. My male alpha is 11 year old Baron and my female alpha is 9 year old Pippin. Both of these animals have extremely stable temperaments and I support and reinforce their position in the pack. I will NEVER allow a quick tempered or insecure animal to try to raise up the ranks as they make horrible pack leaders and create instability in the home all the way around. There will be a time when Bindi will move into the role of alpha bitch but she is not mentally or emotionally ready for that yet. I will keep her in her place until she is ready.

That is really interesting Robyn. I don't seem to have that amount of control over my bitches….when they decide they hate each other, there doesn't seem to be anything I can do. Of course, they are all unrelated...and I think that makes a difference...I think families of related dogs get along better over all...what do you think about that?

• Oh, and it seems like the status seems a little more flexible at our house…especially among our older girls....Ivy can displace Blondie in most cases, but Ivy lets her go out the door first.

I understand what you are saying about a dog needing to have leadership qualities to succeed though...an insecure, but driven animal is a pain to have around...

• @Quercus:

That is really interesting Robyn. I don't seem to have that amount of control over my bitches….when they decide they hate each other, there doesn't seem to be anything I can do. Of course, they are all unrelated...and I think that makes a difference...I think families of related dogs get along better over all...what do you think about that?

I think that having families of related dogs does make a difference. In my house all 4 are related and though right now with the girls more hormonal everyone is a bit testy, they all get along pretty well. I also see the flexibility that you mention you see in your girls. What I mostly observe is that each dog has certain things that it values, it may be a chewy, a sleeping spot, being first out the door. My alpha bitch will give up certain chewies to her daughters because they are not of high value to her but not let them share her sunny spot or will let Rio but not Sophie.

• @Quercus:

Everything I have is related and I think this makes a huge difference in pack construction. Being born here and raised up means the dog has no question of its position from the beginning. Temperament plays a huge role though for if an animal has a strong disposition, relationship is immaterial.

Suggested Topics