• I just purchased "Lucy the Basenji" training video on the web at http://www.basenjivideos.com/. I'll let you know how it is. Maybe someone here has already seen it. I'm just curious as to what this guy is doing.

• You know, ME TOO!! I saw this but there was no detail on method or training structure which sounds odd to me.

I'd love to hear your feed back on this video.

• I received and watched the training video "Lucy the Basenji" yesterday. The guy does a pretty good job teaching the tri color, Lucy tricks using the treat reward method with alot of positive praise. He also trained her to do some tricks by hand signal. He briefly covers other things like the breed history, Basenji behavior, crating, house training, feeding, etc. The only thing he didn't cover was grooming. Basenjis need to be groomed (bathed and combed with a curry brush). The only thing I didn't like was his teeth cleaning method. Instead of brushing he would just sit on the couch with the dog and hold a some green chew bone while the dog chewed on it. You have to brush them.

• Well, I sort of disagree with your remark on bathing… unless I am going to a show or they have rolled in something nasty... I might give mine (all 4 at this time) a bath once a year and that is this time of year when they are blowing coat... This time of year I do curry at least once a week or use a stripping knife... but not many baths.... OH and this time of year after currying them.. I use the vacuum to pick up the loose hair both on them or around them on the grooming table... Mine could not care less about using the vacuum on them... ggg... but vacuum the floors and it is "kill" the monster....

• Pat,
    I didn't say how often, I just said they need to be bathed. Every dog is different in a different environment. Yours may be OK bathing once a year. Mine go outside and lay in the dirt in the backyard. If a dog is having some coat problems it may need bathing more often. At one time one of mine was having some health issues so I had to bath every 2 months. So everyone's situation is different.

• @nobarkus:

Pat,
    I didn't say how often, I just said they need to be bathed. Every dog is different in a different environment. Yours may be OK bathing once a year. Mine go outside and lay in the dirt in the backyard. If a dog is having some coat problems it may need bathing more often. At one time one of mine was having some health issues so I had to bath every 2 months. So everyone's situation is different.

Amen to that… I guess I was just saying, bathe as needed instead of a general rule of giving baths for the sake of giving a bath..... of course mine lay in the dirt also, heaven forbid that they would use the lawn.... of course the best place is the concrete since it is the warmest... with the sun on it

• Ok so good recap…he's not doing anything new that we haven't all heard of before 🙂 good to know!

But what's interesting is this curry thing...what is it?? how do I get one?? and what do I do with it once I get it??

LOL 🙂

• Basenji Mom,
    Curry comb is made of rubber. They use them on horses. I use one that fits in the palm of my hand. It's like 4"L x 1-3/4"W. It has rows of little nibs. It picks up those little tiny Basenji hairs. It really makes a difference. I comb mine daily. It stimulates the coat. Any pet store will have them.

• Another good tool is called a Zoom Groom…. again available at pet stores

• Great info..thanks. We were using a regular pet brush looks kinda like what I use on my hair 😃

• The curry combs or things like the Zoom Groom will stimulate the skin, loosen dead hair, etc.. and the you can brush with a regular brush..

• I see there are various sizes available..any suggestions on size? Multi Stripping Curry Comb & Rubber Curry..Coarse, Medium, Fine, Super Fine…oh geez

• @jys1011:

I see there are various sizes available..any suggestions on size? Multi Stripping Curry Comb & Rubber Curry..Coarse, Medium, Fine, Super Fine…oh geez

LOL…. the rubber curry works well, and Medium, again I really like the Zoom Groom with the longer fingers.... you can google Zoom Groom...

• My curry comb has short little nibs very close together. It collects a lot of those little hairs and then I just rinse it under running water using a finger nail scrub brush to clean it out. Takes a less then a minute.

Suggested Topics