Skip to content

Basenji like cats?

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Hey guys, just curious about something that happens maybe once a month.

    My 2.5 yr old tends to clean himself like any other basenji, but some mornings I wake up to the sound of him overly licking his areas. Then 5min later he's barfing almost like a cat barfing up a hairball. Sometimes it's yellow bile, other times it's kibble. It is summer so paws are probably rough even though we keep them pretty clean and protected. Most times he's back to normal by end of day eating normally.

    Any experiences with a barfing basenji?

  • Grooming is normal. However excessive licking is likely because their stomach is off. When my Bandit feels sick, he licks excessively. Two things help, first three or four smaller meals throughout the day help stop the yellow bile. Secondly not overfeeding helps, if he overeats he will be sick. I am sure a good quality possibly grain free diet helps some dogs too, as mine sometimes has allergies.

  • Make sure you give him a very late snack so his stomach isn't empty. You may also want to try an acid reducer for a few months and see if that stops it.

    I don't do small meals, but I do 2 regular and 2 snacks because otherwise Cara throws up, often.

Suggested Topics

  • Age of your basenji?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    42
    2 Votes
    42 Posts
    22k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Yeah you told me about that before and I'm clueless, but I'll try it if I need to, lol. could be the noise of occasional thump, could be they can hear it even tho we can't. My chow would be drooling buckets before we got a mile away. I just had to keep towels down and take off and bag along the trip. But I took her for a 7 hr trip to atlanta and she threw up and threw up, then stopped. Never threw up again. :( on your back. I had been getting radiofrequency ablations in the US, and they really helped. But doctors here will only do them once or twice. I have had at least 6 on one side, 3 on the other. :( But it's miraculous pain relief when it is done right. Maybe your dog acupuncturists knows of a human one they'd recommend?
  • Is this a Basenji?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    26
    0 Votes
    26 Posts
    27k Views
    ShannaniganS
    So many of those poses and positions are the same things I see Paco do. I'm also no expert, and Paco's my first dog that's mine-all-mine for me to watch all the time, but I feel like Tag's face is very Basenji-like…and if he yodels as well... if he doesn't have Basenji in him, I'd at least say you could describe him to others as a Basenji-like dog.
  • Itching Basenji!

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    12k Views
    nobarkusN
    It's most likely a yeast infection. They get it in the ears quite often. Buddy has a yeast infection right now on his stomach.
  • Is it a Basenji???

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    11k Views
    MandyM
    I have gotten the comment of min doberman. lol…. could have been her spiked Harley collar.
  • Homeopathy for Basenjis?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    MaxBooBooBearM
    Yes–I forgot that there are actually homeopathic vets available. We are so lucky here in the Bay Area--we have great vets, specialists and also UC Davis veterinary school/drs not too far away--and believe me--I have used all of these resources over the past 18 years.....
  • Basenji Eyes

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    19
    0 Votes
    19 Posts
    11k Views
    MaxBooBooBearM
    I'm glad to hear the spinal tap went so easily. What a brave little girl Keba is. When I first saw she was getting a spinal tap, I thought oh–that sounds painful. I hope things start improving for her.