Skip to content

Basenji Mix all the instincts

Member Introductions
  • Adopted an nervous little Black and White mc Nab type who was in welp, surprise. Beautiful Gorgeous pups. Sire Basenji.
    Kept two pups. Most Beautiful Gate. Live Water sports, Mountains, They are magnificent. Own Fenced Yard to explore. premium care, training attention affection Most of the yard had been excavated, 5 cats killed, 3 attacked survivors. Chickens elsewhere I know of a least one. All the moles, squirrels and rattle snakes eliminated. Siding on house took a beating. Impossible to fool. Despite my best efforts they can fool me into thinking they were not nearby and run 30 mph out the gate to go hunting then return when thirsty. For each challenge and behavior that You resolve. A new one will present.
    I wouldn’t trade it for the world.
    There loyalty is beyond words.
    No slobbering, dog odor either.
    Very good house manners. Still I keep an eye on my shoes. Kimm

  • This is kind of an ode to Basenjis!!!

  • Sounds like they have an ideal life - the sort that is denied to all too many Basenjis ! Lucky little dogs !

    (Not sure I'd let them continue to kill cats though ?)

Suggested Topics

  • Is my pup Basenji mixed?

    Member Introductions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    tanzaT
    @elbrant - Better place to see what a Basenji looks like is on the BCOA site, www.basenji.org and go to https://basenji.org/index.php/shop/books-cd-s-illustrated-standard/illustrated-standard. You can review on line
  • Basenji mix?

    Member Introductions
    7
    1 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    ZandeZ
    @allyn said in Basenji mix?: Meanwhile I know that like a Basenji, he should never be off leash, and we always need to make sure the gate is securely shut, I have had Basenjis for a long, long time now. I have always let them run off lead in the woods away from traffic. They have all been taught - and I have had up to eight at a time although am now down to one, soon to be two (!) - to return to me if I whistle. Basenjis CAN be taught to run free and to obey commands. Yes, gates should be kept shut, tightly, at all times. But away from traffic, they can be trained to behave and allowed to run free. I have bought a puppy sling for my new boy so I can take him to the woods with Hoover, and let him meet lots of people and thoroughly socialise until he has had his shots. I don't intend to deprive Hoover of her freedom just because of the puppy. He will learn to walk on a leash but mostly he'll be the hunter nature intended him to be.
  • Basenji / Pointer mix?

    Member Introductions
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    8k Views
    tanzaT
    @silvercoo Depends on the mix... but then I do not agree or support mix breeds... but that is just my opinion... Thank for all that take shelter dogs and give them great homes...
  • Newbie, I think I have a Basenji Mix?

    Member Introductions
    38
    0 Votes
    38 Posts
    27k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    @Gigi said in Newbie, I think I have a Basenji Mix?: @eeeefarm She only barks if she actually sees or hears something - and it will be more than one bark, but she is by no means yappy - could be the collie in her :) Then again, when I tell Bailey to get the" red" or "green" ball, is she seeing the same "red" or "green" that I'm seeing, or is it just by word association, who knows? She always gets it right. I agree talking to our dog keeps them engaged with us. Here's a bit of news for you.. we don't see the same red and green as other humans. Not just those with various types of color blindness, but in general. Take one of those color vision tests with someone and you'll see when you rank things, or decide if blue or green, or if you can see the numbers in the pics. Neitz confirmed that dogs actually do see color, but many fewer colors than normal humans do. Instead of seeing the rainbow as violet, blue, blue-green, green, yellow, orange and red, dogs would see it as dark blue, light blue, gray, light yellow, darker yellow (sort of brown), and very dark gray.Oct 20, 2008 Psychology Today"
  • New Basenji mix owner

    Member Introductions
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    8k Views
    thunderbird8588T
    Welcome Wes and Anne, i'm sure you will love this forum. You are right Basenjis are certainly a challenge but definately worth it. Perhaps the other bit of her will make her a bit easier to train?
  • 0 Votes
    15 Posts
    9k Views
    hdterryH
    Welcome…I agree with Andrea as well...she is a pretty girl...