• Hello everyone, I’m looking for a pup in North America but seems almost impossible to get a pup because of most have a waiting list, I’m willing to open my search nationwide, anyone familiar with good breeders in other countries! Thanks

• @catalina - You will find that responsible breeders have full reservations list by this time of the year. If you have not, you can search for breeders at www.basenji.org by state

• Ok thanks.

• Cast your net world wide. We looked looked for ours when we were in Hawaii. And the mainland, none. So we got our basenji from NZ. Cost was $2000 in 1960 but he was worth it. Most cost was the plane transport of him.
    morse.stafford@gmail.com

• @morsesa Curious. I keep seeing you post this identical message in threads going back a long time. Seems odd, but ok. Anyway, curious if you realize that adjusted for inflation, $2,000.00 in 1960 is equal to $17,481.22 in 2020. Annual inflation over this period was 3.68%.That’s a pricey Basenji! 🤑

alt text

• Other countries are suffering the same problem during lock down and Covid. It seems people working from home have decided they can now have a dog. And from my experience, over 70 enquiries in the past few months and I haven't bred a litter for over ten years, the main attractions of a Basenji are that it doesn't bark, is clean and small. Scant attention is paid to other traits, habits or possible challenges.

We are weeding through with extreme care and fear many Basenjis could well be dumped when life returns to normal if it ever does

Similar is happening across Europe and in many countries.

There is also the fear that irresponsible breeders will try to cash in on the demand for these wonderful dogs, and breed from untested stock. That is a worldwide problem so do take care to pick a careful, responsible breeder and be prepared to wait

• @jengosmonkey I think 1960 is a mistype ! more like in the 1990s but still a lot of money then - whereas it wouldn't buy you much these days -

• @morsesa said in Looking for a pup:

Cast your net world wide. We looked looked for ours when we were in Hawaii. And the mainland, none. So we got our basenji from NZ. Cost was $2000 in 1960 but he was worth it. Most cost was the plane transport of him.
    morse.stafford@gmail.com

I would say to anyone that you need to check with breeders in NZ and/or Australia on this quote on price... As noted by Zande 1960 is a bit long ago, but even if it was in 1990 certainly would not be a realistic price in 2020. Cost alone for shipping and the fees attached to that would be over 2000.00 excluding the price of the pup. I would suggest you talk first about the price including shipping. However, there are some very good breeders in NZ and Australia

• @morsesa said in Looking for a pup:

Cast your net world wide. We looked looked for ours when we were in Hawaii. And the mainland, none. So we got our basenji from NZ. Cost was $2000 in 1960 but he was worth it.

What a wonderful memory! Your wisdom is valuable and so apt! Anyone looking for a Basenji should not limit themselves to one area, community, or region. It's clear that you treasured your pup and never regretted one penny of what it cost to get them home to you.

• Try Gonthter-Wagner Basenjis
    Brazil Indiana
    [removed private number]

Suggested Topics