• Hi, I bought my last Basenji from Brushy Run, Beverly B. She was a wonderful girl but time called her home. I am wanting to look fir another older female Basenji when I am in Gilbert, AZ this winter. Someone made a recommendation several months ago and I can't find the info. Any recommendations on breeders in that vacinity that breed for health and longevity? I want a mature, healthy female that is non aggressive, good with kids and loves to travel in a car. Suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you!

• @abaihya said in Breeders in the Gilbert area:

I want a mature, healthy female that is non aggressive, good with kids and loves to travel in a car...

I get it, everyone wants a healthy dog. Makes sense. But requesting specific personality traits could really narrow your options. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that there isn't a Basenji out there that would be perfect. I'm sure there is.
    But I do want to remind you that traits like "non-agressive", "good with kids", and "loves to travel" are directly related to how you interact with the dog.

If your children tease (any dog), the dog will learn not to trust them and it will affect the dog's personality. Even to the point of becoming agressive. The dog you get might be fine for a trip to the dog park, but not 6 hours on the highway. But that's something else that depends on you. Recognize that you will need to stop at a rest area and give the dog a chance to stretch their legs (so to speak) -- which could potentially add another half hour to the journey.

Look for a dog that is healthy and happy to be with you. And make sure that you interact with them in a way that encourages the kind of behavior that you want.

• Thank you for your response. The reason I mentioned those traits is because Brushy Run dogs bred by Beverly were intentionally bred to have those traits. My 3 different basenjis all were great with kids, non agressive and travelled well in the car and motorhome. Everyone loved them because of their temperment......however I did get them as puppies. I'm no longer looking for a puppy but an older retired dog. The breeder should know if their dog possesses these traits. Because of my grandchildren who loved my last Basenji and were very good with her, I don't want to take a chance with an agressive dog. If it limits my options so be it. I am hoping someone who knows where Bevs dog are will respond. She has quit breeding since the loss of her husband. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

• @abaihya said in Breeders in the Gilbert area:

Brushy Run dogs bred by Beverly were intentionally bred to have those traits

oh... yes, that makes so much more sense! A blessing that you had one of their dogs. A shame that you might not have that option this time around. I do hope that you find "just the right dog". 🙂

• Thank you. I hope so. I'm also hoping that the breeder that has some of Bevs basenji will post and let me know....or someone will tell me who would be a great choice for me.

• @abaihya - Have you called other breeders in the area? Go to www.basenji.org and you can search by state.

• Thank you. Someone posted before who has Bevs basebjis. I am hoping they will see this post and let me know again. In the mean time, I will try your suggestion. Thanks again!

Suggested Topics