Thinking about getting a basenji…

• @basenjibratz:

I've had mothers with 4 little children (ages 3 to 7 or so) tell me that they're looking for a family dog and I've pretty much discouraged them as to not getting a basenji. I don't know how a mom of 4 small kids could possibly give a basenji (or any dog) the attention they need.

I think a basenji being raised with a baby is fine and they can grow together and learn the respect and boundaries together. But I think a family of 4 getting a puppy and even a mature dog is not the best situation for the dog.

It's hard to tell. It may seem like that is a logical deduction, but I prefer to make a case by case judgement. Sometimes a mom with a lot of kids runs a much more structured home, and has more time for and is more prepared for a puppy than a single person, or childless couple. So I think you have to look at each situation individually.

• I had one person call to get a pup asap… cause she was due to have twin in a month and want time to train the pup???? HUH???? Then I had one that wanted the pup to "keep the kids busy" so she could do other things... HUH??? Well have to say, they didn't get one of my pups... and I did politely explain especially with the Mom expecting twins that I really didn't think it was a good idea to get a pup and there would be no way the he/she would be trainin in a month...

• @Quercus:

Sometimes a mom with a lot of kids runs a much more structured home, and has more time for and is more prepared for a puppy than a single person, or childless couple. So I think you have to look at each situation individually.

I completely agree with Andrea on this one. I have placed two girls (first one at 5 months old and the other 2 years later, at 10 weeks old) with a family that had 11 children. They now have 12 children and I have NEVER seen a more structured household… She has leash-trained these girls better than the majority of puppy owners I've had or seen in the past.

I certainly would NOT discourage someone with children getting a basenji. That is absolutely hogwash. My three brothers and I were raised with Basenjis... many of them. The basenji temperament is also MUCH better today than it was in the 70s and earlier.

• I've had mothers with 4 little children (ages 3 to 7 or so) tell me that >>they're looking for a family dog and I've pretty much discouraged them as >>to not getting a basenji. I don't know how a mom of 4 small kids could >>possibly give a basenji (or any dog) the attention they need.

Wow. That statement blows me away. And is bordering on being offensive.

My house has been full of kids and dogs for 20 years and it works out beautifully. The kids get all the attention they could possibly want; the dogs get the attention and training they want and need.

I've brought dogs into our home when we've had just one baby {adult Doberman}, two kids under the age of three corgi mix puppy}, three kids under the age of four {adult corgi mix} and four kids {ages 1, 3,5, and 7} - that's our Gypsy. And let me tell you, bringing HER into the home and making her into a family pet/house dog was WAY more challenging than bringing a Basenji in! Good Lord, she was big, wild and completely untrained.
    Jazzy came to live here when we had all six kids at home, but they were older {ages 6,8,12,14,15,17}, Keoki moved in this year when we had five kids at home {8,10,14,16,17}. And life for kids and dogs is pretty darned good.

Granted, my kids are older now than the example in the quote above, but I can tell you without a doubt or a moment's hesitation, bringing a Basenji into the home at any stage of child-rearing would not have been a problem.

I would hope that no breeder would refuse or even discourage a potential owner simply on the basis that they have young children at home.

• I know that there are breeders that create lists of "I will never adopt to …" or lists of "I will only adopt to ..." and often times these breeders will turn away good homes because they do not fit the list. I try to look at each home on a case by case basis. I have placed dogs into homes that fit on many of the "I will never adopt to..." lists that I have seen. These are all great homes but had young children active in extracurricular activities, wanted a second male basenji, owner is in college, first time owner and lives in the city, and no yard. One thing doesn't really describe a household. It really takes good screening to get the whole picture. The family with children has a great schedule because they have had to in order to keep up with their children's activities, the puppy fit right into their schedule and gets lots of attention and even has her own activity schedule.

• Exactly Lisa, each person/home should be evaluted on their own merits, not just "lumped" into a big pot….. screening is the key

• <_>

Some do…and some BRAT screeners also do. At least, from what I have been told..._

• @Quercus:

<_>

Some do…and some BRAT screeners also do. At least, from what I have been told..._

_
    I know that for pretty much a fact from some BRAT screeners_

• @Quercus:

<_>

_
    With BRAT it is not just discourage but flat out refuse on the basis of things like young children, no fenced yard, etc. They have very little flexibility when it comes to their criteria._

• I have to agree. We have contacted BRAT for fostering and after a month of waiting I haven't gotten so much as a response. I have noticed to that on the website they say that if the dog has not been exposed to children they won't even be considered. I think that is crazy. It is discouraging for people looking.

• Well, it's a good thing we went straight to a breeder! I'd considered BRAT, but decided to get a puppy instead. Good thing, because with six kids at home and lots of other kids in and out, we'd have never gotten a dog!

• @JazzysMom:

Well, it's a good thing we went straight to a breeder! I'd considered BRAT, but decided to get a puppy instead. Good thing, because with six kids at home and lots of other kids in and out, we'd have never gotten a dog!

Sad isn't it….

Suggested Topics