Skip to content

How much should a pup eat

Basenji Feeding
  • Also, when judging weight it is good to feel along their ribs. How easily can you feel the ribs? Different dogs put weight on differently. Some it goes to their waist and some onto their ribs. It is important to look at the whole dog.

  • I an easily feel his ribs no fat there and he doesn´t have a potbelly.He just looks totally different in pic´s then real life.
    He and Max run and play in this big ex sheep enclosure 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening.Also there are ordinary walks inbetween e´s to young to be cycled with so this will have to do for now.

  • @myran:

    I an easily feel his ribs no fat there and he doesn´t have a potbelly.He just looks totally different in pic´s then real life.
    He and Max run and play in this big ex sheep enclosure 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening.Also there are ordinary walks inbetween e´s to young to be cycled with so this will have to do for now.

    Can you post a stacked picture?

  • Pat
    Ok but it has to be later today when my eldest son is here to help me cause i´m not exactly a computer whizz;))))))

  • It is very much based on the individual dogs - just like with humans!

    Jazzy always has had a tendency to chubby-up, even as a puppy I had to be very careful about how much she was fed. She's {2 yrs old} currently on a low-fat dog food {which she likes as well as I like human low-fat food, LOL}.

    Keoki, on the other hand, at 5 mos is lean. He is currently fed 1 3/4 cup of Puppy Chow a day {broken down as 3/4 cup in the morning, 1/2 cup around mid-day, and 1/2 cup in the evening}– which I think is about what you are feeding Myran, with multiple treats for training purposes throughout the day.
    Sometimes I can just see the outline of his ribs, depending on how he is standing. They are always easy to feel.

  • Ok Pat I don´t know what i did but look at my profile and there´s a pic of myran .So it´s not a erfect stacking pic I didn´t get them but he´s still posing although without leash;))

  • I think one of the culprits is all the treats(dried liver)but how else to motivate a basenji???

  • @myran:

    Ok Pat I don´t know what i did but look at my profile and there´s a pic of myran .So it´s not a erfect stacking pic I didn´t get them but he´s still posing although without leash;))

    From that picture he seems to be in great weight, but again… they change so much at this age... there is no real exact amount that they should get...

  • Ok i´ll just have to see how he looks after a couple of weeks on this new feed and take a pic and change the profile pic so that I get a second opinion right?;)

  • Hi Pat
    I´ve sent some pics on your kennel website hope it was ok and not intrusive.
    These are the pic´s taken at the show training.So judge yourself was it the photographer and bad angle or a chubby dog;)

  • I was also wondering how is Precept Plus adult/puppy rated in the US it´s quite popular here in sweden many breeders use it.In america the company that produces it is called Texas Farm Products Co they also market foods like ANF and Lone Star aswell as Espree shampoos etc…...And has this company been on the list of companies who had take of foods from the market ......

Suggested Topics

  • How much do you feed your basenji?

    Basenji Feeding
    27
    0 Votes
    27 Posts
    39k Views
    D
    My Bs, aged 9 and 11, get 1 cup of dry food, along with a small amount of canned food. My male, aged 5 gets 1 1/2 cups of food but he is being fed the Prescription Intestinal food along with canned. I rarely give treats and if I do it is a small portion. The amount really depends on the type of food you are feeding and the percentage of protein and fat and the activity level of the dog. Do you have a picture of your girl? Jennifer
  • Not Eating

    Basenji Feeding
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    6k Views
    nobarkusN
    For now try feeding cooked chicken and white rice.
  • Maya is not eating enough

    Basenji Feeding
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    6k Views
    MayaM
    There are too many Mayas on this site, i saw the title and thought it was one i'd done lol!! I have the opposite problem with my Maya, she is a little piggie, eats everything in site, and has learned how to get IN (yes, literally!) the "dog-proof" bin to get leftovers lol I've even been sending pics to her breeders asking if she is too fat as im paranoid lol I have her on a bit of a diet now… I feed Maya a mostly raw diet, but she has a meal a day of dry complete puppy food. She eats anything, but LOVES the raw. If you're trying to get your Maya more interested in eating then i'd buy some cheap mince or chicken and cook that for her, i bet she'd eat that no problems :D
  • Sometimes she eats good, sometimes not!

    Basenji Feeding
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    4k Views
    renaultf1R
    I wanted Brando to at least have some breakfast, but he wouldn't eat a lot. So I tried to split it equal amounts and he would always leave some. Then I gave him a smaller amount in the morning and then larger at night and that was the right balance and he now eats both meals fully. You might just experiment to see what might work if you really want her to have two meals. Also, I completely agree with Pat about controlled feeding. I think picky eaters then understand that if they want something to eat, they bettter get it now or they'll be waiting a long time. Ruby was REALLY picky until I switched food. Brando is still picky on occasion. Both have missed meals because they didn't eat within a set amount of time. One reason I really like controlled feeding is that if they are sick and not eating, you know it…also, it helps with controlled "output" as well.
  • What Food And How Much??

    Basenji Feeding
    22
    0 Votes
    22 Posts
    15k Views
    MacPackM
    Topper,12; Nicky 10, ; and Eddie 8 all eat a combination of 3/4 EVO by Innova, and 1/4 regular adult Innova. We free feed, dry kibble is down all the time, but I think I put about 3 cups out a day, some days they eat it all but some days I don't add kibble at all. Mine do get a bit of whatever we have for dinner, mostly veges, they love all veges as long as they are cooked, especially broccoli and sweet potatoes. IT acts as an appetizer, as soon as they finish their plates they run to the kibble bowls to finsih their dinner. We used cheaper grocery store foods for many years but I felt my dogs deseerved a better quality food so tried several premium brands and settled on Innova. Then when they came out with EVO, I slowly added that but when I went 100% EVO, their poops were a bit loose, so we re-added the regular Innova and it seems to suit them perfectly. Eddie's coat was very coarse when we rescued him, he is soft and silky now. Even though it costs about twice as much as the cheaper stuff, I know they are getting good nutrition and their coats glow and their teeth are clean, so it is worth every cent to me. We are what we eat, and if we eat 'animal by products' (hooves, bones, feathers and even sawdust in some) sprayed with flavors and dyed with food colorings, we may be saving money now, but inviting health probelms in the future. Just MHO, but strangers compliment my dogs on their gloss and vigor! Anne in Tampa, off the soapbox
  • Eats Pig Ears in Minutes

    Basenji Feeding
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    7k Views
    nomrbddgsN
    Feasting on pigs ears like he does is normal, like Andrea stated. Personally, I wouldn't give them to him all the time because they I feel they should be treated as treats and not food. White rawhide does not tend to break down in the digestive tract and cause all sorts of problems. Smoked bones are excellent and sometimes you can find a butcher who will sell a lot to you cheap. The stuff you get in stores I don't go for because of the preservatives-but to each his own.