Skip to content

Am I feeding him too much, I am new at this!

Basenji Feeding
  • Hello everyone! I've had my boy now for 3 months and I feed him Merricks Duck and sweet potato and I feed him a cup in the morning and a cup at night! Is that too much? Also, should I switch flavor kibble so things won;t be so boring for him? Please give me advice! I want to spoil my baby! :)

  • How is his weight?…. and how is his body type...? Can really feed according to just doing X amount morning and night. For example, my girls get 1/4
    cup 2x a day with a teaspoon of wet food and do quite well... a cup is a bit much, just as a FYI

  • As a general rule for adult dogs B-size for dry food: around 1% of their bodyweight per day.
    For puppies a bit more.
    Also depends on their activity, temperature and the like.
    Just check how close you are to this, and see how the body responds.
    We have found that a little food extra or less can make a difference.

Suggested Topics

  • Feeding Homemade Food

    Basenji Feeding
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    8k Views
    K
    Sounds good. We feed lamb ribs for chews (when in season) - soft enough but still good for the teeth. Any non-weight bearing bones are good. We get ours at a butcher shop, sometimes for free. Otherwise we find stuff in specialised (web)shops: camel hide, kangaroo, tendons, trachea, dried lung. There's a lot of stuff out there.
  • How much

    Basenji Feeding
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    8k Views
    P
    I have always found that when my Basenjis are ready to reduce the number of meals a day they just lose interest in one of the meals. At what time this happens varies - every pup is different.
  • Raw feeding

    Basenji Feeding
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    KipawaK
    As a newbie to the breed, I appreciate that all of the information is contained in one spot. It is great to be able to get a broad range of opinions in one thread.
  • Raw feeding

    Basenji Feeding
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    No one has replied
  • Feeding Schedule

    Basenji Feeding
    31
    0 Votes
    31 Posts
    25k Views
    lvossL
    What is Arlene weaning the puppies onto? Orijen has a good grain-free puppy kibble. I feed mine twice a day. The best schedule I have found for housetraining is to get them up and out to potty first thing then they play while I get breakfast together, they get their breakfast and then are out again after 20 minutes, usually for a short walk. The pup is then crated or ex-penned while we are at work. One of us comes home for lunch and the pup is pottied and played with so they are ready for an afternoon nap. When I get home they go out again and then play with the "big dogs". Everyone gets dinner between about 5-6pm then they are out for their evening walk about 20-30 minutes later. Then I make sure the pups get a good play session before bed and out to potty right before. Usually it takes a few weeks before they can hold it all night so plan on pee break in the middle of the night, just pick them up and out to potty then back to bed so they know it is for business and not play.
  • NEW recall - Treats

    Basenji Feeding
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    J
    Hollie and I have made another trip to the local dog bakery. No more treats that aren't homemade. I am attempting to cook for her too. It's more work, but definately worth the trouble.