Skip to content

Greetings from Florida! New basenji family

Member Introductions

Suggested Topics

  • Breeders

    Basenjis For Sale or Wanted
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    9k Views
    ZandeZ
    This is not the time of year to look for a Basenji in the Northern Hemisphere, let alone in Kent ! One breeder from there is reputed to have said he had enough advance orders for 4 years after the last year's rush to buy a Basenji ! But you could (maybe) get on a waiting list for next March delivery. Email me privately (address in websites on signature block) for a list of breed club secretaries.
  • How much puppy exercise?

    Basenji Talk
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    10k Views
    tanzaT
    @condesa said in How much puppy exercise?: Thanks so much! Makes me feel better. And I got her from Nocturnal Kennels in NC. Are the sire/dam DNA tested for Fanconi and PRA? Did you check for yourself at www.ofa.org as DNA tests for Fanconi/PRA are public posted for the results. If not you should have your girl tested. It is a cheek swab that you do yourself. You can order it at www.ofa.org and the cost is 65.00 for each test (Fanconi & PRA)
  • 0 Votes
    15 Posts
    14k Views
    eeeefarmE
    I think signalling is a great idea, although I have never used it. A friend taught her two Bichons to do it with a bell at the door. My dogs always let me know when they needed out. We had a regular routine, but if a potty break was needed at some other time, restless pacing and trotting toward the door was a pretty clear picture. Never a problem. Worst thing is the sound of a dog beginning to retch and jumping off the bed at 4 a.m. Seldom managed to get outside quick enough!
  • Trying our patience..

    Behavioral Issues
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    18k Views
    ZandeZ
    Take him out last thing at night so he can make himself comfy ? I have to take mine out - wimps - they won't go if I don't accompany them. Yes, its freezing and yes its dark. But Keeper's close-up vision is going going gone and he hates excursions into the night without Mom and although I'd much rather stay indoors, if I want to avoid being awoken, middle of the night there is no option. Frankly its a small price to pay for the comfort of two old Basenjis.
  • New here and new to Basenjis

    Member Introductions
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    3k Views
    No one has replied
  • New Basenji

    Member Introductions
    43
    0 Votes
    43 Posts
    21k Views
    KanangaK
    He's a hungry dog today. Gave him 1/2 cup in the morning and just a few minutes ago. He had no problem eating. I'm much more happy that he's eating now. He likes his bone as well. Not too much into the Kong yet. I just wish he didn't cry in his crate when I put him in there. Feel bad for him but I know it just takes adjusting. He is perfectly fine when I return home after he's been in there awhile. It's just the initial time. To be honest though, this transition went far better than I expected. I was prepared for the worst. This little guy has done very well.