• After reading my post, I realize that my assumptions about the dogs' status DOES effect how I manage them, because I mentioned the issue about sleeping in the bed. So, yes I do think about how the things I do MIGHT effect their relationships to each other…but I don't really know if they do....clear as mud?

In other words...I don't think that things like who goes thru the door first, and which dogs get fed first really matter that much...but I think that access to humans (especially in favored places, like sleeping places), or extended disruptions in the pack (new baby, dog leaves for show weekend) can effect their relationships.

• @Quercus:

In other words…I don't think that things like who goes thru the door first, and which dogs get fed first really matter that much...

When we just had four, Penny, Max, Cleo and Raven, the wife was letting them all out to go like she would every morning. Raven ran ahead of Cleo to the door , Cleo didn't like it and they went at it. Cleo did some serious damage to Raven and Gail. Whether something had been brewing prior or Cleo is just evil I don't know, but trust me we changed how we let them all out. We eventually gave up on keeping Raven and Cleo together at all.

Now we let Max and Cleo out together, she doesn't seem to care what he does.:rolleyes:

• There are personality differences in each dog and one minute they seem to be fine and the next-WHAM! you're wondering what was going on!

• @Basenji_Boy:

When we just had four, Penny, Max, Cleo and Raven, the wife was letting them all out to go like she would every morning. Raven ran ahead of Cleo to the door , Cleo didn't like it and they went at it. Cleo did some serious damage to Raven and Gail. Whether something had been brewing prior or Cleo is just evil I don't know, but trust me we changed how we let them all out. We eventually gave up on keeping Raven and Cleo together at all.

Now we let Max and Cleo out together, she doesn't seem to care what he does.:rolleyes:

Yeah…again, I should clarify. If two dogs are having status issues, then, yes something like one dog being disrespectful (or even just not being aware of the other dog) will trigger the other dog to reprimand, and that often starts a fight. If they aren't having status issues, then it doesn't seem to matter what happens. They can bump into each other, they can accidentally jump on the couch next to each other. They can hustle each other out the door. The tricky part is to try to figure out if they are having status issues BEFORE the next fight errupts. And I have found that it is very difficult, and takes a very wary eye to be able to see it before it comes to a head.

But, in my experience...guarding issues are not necessarily related to status issues. So a dog that launches off the couch to guard her human lap may not be trying to sort out status issues with the other dog. It sounds strange, I know...but that has been my experience.

• @Quercus:

The tricky part is to try to figure out if they are having status issues BEFORE the next fight errupts. And I have found that it is very difficult, and takes a very wary eye to be able to see it before it comes to a head.

Amen to that Andrea! We're learning and just when I think we're on top of things they throw another curve at us.
    Just based on what I've experienced with our's anyway, the AF's seem to be more concerned about status than the more domestic B's we have.

• this is a really interesting read. I always thought they are constantly challenging each other for top dog status.

i try to show no favoritism by feeding one first to not establish my opinion in the matter and remaining alpha mom.

in the pack of basenjis at the park, there is a definate alpha female and male of the group.

in the home when beta was around. caesar was constantly challenging her, biting her neck until she cried, but in the end, if she was pissed she would pull her ghetto side out and let him know who was in charge

cairo as a teen pup is trying to keep caesar off of my lap at night. he also is challenging caesar all the time. caesar does what beta used to do. when he is irritated he does one little move and cairo is on his back.

i am not talking about real fights though. but it seems like they are always challenging for that position.

• <_>

Some dogs may be always challenging…it does depend on the individual personalities. Just like some people, some dogs are constant status climbers 😉 some won't rest until they are unquestionably on top in every situation. But most are happy with status quo....

Some of what you described could just be raucous play. Querk doesn't care about status...he doesn't have to worry about his. But he will drive the girls NUTS when he is in a play mood. He growls, snarls, bites their butts, and their necks, until they are furious...but it is all in play, at least on his part.

I would hazard a guess, that if you (general you) aren't having actual fights, you probably don't have status issues. Puppies always have to sort out where they stand in the group around six months to a year old._

• Sugar is the one in my house with the issues-she doesn't like the other dogs playing together and she will get snarky with them. She's also very needy of individual attention. She wants to be top dog to the old girl that was there first. Doesn't happen when I'm around, she gets snarky off she goes for some time out. Depends on how tired she is as well as to how snarky she gets.

I don't think you'd want to see an actual fight, then you'd know you're in trouble-big time!

Suggested Topics