Skip to content

Anesthesia??

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • :confused: I am going to be preparing for Toby to be neutered. The problem is that I have read about sighthounds and the problems they have with anesthesia, this worries me and I thought someone might have the name of a safer anesthetic? Any ideas?

  • @barkless513:

    :confused: I am going to be preparing for Toby to be neutered. The problem is that I have read about sighthounds and the problems they have with anesthesia, this worries me and I thought someone might have the name of a safer anesthetic? Any ideas?

    Isoflurane is the one that my Vets use and the one that most Vets now days use…that have been recommend for sighthounds, there is one new, name excapes me at the moment.....

  • Isoflorene anestetic is what I was advised for this breed. Can anyone confirm? I wrote it down on Duke's vet statement when the BCOSW came for a visit while talking about this issue.

  • @tanza:

    Isoflurane is the one that my Vets use and the one that most Vets now days use…that have been recommend for sighthounds, there is one new, name excapes me at the moment.....

    Would that be Similan?? While writing this info down, my scribble looks like that.

  • @Duke:

    Would that be Similan?? While writing this info down, my scribble looks like that.

    I honestly do not remember…..

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    177 Views
    N
    No sore spots whatsoever - though his stomach is almost permanently "taut" or flexed, unless he's had his anti-inflammatory meds. He eats well and can go to the bathroom well, but as days pass his hind legs are getting worse and worse (to the extent I'm sure he'll just end up permanently lame if I don't anything more). I am praying/hoping/wishing that laser therapy can provide some assistance, as his one session of a few weeks back resulted in him being almost "back to normal" for about 4-5 days! If I can get another miracle result, I think I will look into multiple treatments until he seems better. This is such a stressful time, but I'm grateful for your condolences/suggestions - everything helps - thank you so much!
  • Belly Rash

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    24k Views
    SavingS
    Did she always have them or did they start after something/some time? Do antihistamines clear the problem?
  • Weight issue

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    10k Views
    tanzaT
    @Rebel - Full blood workup including full Thyroid panel (full panel no just what the normal vet workup that is not a full thyroid panel)... as they say make sure that he is in good health. Also what are you feeding him? How much total are you feeding a day? Also with reducing food, add veggies to his food to fill his belly... green beans are good to use... I use Cauliflower and Broccoli... Note also that low normal is typically too low for Basenjis.
  • Harness Bold Spot

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    12k Views
    V
    thank you everyone! The collar is ordered :-)
  • 0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    tanzaT
    http://salukiclub.org/SalukiHealth/salukhealthanesthesia.html This is a good link and it does apply to all sighthounds. Most important to me is blood work up first, regardless of the age….
  • Anesthesia in Hounds

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    6k Views
    WBLW
    Thank you LiveWWSD and MacPack, that helped